“Wonderful food and fabulous atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of fabi and rosi european kitchen

fabi and rosi european kitchen
509 Hearn St, Austin, TX 78703-4515
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Austin, Texas
“Wonderful food and fabulous atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

A group of friends celebrated a birthday and booked a table in the back room. I had not been to this location since it was the previous restaurant Zoot. The renovations were well appointed in a black in white, elegant theme. However, the restaurant did not feel pretentious. It was a comfortable atmosphere. And, while we dressed up because we were celebrating a birthday, there were many patrons dressed in business casual or even blue jeans and baseball caps. It felt Austin chic. There is seating outside under the trees that would make for a lovely al fresco dining experience.

The service was wonderful. The servers answered numerous questions and were prompt in serving the table. They leave a bottle of water on the table so that you can refill your glass as needed, but they also came by to refill our glasses.

We ordered the escargot in garlic herb butter and broiled breadcrumbs. It was cooked to perfection. (We used the bread to sop up all the garlic herb butter.) The Metzger board with chicken liver pate, wagyu tartare and country terrine was also well done. Two of the individuals in our party had not had these delicacies, but were highly impressed with their flavor. It was a good introduction to these foods for a novice.

I ordered the schnitzel and spatzle with cream mushrooms. It was the best I had eaten in Texas. Another ordered the Dewberry Hills chicken with quinoa and braised greens. Again, it was exceptional. For dessert, we ordered crack pie with hooch cream and chocolate mousse. They were the perfect ending to a wonderful meal.

This is a hidden Austin gem. Great service and food in a lovely atmosphere at a very reasonable price.

• Visited April 2013

Richardson, Texas
“Nicely done”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Some friends took us here as we're from out of town. It's a converted older house so very quaint and nicely decorated in a contemporary style. The overall feel was that it's a great "date" spot or for folks with a more discriminating palate and desire to eat in a more "elegant" style but without any pretentiousness. Our waitress was very pleasant and fully knowledgeable about the food and the wine. I don't know if she was an owner but it sure seemed so. All the food was great and nicely proportioned so that you don't feel bloated when you're done. We shared the pâté board which was delicious. I had the arugula salad and the hake (fish) entree, all very well presented.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Pretentious”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Got there at 6pm, early. They do not take reservations after 6:30pm, it is "first come, first served". Went in, plenty of empty tables, but they tell us a 1.5 hour wait!! Food did not look like it was worth a one and a half hour wait, so we left and went elsewhere for dinner. Parking is on street, IF you can find it. Maybe the food is good, IF you can get in.

• Visited February 2013
Austin, Texas
“Comfortable atmosphere and excellent food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I overlook writing hometown restaurant reviews, but this is really a low-key, comfortable atmosphere with amazing food. I've been happy outside for happy hour and nice sunsets as well as inside for a full dinner.

The menu is seasonal, but of the menu for December, I've 3 of the 5 shares, 3 of the 4 appetizers, 3 of the mains, and 1 of the 3 desserts. They were all amazing. I especiallu enjoyed the bone marrow soup; also the celery root soup. The escargot, metzger board, and ich liebe tiere were all phenomenal. Every dish had depth in flavor. The chocolate mouse has a french curry in it that gives it wonderful accent.

On top of the meal and the comfort of a revamped older house, the service has always been exceptionally friendly - and I could just hug the chef and his wife. They are so very approachable, down to earth people. I love to end my weeks here and highly recommend people make the trip to just west of downtown for a truly memorable experience.

• Visited December 2012
“Amazing place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My BF took me to Fabi and Rosi for my birthday. We had a pre-arranged 5 course dinner, and I must say it was simply amazing.
We started with a garden salad, and had scallops, lamb, corn soup and assortment dessert too. Everything tasted exquisitely and was very well made. The atmosphere is very special too, and Wolfgang came out to talk to us about our dishes.
Our waitress (don't remember her name..) was great. She was there for us when we needed her, but she was not intrusive at all.
I didn't like one of the wines (we had all courses paired with wines), but it has nothing to do with the restaurant, but rather my dislike of rose wines in general.
I would highly recommend this place to anyone, and I am already looking forward to going back there.

• Visited October 2012