“Bad Place in a Great Area” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   507 South First Street, Austin, TX 78704 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #132 of 182 hotels in Austin
Albany
“Bad Place in a Great Area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I chose this hotel for its great proximity to Zilker Park for the recent ACL Festival - it is the closest place to stay, and a great quick walk there. So in that regard, this place can't be beat.

It seems like a selling point that it has a little efficiency kitchenette with a counter and chairs to sit at.. It was stocked with a few pots and pans, flatware and dishes, working fridge, two burner cooktop, some dishtowels and a little packet of dish soap - it comes with everything you should need - but has a kind of run down look that makes you feel like it isn't really clean.

The room was pretty clean, bed and bedding ok, no sign of any bugs. Bathroom was clean, but the toilet made a LOUD noise about half the times it was flushed. The shower was clean, good water pressure, plenty of hot water. Towels were scratchy low quality, I did get one bar of soap and a little tube of shampoo. The hook on the back of the bathroom door was barely hanging on, so no place to hang a towel - not very environmentally friendly to just throw it on the floor!

The décor of hallways (big stains on the carpeting) elevators, and lobby just seemed cheap and run down. For 229 per night, it was no bargain, especially since the Sheraton Capital was only 179 (although that luxury was just too far to walk from ACL). Next time I'll stay nicer and take a cab!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Mary K - I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I am pleased to read that you found our location and hotel rooms amenities convenient for your stat. Please accept our most sincere apologies that the condition of our hotel did not meet your expectations. We are currently schedule to undergo a full refresh of our location beginning the end of this year.

I really appreciate sharin your experience with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at adt@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is definitely the worst hotel I've stayed in within the US. The room was dirty and this "nonsmoking room" smelled horribly of stale cigarettes. A guest walked by and muttered, "watch out for the roaches." I am sorry to say he wasn't joking. For an extended stay hotel, or any hotel, this was outrageous. There was nothing in the room, not even shampoo or an alarm clock. Also no fitness center or business center. In late evening, no one even at front desk to arrange a wakeup call. I am NOT picky but I would have left if this had not been prepaid by my company. I cannot believe I had to go out and buy air freshener and roach spray just to deal with this place for a few days, but there it is.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Katelin - Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. The situation you described regarding the condition of the room is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. To prevent this from happening again, my team will be making sure to treat and diffuse rooms that have a smell and possible insects. Still, I am pleased that our location was ideal for your stay.

I will continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate that you provided us with your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at adt2@extendedstay.com, I would like to discuss this matter further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.
Old Town Alexandria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Anyone giving this $hitdump anything above one star HAS to be a stockholder. I made a reservation at this "hotel" for a 5 night stay after my original hotel reservation was given away when my flight was majorly delayed. I was in town for a conference and rooms were hard to come by. This was the only "hotel" in the city limits that had availability...I now know why. Upon walking into my room I was greeted by a smell that I imagined was the remnants of the meth lab that someone was running in there. Moldy bathroom, dirty carpets, sandpaper sheets and SKETCHY guests walking up and down the halls knocking on doors all night—I seriously got the impression a minor prostitution ring was being run out of the 2nd floor. I stayed a total of 6 hours and checked out the next morning...I didn't even bother complaining, I was just happy I wasn't murdered in my sleep.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Lets start off with the positive. The location is good, close to downtown as well as South Austin restaurants and bars. The place was a good price but you obviously get what you pay for. Now for the negative. The room reeked of cigarette smoke even though it was a non smoking room. The entire room was dirty including the sticky carpets. The worst feeling ever is walking around on sticky carpets in a hotel room. The bathroom was disgusting all around. The floor was sticky, the corners were black, and the was hair left over from a previous stay.

I understand that this is a relatively inexpensive hotel for downtown Austin, but you would expect some decency from the place, and got none. Pay the extra money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. The situation you described regarding the cleanliness of the bathroom and carpet area of the room is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. I met with the staff, and we will be taking extra precautions in how we clean as it pertains to the removal of hair in the bathroom area. Also, we will have the maintenance staff clean the carpets more often to ensure that this room condition is not repeated in the future.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at adt@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Clean, perfect location, staff are nice, but still expensive regarding the services given! I don't think that what they offer for breakfast could be called " breakfast"
We loved our stay there, we will definitely come back again and check their hotels in other states!

• Stayed September 2013
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the staff. I am sorry our Grab & Go breakfast was not properly communicated to you during your reservation or at check in. This is something that I will be sure to address with the staff to make sure our guests know what to expect when they arrive at our hotel. Thank you again for posting your review. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

This was my 3rd time staying at this location. It is a diamond in a rough. Great location, friendly staff and great value. We stayed for 7 days with coupon for $498. Would def recommend booking asap for better rates. I booked our trip about 8 months in advance and kept checking back for deals.

• Stayed July 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel for both the location and staff. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Kansas City, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I feel bad saying negative things about this hotel because I got an insanely low price for my room via Priceline. That' being said I'll start with the positives: 1) excellent location to downtown with free parking 2) the staff is courteous and helpful. On the negative side, the rooms do need updating. Smelly and outdated. But if you simply need a place to crash at night while you're out and about all day long, this will be a great choice due to its low prices.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am happy to read your remarks about the great customer service our staff provided to you and our location, which you enjoyed. Still, I am very sorry that the condition of your room did not meet your expectations. To uphold our company's high standards, we will be working to improve our offerings. As well, please know, our hotel is going to be receiving a refresh in the near future which will assist is achieving this goal.

Been to Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake? Share your experiences!