“Great time at the Gateway!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Chef-created Breakfast!
Ranked #2 of 40 Austin B&B and Inns
Newton, Massachusetts
“Great time at the Gateway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

My partner and I visited the Gateway at the end of April and stayed in the Studio room. That is in a separate space on the other side of the pool from the main house. Despite the fact that the Gateway is on a main street, the room was surprisingly quiet. The room itself was very well equipped and decorated nicely in black and white with king bed, mini fridge and bathroom with large shower. It had its own AC unit and overhead fan which we needed. The grounds are lovely with resident dogs and cat and a small but refreshing pool and great hot tub. We enjoyed spending the day exploring the city and then coming home to a swim and rewind before heading out for dinner. The house has a great location, walking distance to South Congress which has some good restaurants and fun shops as well as near some local spots that Blaise and Bess told us about. We enjoyed the ample breakfasts and fine hospitality at the Gateway. Opposite the house is a bus stop that will take you all around Austin if you don't have a car (which we did not). Would definitely recommend the Gateway for a fun and relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Studio which was very quiet and self contained.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
GatewayGuesthouse, Owner at Gateway Guesthouse, responded to this review, October 26, 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I stayed at the Gateway Guesthouse for a week, and although I was traveling solo, I never felt like I was alone in a strange city. Blaise and Bess went out of their way to give me recommendations for interesting things to do and great places to eat. The location is super-convenient, whether you're headed downtown (which you can access via a short bus ride or even on foot) or out to Hill Country. And the breakfasts are, hands down, the best I've had at any inn or B&B, in this country or overseas!

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
We miss you darlin'!! Thank you so much for your wonderful review. Apologies for the delay in responding - I just figured out how. Technology confounds me. We hope to see you again soon! B&B
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I live in Austin and booked a stay at Gateway for my mother and her friend. They were so impressed with my "obvious" knowledge of the best and classiest places to stay in Austin! ;)
The owner / innkeeper / chef team, Bess and Blaise, were so easy going and accommodating. The Inn itself is absolutely beautiful - very tastefully designed with a touch of class and yet easy, comfortable feel to it. Photos don't do it justice. My mother and friend felt so welcome and at home - as did my boyfriend and I when we visited and came for breakfast.

Bess is a natural as a chef, making everything from scratch (even down to the sausage and breads). She has a true gift when it comes to blending flavors. The price was reasonable given the amazing service and facilities -- worth every penny. We could have spent more on the local holiday inn!!

Location is great too - close to everything. My only complaint is that I don't get to stay there since I live down the street (and always travel with my dog, not sure if pets are allowed)! I'll be booking with them again when I have out of town guests.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
We think you should plan a stay-cation! Thank you so much for your wonderful review. Apologies for the delay in responding - I just figured out how. Technology confounds me. We hope to see you again soon! B&B
Torono
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

We were extremely pleased with our choice of accommodations for SXSW. Bess and Blaise were extremely helpful and informative. The hot tub and pool are gorgeous and definitely worth making use of.

Breakfasts each morning were AMAZING. The innkeepers are very accommodating, but be sure to let them know if you need breakfast earlier/later as i'm sure it takes a lot of work to prepare.

If you're heading downtown the Bus stop is out front and takes you downtown in minutes...day passes are only $2!

Room Tip: The top-floor of the carriage house is a great, secluded option, but if you plan to sleep 3 know tha...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Monica, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

At the risk of making it harder to make a reservation, the craftsman-styled Gateway Guesthouse might be the best kept B & B secret in Austin. Blaise and Bess made me feel right at home. I stayed in the Loft and loved its privacy. Breakfast was simply scrumptious. Don't forget to ask the girls to serve up their homemade scones!

Room Tip: Of course if you want more privacy, the guest house rooms in the back are great. I stayed in the Lof...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

from the ease of reservations per phone, to ordering a cheese/fruit plate with wine upon arrival, to being informed of early checkin before I had boarded departing flight it was a great start and only got better. Stayed here 3 pm's with 24 y/o daughter to scope out possible move for her to Austin. Quiet room with a bed you do not want to leave- all the modern tech things for daughter- like IPOD speakers- breakfast included large portions- best coffee ever-fresh squeezed OJ- homemade everything- friendly and helpful were Bess and Blaise but never annoying- precious well trained dogs- free parking- location where you can walk to everything- perfect functioning AC- which you need in Austin- great pool and hot tub- wouldn't stay anywhere else when returning. Great help above and beyond with contacts for daughter to relocate. Will definitely stay "in" and request dinner there next trip to Austin!

Room Tip: the studio or the master (inside) if traveling with one person-
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Stamford, Ct.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I am an avid traveler and have stayed in many a hotel and B&B during those travels, but NOTHING I've stayed in compares to the Gateway Guesthouse. The accommodations are very contemporary, but warm at the same time. The beds are pure ecstacy. The amenities include a beautiful pool and hot tub area that would rival the finest hotels. Leo and Louie (the dogs) are always around for you to play with, but also know how to give your own peaceful alone time if that is what you desire. These dogs are so, so, well trained and respectful of their roles in the B&B..and a true delight for animal lovers. Their cat is one of the friendliest and well behaved I've ever met (and I have several of my own). But -- the true heart of this B&B are the inkeepers Bess and Blaze. These ladies are simply not happy until they are convinced that your time at their establishment is the best possible. They are enchanting with their friendliness, openness and sincere desire to make their inn as hospitable as possible. Individual requests and accommodations for any of your preferences, needs, wants, not wants -- just say the word. And I saved the best for last. Bess is a gourmet Chef capable of making any type of food you desire. Don't be afraid to make a special request. Bess can do anything, better than any others I have ever come across. And I HIGHLY recommend their "dinner at home" option where Bess will cook the most delicious meal to your specification. There is no better place to eat in Austin than at the Gateway dining room. When we are back, we will have all of our meals there. And at $40 / head for 5 courses -- you'd be insane to go anywhere else. Makes sure you ask for the Apple, Walnut and Brie Flappers (Bess' version of a pancake -- but not a pancake) for breakfast one day -- you won't be sorry. While Austin is a fine city -- this B&B is reason enough on it's own to take a trip there. It certainly was the highlight of mine!!! Thank you sooo much Bess and Blaze for delivering everything I had hoped for and then much more!

Room Tip: There wer four of us and we stayed in The Loft and the Master -- both wonderful in different ways...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Gateway Guesthouse? Share your experiences!