“Reasonably priced considering location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake

You added Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   507 South First Street, Austin, TX 78704 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #137 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Carbondale, Colorado
“Reasonably priced considering location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My family of three stayed for several nights in a room with a queen and pullout sofa bed, and a kitchen. The room was really cramped for this many people, especially because of a rather small closet and no dresser, and especially with the sofa pulled out for sleeping. Also, the pullout was very uncomfortable. But the room rate was less than for other accomodations in the same area, about a 1/2 mile walk from downtown. There are several restaurants only a block away. There is ample free parking for guests in a lot that seems fairly secure.

The kitchen had the barest assortment of china, utensils, and cooking supplies that I have ever encountered in an accomodation advertising kitchen facilities, although the stove, microwave oven, and refrigerator were satisfactory. The room had a wall mounted air conditioner that kept the room at a set temperature, but was noisier than a cental unit. Otherwise, the place was quiet except for occasional load mouthed people in the hallway outside the room, and had daily cleaning and towel replacement by staff.

I wouldn't rule out staying there again, but I would first check the prices at some other hotels in the hope of finding something with a nicer room for not much greater cost.

Room Tip: Get one with sufficient beds for everyone, rather than a pull-out sofa bed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, October 1, 2012

Again, I am sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of our other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

This was a nice hotel for a quick visit to go to 6th Street. The staff was nice, efficient and helpful during check-in and check-out. The beds were hard but outside of that everything was fine. There wasn’t a lot of noise, the taxis came through often, but the hallways could use some airing out. Things were a little stuffy. They only had a smoking room available, but the smell was not overwhelming. The AC was great, it worked perfectly, the refrigerator was clean and cold, the TV had as the channels you’ll need and the shower had great water pressure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback about your stay at our hotel. The staff and I strive to provide friendly service, clean rooms and comfortable surroundings; it is rewarding to know that we were able to do just that for you! Please do accept my apologies about the bed. Our company polled guests around the country in order to make an educated decision on which type to place in the rooms. It seems that they are not perfect for everyone; however, I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay overall. We loved having you as our guest!

It would be our pleasure to have you visit with us again in the future or at any of our other brand locations. Thank you once more for your kind words.
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We booked a last-minute room with Homestead Suites and found the front desk staff to be kind and helpful. Our room had a king sized bed and a double pull-out couch. Both were comfortable and the air conditioning was fine. The bathroom could use a touch up as the toilet seat was chipped and looked a bit beat up. Besides that, it was an over all fine stay and the kitchenette was perfect for our needs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at our hotel. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice.

Alvin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I wanted a hotel close to downtown without spending a fortune, and Homestead Suites filled the bill. Yes, the bed could have been more comfortable and the room better furnished, but I don't go to Austin to hang out in a hotel and after a full day of fun, I slept just fine. The room was clean, I felt safe, and all the employees I spoke to were super friendly. Between the excellent rate I got on Priceline and free parking, it couldn't be beat!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Homestead Austin - Downtown - Town Lake. We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, so I was pleased to read your remarks about your room. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

We know that you have several lodging options, which is why it is so important to us that we provide you with a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price. We recognize that if our guests can't get a good night's sleep, they won't return, so we've chosen bedding that we hope best suits their needs. I do take seriously your concern, and promise that we will continue to look for ways to make sure every guest is as comfortable as possible when staying with us.

Long Island, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Wow... it's bad. The rooms are fairly beat-up - matted down carpet, rough comforters and generally dingy throughout. I found long black hair in my bathroom, and there was visible mildew throughout the tub and tile. The air conditioning in my and my friend's room was louder than was acceptable - making a shuddering noise when it turned off. Windows did not have sheers, so it was either full exposure to the outside world, or feeling as if you were in a cave. When I woke up in the morning, we walked outside of my room to find a random individual passed out face-down on the carpet. I told the front desk, and they immediately took care of it, but I had to wonder how long the guy was lying there. For the same price, there are too many other options in the area that are far better...

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

We know that our guests have many lodging options, which is why it is so important to us that we provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price. The description you presented of your accommodation is not representative of our quality standards and as such is clearly not acceptable. In order to meet our standards going forward, I will work with my staff to ensure that you and our future guests do not experience this type of incident.

As well, I am sorry to hear that your AC unit did not work as expected. I have contacted Maintenance who are now working on the machines to ensure the same experience does not happen again in the future.

Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed here to watch the amazing 4th of July fireworks and Symphony show that Austin puts on every year. The hotel was two blocks away from the park where the fireworks were displayed which made for easy walking and no mess of driving out during the big rush! Location of the hotel is the best feature. Especially nice was the cost of the hotel compared to other hotels that were similar distances from the fireworks display - this hotel was about 60% of the cost of the other hotels, plus free parking and a full kitchen. Those perks were great, but the comfort of the bed was my one big complaint. I did not sleep well. The bed was harder than I've seen at even the cheapest hotels. For a place fitting the extended-stay crowd, having a bed worth staying for would be a draw for me.... If location is key, stay here, but I wouldn't stay more than an overnight trip. The bed comfort isn't worth the cost saved. Hotel staff were overwhelmed and understaffed for an evening check-in. Bathroom was mostly clean, but still could use some work. A used pair of contact lenses was left on the nightstands - a clue to how thorough the room was cleaned?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Austin - Downtown - Town Lake. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Given how hard we work to provide our guests with outstanding accommodations, I was troubled to read your remarks about the bed in your suite. Please know how important your comfort is to us. We have chosen bedding that we think best fits our customers' needs, and we continue to look for new ways to satisfy everyone's sleeping preferences.

San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I was able to get a great rate for this room on priceline. It's about a mile walk to 6th st. I felt totally safe 1am in the morning. For the cheap rate I wasn't expecting much, just wanted to hang out dt w/o and not pay a lot. The room was spacious, clean, and quiet. The bathroom did have some mildew, but the water was hot and I had soap. lol.

If you want a cheap room w/in walking distance to 6th, this is it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Austin - Downtown - Town Lake. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the cleanliness of your accommodation. First, please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Standard cleaning procedures include a thorough cleaning and disinfecting of kitchens and bathrooms. Additionally, prior to making any room available, we inspect it to ensure that our normal procedures have been followed. Given the account you described, there was clearly an unacceptable break down in our regular operations, so I have met with my staff to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence.

Been to Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake? Share your experiences!