“should have known, when my key card didn't work” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park

You added Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   12424 Research Blvd., Austin, TX 78759   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #143 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Austin, Texas
“should have known, when my key card didn't work”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I noticed that previous guests have commented on the cricket infestation and filthy carpets and lack of ice machine. I wish I had read this review before booking my stay here, because none of those concerns have been addressed. Furthermore, I would like to add the following comments:
1. I had to replace my key card EVERY day over a 4-day weekend, because the locks/key cards malfunctioned.
2. For some reason, the maid service neglected my room EVERY day over the same 4-day weekend.
3. The T.V./cable gets horrible reception.
4. The stairwells smell horrible.
5. Some of the lamps do not work in the room.
6. The vending machines did not work.
7. The faucet and shower leak.
7. I'm not actually certain that this hotel employs anyone. After checking in, it was nearly impossible to find an employee at the front desk, or by dialing "0" on the room phone.

I booked this stay through priceline.com. That was probably my mistake. I only spent $40/night, but that was too much for this horrible place.

Room Tip: Rooms in any other hotel/motel would be preferable.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this review, September 4, 2012

The housekeeping staff strives to provide clean rooms for all of our guests. They clean each room every 7-days, or in between upon guest request for a minimal daily fee, and after each guest checks out. I apologize if this was not conveyed to you upon check-in, we will work to improve this moving forward.

As well, I am sorry for the rest of the issues you experienced, from the lack of reception for the television and the key card not working appropriately. I will be speaking with the staff about your review, and will use it as an example to learn from to ensure the situations you experienced do not happen again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Well nothing fancy but ok if u going to stay for a night .. the hotel is old n it smell (cigarettes ) but the rooms r ok, nice to have a little kitchenet .. we stay only for one night because it fit the budget so overall its ok except for the smell

• Stayed March 2012
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why we strive so hard to accommodate them with clean, comfortable rooms at an exceptional price. In order to meet the needs of our guests, we designate certain rooms for smokers and the rest for non-smokers. Guests who request non-smoking rooms should always be placed in an available non-smoking room. Clearly there was a regrettable error, of which I have made all of our staff aware, during your stay.

Denton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

ESD NW, well it is what it is. A decent priced 2 star hotel. It is not a 4 or 5 star, doesn't claim to be.

The day I checked into the hotel, I had a problem, the ac in my room failed, Amalia at the front desk told me it could not be fixed until the next day, understandable as it was 9pm. She did let me sleep in another room that night, quite nice, as I did not want to move as I had already unpacked. The following day, when I returned from the project I was building at the Domain, the room ac was replaced, after that I had no problems with the room.

The breakfast is a lot of carbs (muffins or bagels) and fruit, again, it is what it is. The coffee in the morning is decent, actually a bit better than Dunkin down the street. The pool was nice when I got to use it. The housekeeping staff was decent and did the job as promised by the hotel (weekly), and it really is not that hard to clean up after ones self during the week, again, if you want more, pay more.

Most of the things about the hotel that I did not like had to do with other guests. There are trash cans at each stairwell to dispose of your room trash, but lots of folks have to put it outside their door in the hall. There were crickets in Austin this summer, and yes, they did get into the hotel, but they also were in stores, businesses, just about everywhere in Austin, the hotel did have pest control working to help minimize the effect of this. A point for them.

The bed in my room, was not a pillow top, although Extended Stay Deluxe hotels in the chain advertise all beds are pillow tops. Actually my bed was just a tiny bit softer than concrete, I would hope they change that.

Carpet throughout has seen better days, the porter probably needs to get a bit better keeping up with vacuuming, as well as mopping hard surface floors in common areas.

Just about 3 weeks before I finished my project, the hotel upgraded all the televisions to 32" flat screen lcd tv's, it would be nice to have hd broadcasting, and maybe a few more channels also (it is rumored that they are working on this). A plus for them, they are renovating the outside, however it was also a minus for me, as I don't really like leaving a jobsite to go stay in a hotel that is being worked on. However this is a plus as all of the extended stays in Austin are getting these improvements.

A bit of a warning, that should almost be common knowledge to people who stay in hotels. Austin is a large city, and there is crime, some people like to break into cars and trucks and steal what you have worked hard for. Part of life, not really the hotels fault. Do yourself a favour and secure your vehicle and make sure you don't leave valuables laying about in your vehicle. Don't expect someone else to do it for you.

All in all, when I return to Austin for future projects, I know where I will be staying.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of your stay at our hotel. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

Given how hard we work to provide our guests with outstanding accommodations, I was troubled to read your remarks about the bed in your suite. Please know how important your comfort is to us. We have chosen bedding and mattresses that we think best fits our customers' needs, and we continue to look for new ways to satisfy everyone's sleeping preferences. As well, we strive to provide a clean atmosphere for all of our guests. Even though it is sometimes out of our control how other guests dispose of their individual trash, I have spoken to the staff and we are going to work hard on improving our processes so it is not as much of an issue moving forward.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand locations in the future.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I booked this hotel for Friday night because of the location and their advertisement of free breakfast. It turns out they only serve breakfast on weekdays. No breakfast on weekends. I know it's cricket season in Texas but you don't usually have them inside the hotel. There were crickets in the hallway and the carpets were dirty and worn down. The hotel also does not have an ice machine. I've never been to a hotel, motel, or in without an ice machine. Especially in Texas where it gets pretty hot during the summer. We stayed at the Comfort Inn another time and it was a much better experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay Deluxe Austin - Northwest - Research Park. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I have stayed at this Extended Stay America on several occassions over the last four years. On my first visit, four years ago, the hotel was nice and clean (with the exception of an odd moldy smell in the elevators). On this visit I was shocked to see how much the hotel has gone downhill. Although this is a "deluxe" Extended Stay by name, it is nowhere near deluxe in appearance. The rooms are showing extreme signs of degradation. The hallways smell very badly (not the normal food cooking in the microwave smell, but a gross molded, dirty smell), the room I have has carpet that is badly stained, has large spots where the carpet has litterally been melted by something hot, and the room was not clean. Overall, the hotel has that rundown look and feel and is not worth the price difference between it and the Extended Stay America down the road at 183 and 620. We have also stayed at that location too, as we travel between Austin and Florida once per month. I normally enjoy the pool area, but the pool hasn't been cleaned in the three days that I've been here (and there is ALOT of leaves and dirt in the bottom of it). They use to clean the pool area daily, and on this trip I have yet to see anyone cleaning anything around here (and it shows!). I will not return to this location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park, responded to this review, July 20, 2012

Houston, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

This is by far one of the worst hotels I have stayed in. Floor in room was filthy, the room smelled like a mixture of cat pee and cigs, I found water bugs the bed, the curtains were stained, there was no hot water and breakfast was not offered on weekends. They are too pet friendly, seems as if every room had a yip yapping dog! Never, ever, ever again will I stay at an Extended Stay.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay Deluxe Austin - Northwest - Research Park. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Was not expecting much as I booked the reservation from one of those blind booking sites for a really cheap rate. However, it was fairly new and in good shape. The hotel is also dog friendly, which was important to me since the trip was last minute and couldn't secure anyone to watch my dog for me. I would be willing to stay here again for the same price. Didn't do the breakfast, so can't speak about that.
Cons: beds were pretty soft

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Extended Stay America - Austin - Northwest - Research Park? Share your experiences!