“Dirty,depressing and dull” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park
Ranked #161 of 184 Hotels in Austin
bryants bottom
“Dirty,depressing and dull”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Just been dumped here miles from trendy Austin .its cold and depressing on the side of a freeway surrounded by nothing but roads.tried to walk 'somewhere' but got nowhere.... Found a dead dog....it's cold and the bedding is single ply nylon that slides off you with the static...I've been turning the cooker on to keep warm but bit scared of carbon monoxide poisoning as I get a bit sleepy.this could be boredom though.found my self listening to morrisey and Leonard Cohen.oh we'll only 5 more weeks,thanks for having me...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
RDOAustin, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the location of the hotel, as well as the issues you experienced with the bed linens and heating in your room. In response to your feedback, I am going to make sure my staff is checking to ensure all the heaters are functioning properly. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. I hope that you will contact me directly, at ANR@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have stayed at the Extended Stay American on Research Boulevard in NW Austin three times now. The interior isn't pretty - ugly green carpet and fluorescent lighting, and the rooms can have a bit of a funky industrial cleaning supply smell that you won't notice after a little while - but, if you're looking for a clean, decently maintained room for a few days or weeks it isn't bad. Like I said, I've stayed here 3 times and expect to stay here again. My only real complaint is breakfast. Coffee and vending machine muffins. A month ago, they also served bagels you could toast, but that has been discontinued. About 15 minutes from central Austin (non-rush hour), if you're on the road and looking for a solid, economical choice of where to stay this is a good choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
RDOAustin, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that the lighting and carpet are not to your expectations, nor the breakfast or coffee we provide not being up to your standard. In response to your feedback, I am looking into different flavor coffee. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate your comments about the lighting and carpet. I invite you to contact me at anr@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
San Salvador
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed for two nights in October 2012. The hotel is all right. It is probably filled during the week and shows the wear. The location is good. Rooms are large. Having the kitchen in the suite is a plus. All clean enough. Price seemed a bit on the high side, but is probably market price for that area of Austin. Free breakfast was minimal. Much prefer the Dunkin Donuts down the road. Nothing happened that would cause me not to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
RDOAustin, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that the condition of the room did not meet your expectations. In response to your feedback, I am going to evaluate the condition of the rooms and public spaces to see about replacing worn and outdated items. Also, I will counsel my staff on restocking the breakfast when needed. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please reach out to me at ANR@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed for one night that I got very cheap on Priceline. As per the other reviews it was a little bit grim but not too bad and I didn't mind given the price.

It was a bit dirty (there was a malteser on the floor of my room that cleaning had left there) so probably not the place for a germ-o-phobe and like other people have said it has crickets (one ran through my room and I saw a few dead ones in the hallways - but I imagine that's not uncommon for a very hot city.

Breakfast is a bit sparce but just standard cheap motel fare.

It's not terrible, but its not great, either. On the plus side the rooms are very big and it's very convenient for getting into Austin. I can't really recommend it but if you're looking for somewhere cheap to stay you could do far worse.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this review, October 2, 2012

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Everything was fine. Hotel staff was friendly, rooms were as clean as they should've been. Read lots of other reviews that were bad, but this is not a 4 seasons. If you want a night to stay in Austin you should come here if you get a great rate. $90 a night is a little steep.

• Stayed October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that our property did not meet your expectations; however, I am glad to hear that your one night with us was good. We strive to provide everyone with the best in customer service and accommodations.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other brand locations in the future.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I want to say I went to Austin for personal reasons and I have to say they have an amazing staff at this hotel. I was overwhelmed by the generosity of the manager Adam. He was very helpful in everything I needed and went above and beyond to make sure my stay their was the best it could have been.Consuelo my housekeeper was also just as nice and professional. In this day in age it is hard to find people who are willing to make sure there guest are well taken care of. I will defiantly make sure I stay at this hotel every time I am in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at our hotel. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I noticed that previous guests have commented on the cricket infestation and filthy carpets and lack of ice machine. I wish I had read this review before booking my stay here, because none of those concerns have been addressed. Furthermore, I would like to add the following comments:
1. I had to replace my key card EVERY day over a 4-day weekend, because the locks/key cards malfunctioned.
2. For some reason, the maid service neglected my room EVERY day over the same 4-day weekend.
3. The T.V./cable gets horrible reception.
4. The stairwells smell horrible.
5. Some of the lamps do not work in the room.
6. The vending machines did not work.
7. The faucet and shower leak.
7. I'm not actually certain that this hotel employs anyone. After checking in, it was nearly impossible to find an employee at the front desk, or by dialing "0" on the room phone.

I booked this stay through priceline.com. That was probably my mistake. I only spent $40/night, but that was too much for this horrible place.

Room Tip: Rooms in any other hotel/motel would be preferable.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this review, September 4, 2012

The housekeeping staff strives to provide clean rooms for all of our guests. They clean each room every 7-days, or in between upon guest request for a minimal daily fee, and after each guest checks out. I apologize if this was not conveyed to you upon check-in, we will work to improve this moving forward.

As well, I am sorry for the rest of the issues you experienced, from the lack of reception for the television and the key card not working appropriately. I will be speaking with the staff about your review, and will use it as an example to learn from to ensure the situations you experienced do not happen again.

Been to Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park? Share your experiences!