“Nice but expensive” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #5 of 182 hotels in Austin
“Nice but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

A group of 4 of us went to Travaasa and had a great time. The service by all of the staff is great - everyone is so friendly. The activities that are included with the room rate were fun. This place is good for people that like to be active. There are a lot of working out type activities like yoga, zumba, heart starter hike, tone and sculpt, kettle bell class, etc. The paid activities where you have to pay an extra fee are pretty pricey with most being ~$75 per person. One person in our group did the Hands On Cooking Summer BBQ class for $75, thinking he would be learning how to marinate and grill meats (learning timing, etc) to be able to come home and replicate..he was thoroughly disappointed. They made a watermelon gazpacho and grilled some premarinated mushrooms and shrimp and has premade icecream for dessert and they were given sheets with recipes and that was it. We wish the description would have been clearer or the menu was stated, so that we would not have wasted money on that.
As of now, there are no evening activities. The last one ends around 5 or 6pm. Some of the activities require you to sign up ahead of time and there are limited spots in those classes. Although we didn't have any problems signing up for classes we wanted, I could see if being a problem if you have a big group.
The spa was very nice and we had great massages. There is free water available throughout - at the front desk, at the spa, at some of the activities.
We had dinner at the restaurant and enjoyed it. The only thing we did not like was the pound cake dessert which was so dry, it was almost like toast. The restaurant is only open during certain times, so keep that in mind.
Overall, we enjoyed it a lot - just an expensive weekend in Austin :)

Room Tip: The rooms have 2 Queen beds, there were none with King beds
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
spinnerex,
Great to hear that you had a good time here at Travaasa Austin. It sounds like you did a lot of our activities, but missed having something to do at night. You'll be happy to hear that we've added a variety of things to do in the evening so that next time you visit, you'll have plenty to do after dinner. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with others,

405 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

PROS---
absolutely the best food i have ever had at any resort. i love that with the "total travaasa" package you get $125 (per-night stayed) credit or spa or extracurricular activities. my wife and i stayed a total of four nights and never ran out of things to do. we had 5 massages, pedicure, facials, etc... and didn't have to pay any extra. there were plenty of activities to choose from without ever getting bored. the staff were amazing and clearly loved their jobs.

did i mention that the food was absolutely amazing!!!

CONS---
alcohol was not part of the total travaasa package, but i guess if you dont drink then your not missing out on anything...and if you do you get great drinks for what you pay for. my only recommendation is that they somehow include the golf resort down the road into possibly being part of the stay.

i just want to make sure that i mention the food was FANTASTIC!!!

Room Tip: stay on the highest floor possible for the best views possible
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ryan s,
I am so glad that you enjoyed our food so very much. It sounds like you had a great time doing all the activities here and understand that you would've liked to golf as well. I regret that you were not informed that you could use your spa credit for the golf course next door. I've put a note in your file that the round's on me during your next visit - which I hope is very soon,
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This was a birthday gift from my husband. I have to say it felt like he took me far far away from home. We live 45 min's away from the hotel. I would do it again. You can do as much or as little as you want. The breakfast and dinning experience is so nice. The views are gorgeous. The spa was experience was awesome. I am willing to go back just for that. The view from the room is so nice and relaxing, and beds are not the heavenly bed from the Westin, but I think very close. I was not ready to leave.

Tmhodge,
Thanks so much for your wonderful review of your staycation. We have many guests from Austin comment that they feel like they are far, far away, even though the trip here is short. So glad you enjoyed our spa and views and do hope that you come back to celebrate another special occasion soon.
Best,
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I traveled to Travaasa for a (self-titled) "wellness retreat". I was looking for fitness, healthy meals and some peaceful time for reflection. It met every one of my expectations and then some!
I found the staff to be exceptional - always seeming to go above and beyond to make my experience a positive one. You could tell they love to work there.
The food was excellent and so creative that I found myself trying things I normally would not.

I am a social person by nature and I can't imagine being anywhere else by myself for 5 days and never feeling awkward. I met many nice and interesting people.
I enjoyed every minute of my stay and hated to leave!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor - which in essence is actually ground level.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Ashley6966,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are so glad that you enjoyed the serenity of Travaasa, and that our team helped you enjoy your stay. I also find that our guests are fascinating and that I meet very interesting people as I walk around the resort.
I do hope you return to us next time you need a retreat,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This place truly is like a summer camp for adults. The views are great and the rooms are comfortable. They offer a wide variety of activities from 8am to about 5pm. Some activities require prior sign up, and they post the sign up sheets the day before. Be sure to sign up for any activities you know you want to d, as they fill up fast. I only wish they staggered the activity times more, because on our two day stay, we found on multiple occasion that we could not attend an acitivity because it was at the same time as another activity we were doing. Also, I wish they had some evening activities offered as well. The pool and spa are great and my deep tissue massage was one of the best I've ever had. We had found a deal online and received somewhat of a discount, but I do not think I would go back if I were paying full price. However, if you do happen to find a deal, check it out, it makes a great weekend getaway!

Dear travelbirds0809,
So glad you joined us for a great weekend getaway. Thanks for your review and suggestion for more evening activities. We are adding some great stuff to our schedule, so keep checking out the newsletters to see what's coming up with both activities and special offers,
All the best to you,
Kristine Huffman, General Manger
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I went to Travaasa Austin for our 10th anniversary. The resort was wonderful, staff absolutely superb. They made us feel special at every turn. The resort is young and still has a few hiccups, but we barely noticed because of how great the staff treated us. The fitness and adventure classes are definitely worth it: we participated in kettle bells, challenge course, rock climbing, zip lining, hiking, yoga. . . everything we did was great. The grounds of the resort are absolutely gorgeous. Hummingbirds were out, smelled of ceder from all the trees, gorgeous views. Perfect for romance.

Only downside, for full disclosure, was that the spa services were good, but not great. For the cost, I expected spa services that would knock our socks off. My wife's massage was not good. Her nail service was good, not spectacular. I had a very good Thai massage (thanks, James), but, again, for the price. . .

Joshua S,
Thanks so much for your review, and we're honored that you stayed with us to celebrate your 10th. I am glad that you enjoyed so many of our activities together and experienced the romance of the Texas Hill Country. We hope that you join us again for many more special events,
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I travelled to Travaasa with a friend on the Memorial Day weekend this year. We were sooooo excited in the lead up eager to try all of the activities etc. I did all of the planning and the place looked amazing.

Unfortunately it was raining for much of our stay. The resort was also full. Many of the activities were cancelled and the ones that were on were booked out every time we tried to sign up. The food was good but the staff were hit and miss in the restaurant - but then we realized they seemed to be working ridiculous hours and were probably bone tired.

In terms of positives - the spa was top notch, every treatment (we went daily) was sensational. The location is beautiful, our room was lovely. The pool area was great, just wish it wasn't raining but can't blame the staff for that! We met some lovely people as well so that was a bonus.

The worst part for me was feeling responsible for my traveling friend after having done the organizing as there was so many disappointing moments.

Overall, the resort is beautiful and has great potential but for the 5 star price paid, it lacks 5 star service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear TheSecret,
Thanks for your candid review. Your feedback is helpful in working to improve our guest service. I am sorry that it rained while you were here. I know that is disappointing when you anticipate doing a lot of outdoor activities, and it is hard to make less active indoor classes as exhilarating. It doesn't rain often here in Austin, so do hope you return to us in the future.
Kristine Huffman, General Manager

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!