“Perfect getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 187 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Perfect getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife and I met two other couples here to enjoy the serenity and each other's company. We were active with the spa, yoga, hiking trails, and horses. But especially liked the food and great wine. The tequila tasting experience started a great night. The people and service couldn't have been better. We will go back. My wife is already planning a girls trip.

Room Tip: We liked staying down close to the pool and spa, which is also close to the restaurant.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
jeff m,
Thank you so much for your kind words about Travaasa. We are happy that you and your friends enjoyed your stay and are planning on coming back. Make sure your wife lets me know about her girl's group and we'll do something special to welcome them.
Best,
Kristine Huffman, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

One scruffy guy provided about 5 minutes of instructions before he passed out simple bows and arrows and had us shoot at some paper targets that already had holes in them from the previous guests. Some of the arrows didn’t even have all 3 feathers, and no triggers to release the string. Price tag, $53.10 for one person. How about breakfast tacos wrapped in foil, or your choice of steel cut oat meal or some fresh fruit, and choice of coffee or juice for two people. Price tag: $129.90. But I had to admire their chutzpah, because on the bottom of these bills, and after adding a 22% service charge, they had a line where we could add an additional gratuity. And the food was nothing special. The BBQ lamb we were served was as dry as sandpaper. I found the pricing to be so outrageous that I couldn’t enjoy what was supposed to be a relaxing weekend with my wife. For me, the best part was driving off the property knowing I would never return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Maurice M,
I am so sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay. It sounds like there was some issues and since you came as a part of a group that had negotiated rates for a meeting package that included meeting rooms, meals and activities, I am contacting your group leader to see how we can clear up any confusion about what you expected for pricing and try to make it up to you. Or, please feel free to contact me directly at kristine.huffman@travaasa.com and we can discuss how best to satisfy you.
All the best,
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Everything was very nice: the property, the spa, the restaurant, the grounds, and the rooms. We requested a quiet room and were in building 7 on the top floor which had a beautiful view. It wasn't very quiet though. The outdoor stairs are made of metal and the stone floors in the entry way of each room echoed throughout the building. We took 3 classes: foam roller, swing dance, and the group hike. Travaasa attempts to keep you entertained by offering classes, but they aren't very exciting and there isn't much to do around the hotel as the property is very remote. Overall, it was a good experience, but I wouldn't go again.

TravelingSince1980,
Thanks for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you found our property to be nice, but it sounds like our activities didn't appeal to you. I'd love to hear what you'd like to see added to our program that would entice you to come back, so If you get a moment, you can email me at kristine.huffman@travaaasa.com to let me know.
Warm regards,
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Every once in a while you come across a hotel where it is obvious that they really know what they are doing. All too often a beautiful location is not matched by good service but here it is hard to tell which is better. Good locations are hard to find but quality service is something that comes from dedication, attention to detail and the ability to attract, train and retain excellent staff. My only regret is that I was unable to take advantage of the amazing facility as I was running a conference.

Beyond the excellent food, the service (have I already mentioned this) was truly exceptional, a unique balance of discretion and privacy with efficient anticipation of every need, congratulations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ISO8000,
Wow! Thanks so much for the high praise. All of the Travaasa Team is thrilled to hear that you loved your stay and only regret that you couldn't enjoy more of the facility since you were so busy with your conference. We hope that you can come back as a leisure guest so that you can kick back and relax.
All the best,
Houston, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Pleasant stay... Just not fabulous.

For the price, I can’t rate Travaasa more than 3 stars. The grounds are fantastic; the grounds crew has done a great job keeping everything well-manicured. You can’t beat the view at Travaasa. Built into the hill side overlooking a valley of Lake Travis, it’s simply a beautiful location for a resort. Our room was on the second floor of the west most building and was on the west side of the building. It was perfect for sleeping in and not waking up with sun in your eyes. I DO recommend asking for a room on the 3rd (highest) floor. Our balcony looked straight into the trees. I imagine a higher floor might have a better view.

Other positive notes from Travaasa; great service from the entire staff. From housekeeping to the restaurant waiters, to the front desk, everyone was super polite and attentive.

Now for the negatives;

There are no bathtubs in any room on the property. A huge negative for us, because on a trip like this, we want to soak and relax.

No room service. I knew this going into the resort and didn’t think it would be an issue for me…. Until the first morning I wanted a fresh pot of coffee and breakfast in bed.

The quality of the rooms was nothing more than average. Nothing about the room knocked my socks off. It was simple décor and the room felt like an average Hilton, Marriott, or Hyatt.

Food quality was average. For dinner one night I had the wild boar Bolognese. It tasted just like a jar of Chef Boyardee. Again, nothing that knocked my socks off. It wasn’t bad, but it sounded a lot more exotic than it tasted.

Even though the water temperature at the pool was too cold to swim, we still lounged and took a dip in the hot tub. The pool side bar was closed during our entire visit. This made getting drinks and snacks awfully inconvenient.

Overall, our stay was pleasant…. Just not fabulous. I’d give a higher rating if the cost was less. Don’t take this as a negative review. You’d be hard pressed to have a BAD time at Travaasa.

Room Tip: Get the 3rd floor so you're veiw is higher than the surrounding tree tops. Choose building 8 and...
Jeffmikers,
Thanks for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed our team here at Travaasa. I am sorry that you didn't feel that your stay was fabulous, but we do hope that you return again so that we can try to wow you.
venice, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

The food, service, and spa treatments were fabulous! Both my husband and I loved every meal ... the food is clean, flavorful, and interesting. I had a massage from Velvet and a facial from Cat, and they were both amazing (and I'm a seasoned spa goer :)

The only things I would have liked would be having a bathtub in the room, the pool could have been warmer, and perhaps the Spa locker room could be updated. But overall, the property is lovely and well-cared for.

Travaasa is a special resort in a beautiful location. While it's not a supremely fancy, it makes up for it with a warm staff who seem delighted to be there.

Room Tip: Get on the second or third floors.
lizvenice,
Thanks so much for your great review of Travaasa. Weare thrilled that a seasoned spa-goer had such a great expereince and you'll be happy to hear that we are going to be renovating our spa early next year. I will pass along your praise to the folks you mentioned and look forward to having you back again soon,
Best wishes,
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I went to spent our anniversary weekend at Travaasa. We live in Austin so this was a quick getaway. My wife loves yoga and all things sustainable/eco-friendly, me not so much. She was obviously in heaven at Travaasa, but I was surprised by how much I liked it. Great food, excellent service, and plenty of activities for people like me. The food was generally healthy, but had plenty of options for being gluttonous. The beds were super comfortable and the property is beautiful. We will be back same time next year.

Adam_in_Austin,
We are so glad that we surprised you in such a great way and that both you and your wife enjoyed our property for your anniversary. We do hope to have you back again next year to help you celebrate again,
Best wishes,
Kristine Huffman, General Manager

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!