“Spicing is too heavy handed!” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican, Bistro
New Canaan, Connecticut
“Spicing is too heavy handed!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Nice outdoor seating. The interior seemed a bit dark. Menu selection is rather broad, but on the pricey side. Wait staff is attentive but not over-bearing. Quality of food & presentation left nothing to be desired, but the chef should ease off on the seasoning. Yes, this is a Mexican restaurant; but it would have been nice to actually taste the food, instead of just the spices.

Visited April 2012

Austin, Texas
“comfortable elegance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

This restauant was a surprise! Close to downtown. An oasis in a commercial setting everything was condusive to a delightful meal. The service from Dawn was personable and efficient. The food was delicious! From exceptional chips and salsa to the main course everything exceeded expectations. The presentation was lovely as were the surroundings. I had sopes, an egg dish; plentiful and delicious. Ruta Maya coffee was perfect. Music was energized but subdued and allowed for conversation. No TV!!! I'll be back. Plenty of parking behind the restaurant.

• Visited April 2012
Austin, TX
“Delicious and different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Zandunga takes Mexican and other Latin favorites to the next level. This is our go to Mexican restaurant when we want quality. The dishes are pricey but the service and food are excellent. Docking Zandunga 1 star for the pricing...sorry.

• Visited September 2011
San Francisco
“Service left me wanted to run, not walk away”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

So wanted to like this place. Went for brunch and as soon as we walked in the door, it just didn't feel right. We stood by the front door for an uncomfortable amount of time waiting to be seated. The place was NOT crowded at all. Finally someone wandered over and pointed to the table right by door -- lots of other available. We seated ourselves, but OOOOPS they only had one menu available. So we passed the one menu around. After a wait of abnormal length, to die for chips and oh so HOT (for our palates) salsa arrived, but alas no one to take the order. Finally our order was taken. One app and 3 main courses. We then waited over 40 minutes in an uncrowded setting for the app to arrive. The table behind us who ordered simultaneously with us had paid their bill and left before the app arrived!! Two minutes after the app arrived, outcome our main courses. I had huevos rancheros -- I love the stuff--this was floating in what looked like "salsa juice". everything was soggy, and frankly BORING. What was DELISH was the app Queso Fundido. That ended up being my meal. I belong to the clean plate club, but the Huevos Rancheros stayed on the plate. Can give more than two stars after brunch at Olilvia left me wanting oh so much more. The service here just missed the mark completely and food was so just ok that we'll leave this place to those that had a better experience.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“We're Already Planning Our Next Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I'm an Austin resident, and I KNOW where the good food is in this town. My household has just added Zandunga to our list. We dined there on a Friday night and couldn't believe there were tables available. I suspect that won't be the case for long. I had a wonderful pinot noir for only $6, and my partner had a basil-infused margarita which he really liked. Neither of us are frozen margarita fans, but the bartender visited our table and offered us a sample of their award-winning frozen guava margaritas so we indulged her. I'm a fan now. For our meal, I ordered an arugula/dried apricot/chicharrones salad with the queso fundido on the side. Both were amazing! Since my choices were on the appetizer section of the menu, they were cheaper than the entrees but every bit as filling and satisfying. So, with my wine, my "side" of the bill was $20. My partner ordered the relleno aguacate, and it was delightfully tasty and DIFFERENT. The chef at Zandunga really knows his way around a Mexican kitchen. The chips and salsa there are standouts as well. Don't pass it up.

• Visited September 2011