“A Luxurious and peaceful home in a great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gateway Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Austin
Gateway Guesthouse
1001 E Riverside Dr, Austin, TX 78704 (South Austin)   |
Offers & Announcements
Chef-created Breakfast!
Ranked #3 of 39 Austin B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“A Luxurious and peaceful home in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Not much to add to the other reviews -it was as promised! My husband and i stayed for 5 nights while he attended a conference downtown. We especially liked the new covered porch and highly recommend having dinner by Bess.

• Stayed October 2012
GatewayGuesthouse, Owner at Gateway Guesthouse, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
The weekend you were here was super fun. Bess so enjoys it when guests are super pleased with the food. We look forward to welcoming you again!
Blaise & Bess

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I am late to write this review, but couldn't neglect to give Bess and Blaise our compliments...what a great stay my mother and I had!

We flew down from Massachusetts at the end of September to visit my brother who relocated to Austin in July. We arrived late on Friday, and had no trouble getting into the house and finding our way to our room thanks to the instructions emailed to us with our room confirmation.

We stayed in the Master Retreat, and it was very well appointed. The bed was extremely comfy, the bathroom was large and private and the balcony was a nice addition (although we wish we had more time to enjoy it!). Breakfasts were, as everybody has mentioned, absolutely delicious! We were lucky enough to have Bess' famous flappers one morning, and a potato encrusted egg dish the next. After hearing our rave reviews of our first breakfast, my brother joined us for breakfast the next day, and he was happy he did!!

While the accommodations and food were outstanding, the innkeepers, Bess and Blaise, are the reason we will return. They made us extremely comfortable from the moment they introduced themselves; fulfilling any requests we had and helping us decide on a place for dinner (If you have the opportunity, check out El Alma! Their food was amazing!!).

We were fortunate enough to have found Gateway Guesthouse after hours of research, and we are so glad we did. They made our stay in Austin a great one. We look forward to our return!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GatewayGuesthouse, Owner at Gateway Guesthouse, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
We truly enjoyed having you two ladies stay with us and are glad you enjoyed your space and the breakfasts. You know what we say "If you are going to have a bed and breakfast, you'd better do at least two things really well!". Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon.
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Had a girl's weekend at the Gateway House and participated in the shop/cook/dine experience. Everything was wonderful from the moment we arrived. Blaise and Bess greeted us at the door (along with their well behaved dogs) with smiles. The location is easy to get to and easy to get around town. The accommodations are extremely comfortable. The breakfasts were to die for! I highly recommend the" shop,cook, and dine" option. I learned so much from Bess and Blaise and had so much fun in a real chef's kitchen. I can not wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2012
You ladies where just a joy! Every moment. The class was super fun because of such a great group, we enjoyed laughing with you and we hope you'll return super soon!
Clinton Township, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I came for our 17th anniversary. Our room was super clean with a private bathroom, cozy robes and beach towels. The zen-like pool was relaxing, coffee was available on the patio every morning. The breakfasts are gourmet and the food is plentiful. Very clean and well-maintained. Bess and Blaise were very friendly and recommended great food and places to visit in Austin. I would love to come back and take part in the cooking classes Bess offers.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GatewayGuesthouse, Owner at Gateway Guesthouse, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
We were so glad you were able to join us for your anniversary. We hope you'll be back soon and wish you all the best!
Reno, NV, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Gateway Guesthouse is an excellent B&B. Warm and knowledgable hostesses, nice dogs and a cat onsite, great breakfast, lovely rooms and grounds. Definitely recommend staying here if you like B&Bs. Blaise and Bess also can recommend great food around Austin.

• Stayed October 2012
GatewayGuesthouse, Owner at Gateway Guesthouse, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
It was lovely to have you stay with us. We hope to see you again soon.
All the best!
Frederick, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Found this little B&B by chance via an internet search. Took a chance and spent a week there during a getaway with my husband to celebrate our 15 year anniversary sans children. Stayed in the outbuilding with the loft and we enjoyed every minute. Coffee on the outdoor table when we woke; great food awaiting for breakfast (homemade bagels! really!). Accommodated special orders (love my soy milk). Helped us find good food (got us reservations at Uchi last minute!). And loved a night cap poolside each night in a my fluffy robe provided for us.
Highly recommend. They got the details right (great products for us in the room, friendly but gave us space, etc.). And, they even sent me off with their copy of Dwell magazine before they got a shot to look at it. Talk about putting the customer first. Top ratings. Good folks. Highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I do not give up the 'small space' issue of Dwell to just anyone! We loved having you stay with us and hope we will see you again soon.
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We just returned from a 3 night stay @ The Gateway Guesthouse. It was wonderful. We stayed in the Loft. Bess & Blaise were so accomodating. There are 2 (hypoallergenic) dogs & a cat on the property. My husband is allergic to both cats & dogs. Blaise assured us that they kept the animals out of the rooms that are not part of the main house (Loft, Carriage House & one other..). And she also kindly offered to bring coffee & breakfast to our room every morning to avoid the pets. It was lovely. And I can also attest to the fact that the pets do not have access to those rooms. My husabnd is very allergic, & I know his allergies would have been set off right away. But, nope! No problems with pet allergies what so ever! :)

Breakfast was amazing. The room was impeccably kept. The grounds were very nice & relaxing (although rainy weather kept us from enjoying them). And the mattress was to DIE for. Incredible!!

The location was great, too! Everything in Austin (SoCo, Downtown & 6th street, Capitol, Town Lake, UT, etc) was a short drive/bike ride away. Interstate 35 was only a few blocks, too. So if you wanted to do a day trip that was simple to navigate, also!

The only slight issue we had was with the stairs in The Loft. The actual steps weren't very deep. My husband & I (late 30s & 40 yrs) stumbled more than once coming down (never going up for some reason). They are a little hard to navigate, with my foot slipping off when decending. I found I had to turn my foot to the side to get down easily. I dont say this to be picky, but it did worry me a little. A fall down those stairs might ruin someone's vacation. :(

I would DEFINITELY saty here again & would not hesitate to recommend Gateway Guesthouse to anyone! :) We had a wonderful trip & GG was a big part of that!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We enjoyed having you stay with us. We always try to warn folks about the steps and will do that even more strongly based on your review. Thank you for the feedback. We hope we'll see you again soon.

Been to Gateway Guesthouse? Share your experiences!