“The Ultimate in Relaxation” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 187 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Houston, Texas
“The Ultimate in Relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We recently returned from a much needed long weekend at Travaasa and thoroughly enjoyed the relaxing environment. It's nothing like most spa resorts that we've been to - that is obvious even during check-in. We weren't sure what to expect of the onsite restaurant, but the food was incredible every night and the menu was fresh. My only recommendation regarding food, is to avoid the buffet during breakfast and order of the menu. My wife and I had a couple of spa appointments and they were incredibly relaxing and well worth the price. Be sure to ask for a room on the 3rd floor as the views are amazing.

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd floor room and avoid the breakfast buffet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
CSHouston80,
So glad you joined us for The Ultimate in Relaxation here at Travaasa. We strive to create a unique experience for our guests and it sounds like we were successful in your case. I am particularly pleased that you found our restaurant to be incredible. We are proud of our fresh farm-to-table menu. We hope that you will return to us again soon,
Kristine Huffman, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Our recent stay at Travaasa was just wonderful. Beautiful serene, zen-like setting amid the rolling Hill country and Cedar ones, extremely pleasant staff, very service oriented, fabulous selection of activities from mind body wellness, yoga, meditation to unique Equine experience and Ziplining! and all sorts of other fabulous activities for all interests, deliciously fresh organic foods, top 10 US-rated Spa, zenlike calming rooms ... what else could one ask for? will definitely be back as much as we can ...

Room Tip: The newer recently renovated buildings 5,6,7 .... but all our good rooms with varying views
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GPVTX,
We are so glad you had a wonderful stay at Travaasa. It sounds like you enjoyed our vistas, experiences and food. We hope to see you again soon,
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I live about 40 minutes away and never knew this was here. It's a great little slice of Texas Hill Country with native plantings and just a good natural Texas vibe. Buildings are set along the edge of a canyon and you walk to dining, spa, fitness, meditation/yoga rooms which are beautifully designed so you can look out into the gardens or pool while taking non-competitive classes. The place has a harmonious blend of zen and luxury. Cars are separated from living and walking space so you and your luggage are transported by golf cart when you arrive. In exact contrast to the last review, I booked Sunday for Monday thru Friday with no problems. Tuesday morning I walked into the spa and booked a massage for that afternoon. My experience mid April has been "Wow, this place is quiet". Dining is as good as it gets with delicious fresh food. Every night I sit solo and watch the chefs cook and chat with them as I eat. They have twice prepared a modified dish for me personally. My complaint would be that as a solo guest, I have been the only person at the community table and although I feel this is perfect for a solo retreat, it would be nice if steps could be taken to bring folks like me together for dining, maybe even a cocktail meet up. My other complaint is the wifi in my bldg has been lame but that may have something to do with the Apple contingency staying here sucking it dry. I have thoroughly enjoyed the yoga, pilates, meditation, archery, equine encounter and watercolor. My massage by Lonie was perfect. I came to heal an injury and it has been an outstanding experience. I will come back when I again need a physical/spiritual retreat.

pskballet,
Thanks for your wonderful comments about your stay with us at Travaasa. We're so glad that you came to us to help you heal your injury and had an outstanding time. I like your suggestions about helping solo travelers get to know others. We'll look into adding more meet-ups into the schedule. I hope you'll come back again soon for another physical/spiritual retreat soon,
Best
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We reserved a trip to travaasa back in March for a May visit. We were super excited to try this new destination spa! Unfortunately, we learned the spa was completely full and despite speaking to several people and having paid thousands, we were repeatedly told that they could not accomodate us. Extremely disappointing. The management actually suggested we visited without going to the spa. Why would I vacation at a spa that I can not get treatments?

If you are looking for a beautiful Texas spa that holds customer service a priority, look to Lake Austin Spa! It is amazing!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Kasi S,
I am so sorry that we weren't able to schedule the spa appointments that you desired. We do strive to provide excellent service, but it sounds like we missed the mark with you. I understand that we did fully refund your deposit, and hope that you had a great time at Lake Austin. I do hope you give us another try. If so, please contact me directly so that I can help ensure that you get the spa appointments that you want at the times you desire.

All the best to you ,
Oklahoma City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Travaasa Austin is exactly what I needed. The spa: do not miss having a treatment with Amber, Amalie and Tracie. They each provide world class service and are each wonderful people. The grounds are beautiful. I will be back soon. The food at Jean's kitchen is amazing.

Notes: it would be nice if the resort Would provide more convenient room service.

cv59,
We're so glad that Travaasa was just what you needed. Amber, Amalie and Tracie will be delighted that you loved your treatments and chef will be pleased that you loved his food. We hope that you'll come for another stay soon,
All the best,
SA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was looking for an in-state getaway for a long weekend, and Travaasa more than fit the bill. I felt a million miles away in this beautiful, peaceful resort. You can choose from a multitude of classes, or simply kick-back and relax. The best part of my stay were the Yoga Classes! The instructor was kind, personable and very patient with a yoga 'newbie'. Just listening to her brought my blood-pressure down to a perfect level. I would recommend Travaasa Austin to anyone looking for a tranquil experience!

Kathy R,
Thanks for your Awesome review of Travaasa. We really appreciate hearing how much you enjoyed your visit, in particular the yoga classes. Hopefully the results of your visit will help keep your blood pressure lower, just by remembering us. And, we hope you return to us again soon,
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was our first time at an "experiential resort" so we didn't know what to expect. We had a great time though - it was kind of like Summer Camp for adults. There is a very peaceful vibe throughout the entire place (don't expect groups of loud people partying it up). The property is well laid-out and stays true to local Texas landscapes (don't expect hibiscus and lush lawns) and the buildings blend in very well with the scenery. They have many classes throughout the day that you can sign up for. **Sign up as early as possible because the popular classes (Archery, Equine Experience, Challenge Course) will fill up**. We did the Archery and Challenge Course and both were a lot of fun. My husband is a little afraid of heights so he declined the Challenge Course - but the instructors were great and you're completely harnessed to safety cables so I felt very secure the entire time. They also have a couple of hiking trails around the property that were neat and a great way to start the day.
We had a Canyon View room and it was wonderful - a great size, good views, very comfortable and nicely decorated.
Dinner at Jean's Kitchen was a surprise. We expected decent food but were blown away by the Wild Boar Short Ribs with sweet potatoes. So much flavor- they were incredible - I'd highly recommend them! The menu was cool because they try to do farm-to-table with local farmers as much as possible. And I really appreciated that nutrition and calorie counts were listed for each item. The chefs obviously go to a lot of trouble to create nutritious, flavorful, and low-calorie dishes. The sommelier (Edward) had really good wine recommendations.
My only negative about the experience is that it is very expensive. For the time of year that we visited Canyon View Rooms were $450-500night (which includes most of the classes but no meals). I got a 50% off deal for the night we stayed and thought it was good value at $250/night....but I won't be staying at Travaasa again until I find another discount package (but I'm actively looking for discounts because we had a great time there!)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Lara M,
Thanks very much for your great review of Travaasa! I am so glad you enjoyed our food, classes and the hiking trails. We do try to keep the hill country here peaceful and quiet for our guests, so I'm glad you found it to be like an adult summer camp.
We do hope that you do return to us soon,
Kristine Huffman, General Manager

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!