“Decent overnight stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake

You added Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   507 South First Street, Austin, TX 78704 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #139 of 188 Hotels in Austin
Kansas City, MO
“Decent overnight stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I feel bad saying negative things about this hotel because I got an insanely low price for my room via Priceline. That' being said I'll start with the positives: 1) excellent location to downtown with free parking 2) the staff is courteous and helpful. On the negative side, the rooms do need updating. Smelly and outdated. But if you simply need a place to crash at night while you're out and about all day long, this will be a great choice due to its low prices.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am happy to read your remarks about the great customer service our staff provided to you and our location, which you enjoyed. Still, I am very sorry that the condition of your room did not meet your expectations. To uphold our company's high standards, we will be working to improve our offerings. As well, please know, our hotel is going to be receiving a refresh in the near future which will assist is achieving this goal.

I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at adt@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

I stay at this hotel frequently when I am in Austin for my work. It used to be a Homestead Suites with all of the amenities you would come to expect from one. It changed to an Extended Stay Hotel and in my opinion, now fails to uphold the higher standards of inexpensive hotels that I've come to expect from similar hotels. As soon as I walked in the door I could smell cigarette smoke in the lobby area and throughout the hallways. The room was clean and smelled nice, so I could tolerate the hallways if all I had to do was walk through them. The bed, on the other hand, felt like I was sleeping on a rock. Indeed, the first night I was here I fell asleep on the couch. When I woke up in the middle of the night, I moved to the bed, only to discover the couch was much more comfortable. I used to enjoy staying in this hotel; now, I'm looking for somewhere else. If you are desperate for a place to lay your head, this is a great place to go. If you have a choice, find somewhere else.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
John - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Please know, since our hotel transitioned to being an Extended Stay, we have made some changes for the benefit of our guests and will continue to do so throughout the remainder of the year. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are stressing the importance of not only the rooms being fresh and clean, but the halls and public areas as well. As well, I do apologize that the bed was not comfortable, we have replaced many of the mattresses throughout the hotel. The new mattresses were chosen based on guests feedback.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at adt@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My stay was due to a last minute extension of my trip to Austin, and I just needed something cheap for one night. I used Priceline and my bid for a 2-star property was accepted. I am surprised to read so many negative reviews of this property. The only annoying aspect of my entire stay was somewhat slow check-in. The location is excellent -- great for anyone wanting to be near downtown. It is a very safe location, and there is a Whataburger across the street. My room on the third floor was modern, spotless, and the bed was comfortable. There was no smoke smell. Everything worked as it should. So unless you have unfairly high expectations, this property is fantastic. I'd highly recommend it, especially if you need to be near Downtown Austin.

Room Tip: You may get this hotel as a result of a two-star priceline.com bid.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am glad to read that you were pleased with your overall experience while visiting Extended Stay Ameirca Townlake.

Once again, thank you again for your review. It would be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, great location, just a short walk from downtown and South Congress. A lot of restaurants and bars around. Great place to get public transportation from and to the airport. I didn't use the kitchen.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and that the location was perfect for you.

Once again, thank you again for sharing your comments with us. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed here for a night to see Austin, despite the bad reviews we had read here we wanted someplace we could walk to town and this hotel is ideal, its a 10 minute walk to 2nd Street and the same to Bat Bridge. The rooms were lovely, very comfortable and kitchen included as part of the room. We had one slight issue in the bathroom which we resolved thanks to reception staff, all of whom were very friendly and helpful, in fact ten minutes after arrival into our room the front desk called us to see if we were happy. The carpets throughout are probably ready for a change which I imagine is where the 'grungy' remark came from but our bedroom carpet was good. The breakfast could do with some attention, we went down at 9.15, 15 minutes before it finished and everything was gone including the coffee, I asked if we could have a cereal/health bar which is what breakfast consisted of apparently with fruit, but was told no they were finished, I thought that was poor as I am sure they would have more. Despite that our room was great, hotel is nice and it is an ideal location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Please accept our apologies that the staff was not very responsive to your request to grab you something off the breakfast bar. Still, we are pleased to know that the rooms met with your expectations despite the reviews that you read. We do take the guest reviews to heart and use them a training tools to improve our staff and our hotel. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Carlsbad, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Rooms come with a kitchenette complete with toaster, microwave and fridge. Bed is comfortable. A/C works. Staff at the front desk were personal and pleasant. However, no one answered the phone when I called to inquire about checkout time. Not a problem, I picked my own.
A "mini-breakfast" is included. Consists of coffee - not bad and packaged mini muffins. Don't pick this place for the breakfast.

However, this non-smoking room stank from cigarettes wafting from the floor (or room) below. The A/C is so loud that one can't hear the TV every time it kicks in. The carpet is old and in below average condition. The tub has a nice culture of mold growing here and there. I suppose that adds a bit of life to the room. Fixtures need a bit of updating and the doors and hallways could do for a painting.

Room Tip: To get the best room, pick another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about the room layout and the staff; however, we apologize that your room did not meet your expectations. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will have our housekeeping and maintenance staff correct the issues outlined in your review to make sure your experience is not repeated.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at adt@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Positives - really well positioned so you can walk to downtown and South Congress and it's very accessible by car - so for a short stay in Austin I would give it a qualified recommendation.
Negatives - has seen better days. Front desk staff were the most uninterested I have ever encountered in the USA and the whole place felt slightly dirty - all the bathroom and bedroom fittings were obviously old with some staining and it just felt low-rent.
General ambience not helped by a fellow guest spilling french fries all down our corridor overnight on our 2nd night - which had not been cleared up by 9-10am

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Thank you for the kind comments about the convenience of our location; however, we apologize for the lack of attention our staff provided to you and the level of cleanliness throughout our hotel. Please know, our front desk staff is comprised of some brand new team members who are still training. I will be speaking with them directly, regardless. Also, I will be working with our housekeeping staff to ensure our property is kept in line with our Company's standards at all times.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly, at adt@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Been to Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake? Share your experiences!