“Best of Relaxing & Adventures” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 191 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Best of Relaxing & Adventures”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We checked in for a long weekend as a girls getaway and the staff was amazing! The rooms were extremely nice and comfortable!

The food was incredible, healthy, and changed every day! I am Gluten and Dairy free and the staff didn't flinch- they were so accommodating! I showed up for breakfast and the new server knew that I needed almond milk for my coffee from our server last night. That was impressive!

We took full advantage of the classes and they were fun. So many great adventures were available without an additional fee. Wall climbing and the challenge course with the zip line were my favorite. I do wish they offered this more because we signed up early to get in and some of our friends that came later didn't get to participate b/c it was only offered twice a day with very limited spots. (Note: sign up for your classes early- I believe you can sign up for some things before you even check in)

The Spa credits were more than enough to cover the things we wanted and they were great. (I didn't use 100% of the credits and didn't feel like I missed out) I loved that they were purely relaxing and the staff showed you what they used but no pressure to purchase.

My ONLY complaint is that they are a little short staffed. (Maybe b/c it wasn't to full capacity, but they could use some help by the pool for drinks.) Drink service was slow - I mean VERY slow- but couldn't complain b/c the view was great and we just continued to relax.

I would also skip the wine tasting. Wines were okay, and only a taste of 4. (And just a taste, no refills on the ones you liked) They do not have a sommelier. It was just a server with little knowledge outside the script of the wines he provided.

The staff was all very polite and I would highly recommend Travaasa for a couples retreat, girl friend weekend, or a small staff building retreat.

Room Tip: Go for the view. It is a little extra, but our view was over the tree line and gorgeous! If you do...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
TarynK,
We are honored that you joined us for your girls getaway and are happy that you all had a great time. I am glad you enjoyed so many of our classes, but am disappointed that you were disappointed in the wine tasting class. We have an amazing Sommelier who just happened to be on vacation the weekend you were here, and I guess his replacement needs some more education before we use him to fill in again. I see you're from Chicago, but if you're ever in Austin again, please come out and join a class on us.
All the best to you,
Kristine Huffman, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Travaasa venue was fantastic for a corporate group of 45 people! The grounds created wonderful spaces for informal discussions and working groups, and the accommodations were fantastic. We hosted our meeting in the Lone Star room, which boasts lots of natural light, high ceilings, a great AV system, and a set-up for breaks & meals that helped our meeting flow flawlessly. The food was fresh and delicious -- our participants were very pleased with all of the meals.

The staff at Travaasa is perhaps the best part of the venue. Everyone is very friendly, helpful, and accessible when you need them. As the logistics lead for our meeting, the staff made my job easy with their quick responses to requests & friendly service.

Travaasa is definitely on our list for future meetings if we're back in the Austin area!

Room Tip: The views from the top floor can't be beat!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
EmilyLoose,
Thanks so much for your high praise. We aim to provide an easy, fun and flawless experience for our group leaders so that you can relax and enjoy the retreat without worrying about the logistics. I am so glad to hear that you'll be back for another meeting if you're back in the area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My Travaasa experience was the most amazing ever! They literally thought of everything! The cabins- perfect, the grounds- lovely, the food- to die for!!! Fresh garden vegetables! Gluten free selections!!! Every person that works there treated me with care. I never "wanted" for a single thing. All the massages / spa treatments were professionally done with care and detail. Very special! I highly recommend the Thai Massage! Yoga was open air and was just so serene and lovely. This is such a wonderful amazing place, the staff TOP NOTCH! I am seriously considering trying the Hawaii location as well! The trip was worth every cent!

• Stayed May 2013
Cskemp,
Thanks so much for your wonderful review of Travaasa. We are very pleased that you enjoyed yourself and that you were delighted with all of our services, classes, accommodations and food. But, what makes me personally happy, is hearing about how much you enjoyed the team. We get a lot of pleasure by providing great service and are really glad when someone has such a great time. I do hope you decide to try out our Hana property as you will find the same aloha spirit there. That being said, I hope that you return to us in Austin again soon,
South Florida, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Management and staff at Travaasa Austin understand and execute the subtlest but most important details necessary to make brief visits into meaningful experiences.

Our three day stay was magic.

The Equine Experience is intriguing, even if you have never been close to a horse in your life.

Spa services are extensive and should please even these most jaded spa fanatics.

Chef Baker and his accomplished kitchen staff produce a variety of pleasing dishes - almost perfect farm to table cuisine (give another year to their on property organic garden and the selection will be almost endless).

Sommelier Edward Morgan continues to curate and extensive collection of boutique wines and craft beers - which should tempt and please most visitors.

The morning trail ride was pleasant and entertaining thanks to a 'wranger' using his iPhone to send photos back to our email account - the trail is still being extended and the rides will become more interesting as the work is finished.

Fully explore all of the experience included in your basic room rate and take advantage of the. There are several excellent packages available from on-line travel sellers - shop around.

We were disappointment only in having to leave so many wonderful new friends back in paradise as we headed home.

We'll be back (a promise not a threat) and we'll find time to attack the Prickly Pear Challenge Course!

Room Tip: Some rooms are still be renovated - be sure to request (strongly) that you receive one of these...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
omegaet,
So glad to hear that your three day stay at Travaasa was magic! It sounds like you had a great mix of relaxation and activity. We're so happy that you'll be back to take the Prickly Pear challenge.
Katy, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

After tax season was over (I'm a CPA) I needed to get away and be pampered. This was just the spot. The views are exceptional, the accomadations very nice, the staff was amazing and the food was excellant. We had originally book a single queen room and found that it was way to small for us to spend three days, so they moved us to a room with two queen beds and it was just right. The rooms are very nice and they are in the process of remodeling them. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food is Austin Cuisine and a lot of the vegetables were grown on their own farm at the foot of the hill. Great views of Hill Country. The spa and staff are wonderful and friendly. We plan on going back.

Room Tip: Single queen rooms are very small.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Ronald B,
Glad we were a haven for you after tax season! We are pleased that you felt pampered and that you found everyone friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed our fresh cuisine. We do hope that you return again soon, hopefully before the end of the next tax season.
kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

That's what I got in reply from much of the staff. I complimented the GM for the incredible demeanor of EVERY staff member we encountered. The hospitality factor at Travaasa is WAY up there. It is so personal and believable. The resort is so lovely, as some said, a nature preserve, zen garden and aromatherapy rolled into one. Photos can't do it justice since the eye sees so much more.
Food was quite disappointing, but we only had one conventional dinner. The other 2 were set in more remote locations than Jean's Kitchen. We dined in a beautiful limestone building by the gardens and once at the "farm", under trees near Cypress Creek. That included 2 firsts: setting and partaking of the farm's fresh eggs--poached on a salad. The biggest problem I had with food was the temperature--either room temp or lukewarm.
Being a foodie, I'm am always in search of new culinary adventures. The only dishes I had in 3 1/2 days that evoked any memories were the desserts (something I seldom eat out!) Otherwise, our food wasn't special. I couldn't wait to come home to have homemade dressing w/olive oil and some vinegar! .Travaasa lacks in the salad dept. The flacid greens have too many stems, making them bitter, and dressing is almost tasteless.I had one small caesar but "crouton" was bigger than the romaine. Meats were overcooked (except for super-tender but cold short ribs). My fish was mealy.
I've been baking yeast breads for 46 years and I was crushed when I ate the Chef's signature sourdough. Incredible tang, but the bread was dense and heavy. Sadly, it was all we had except slider buns (mine were dry and toasted, crumbling squares). Even breakfast was served with a commercial grain bread of sorts. I can see why people mention the average breakfast buffet, too.
If you have a car, you may not want to do the inclusive. BTW Drink/wine prices are quite HIGH. Be forewarned.

Accommodations vary--we got 2nd best canyon room. 2Qs, fairly roomy, but large clunky furniture shrinks it down. Add a shower w/Euro Half door) that opens to the toilet. It gets wet when you exit. 2 beds, one sink? No WC, no tub. Our narrow balcony has chairs that face the room entry, not the canyon! For some reason they have nice roman shades on the windows but an ugly awkward drape on door (you have to open drape to open door--HUH?)

The SPA IS AWESOME. World class service and therapists. Can't say enough about it. I'm doing a blog on another website. Get the sacred stone and I recommend Janis. I had 2 massages w/her and that would drive me back to Travaasa first!
Next would be the Equine Encounter--do NOT miss this. Very special people and experiences. Check out Jasper!
Despite all my disappointments, Travaasa is an outstanding destination for a few days R/R.
There is so much to do a Travaasa; if you're active, do it all--if not, do what you want--swim, lounge, daydream. There a certain magic here--it's all around you....

Room Tip: Go for 5, 6, 7 casitas. Avoid 301 series due to balcony.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
kyshel,
I am so glad that you loved our staff, activities and facilities and did pass along the praise that you shared with me before you left. I appreciate your candid review of the food and will certainly be discussing your comments with the F&B Team, as we are constantly looking for ways to improve our service to delight our guests. I do hope that you and your husband return again to visit us soon.
Kristine
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My girlfriends and I headed down to the Travaasa for a quick spa weekend, but we wish we could have stayed longer. It's like a sophisticated camp for adults. The accommodations are upscale, but reminiscent of cabins. The spa and pool are amazing. The activities are engaging - make time for the Equine Experience! Dinner was delicious and locally sourced. Plus, they arranged to have smores at their fire pit when we commented that it would make the night complete! I left relaxed and refreshed! Will definitely return!

Room Tip: Go for the canyon view - it's worth it!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Adrienne N,
Thanks so much for the great review of Travaasa! It is great that you consider us to be like a Sophisticated Camp for Adults, because that is kind of what we aim for (minus the uncomfortable bunks!). I do hope you and your girlfriends come back to see us again soon,
Kristine Huffman, General Manager

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!