“Amazing retreat” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Tyler, Texas
“Amazing retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I'd been looking at staying at Travaasa Austin for our anniversary for MONTHS and luckily travelzoo ran a promotion that we could not pass up. :) From the moment you pull up to the gate, you feel like you have entered an oasis. You drive up this huge winding hill to the welcome center and are greeted by a very warm staff. We were shown to our room that was situated all the way at the back of the property. It was so peaceful. We had a canyon view room, and I believe it is smaller than the trail view, but we didn't really mind. The view from the balcony was breathtaking. We arrived late in the afternoon so most of the activities were over for the day but we decided to head out to the hiking trail. It's 2.5 miles if you do the whole thing, and not only a great workout, but very pretty as well. Such a peaceful way to start the trip! We opted to eat dinner on the property that evening and were amazed at how incredible it was! I loved how the nutrition information was listed on the menu as well. We had been told to make a reservation so we did, and there were only maybe 3 other tables in use. The next morning we had another incredible meal, this time out on the terrace. I took a Pilates class with Heather. What a workout!!! I think often times people think of Pilates as just a lot of stretching, but it really challenged me. It was great. Lunch was again fabulous and so fresh. I also spent some time at the spa, and opted to get the honey massage treatment with Amalie (sp?). It was beyond relaxing, and a great combo for someone looking for a massage and not necessarily a full facial, but something that incorporates it. The mask left my skin so clean and healthy feeling. She even sent me with the leftover and told me how to use it! Another great thing about this resort is that yes, it is 4 stars, but you see people mainly dressed in workout clothes and even spa robes. There is no expectation of needing to be dressed up. This part was especially appealing to my husband. Ladies, especially those with a "Texas boy" type like mine, will appreciate this. :) The second night, they once again recommended reservations, but we didn't take them too seriously, as the night before there were so few people. Well, we should have listened that night! There was a farm to table dinner with several chefs fom the area coming to prepare meals. We really wish we would have listened as I'm sure it would have been incredible! We wound up going into downtown Austin that evening, as it was not too far (maybe 30 minutes). The next morning we had to leave and we were so sad to go. We both agree we can't wait to return! The ONLY negative was that the first night the wind was so bad that because of my husband's allergies we were forced to use the AC and it was beyond loud (like something I'd expect in a 2-3 star hotel) that we woke up every time it kicked on. Luckily the 2nd night we were able to open the windows and get some sleep. If you go during the summer, bring earplugs. In the winter, hopefully you will be fine. All in all, can't wait to return. We left feeling sore from the workouts (love this!) relaxed, and like we'd had a true vacation! You won't regret going!

Room Tip: If you want a bigger room go with the trail view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TravaasaMNGR, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
MarissaKC,
Thanks so much for your wonderful review! I'm glad you enjoyed so many of the activities, food and services here. I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience with your air conditioner. You'll be happy to hear that we're upgrading many of our rooms here - including putting in central air, so that it will be much quieter for your next visit.
All the best,
Kristine Huffman, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
College Station, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had a group of 12 stay at Travaasa and it was truly amazing. The staff was extremely attentive and friendly. The unique activities gave a fun camp-like environment, and the dining was out of this world! Overall, there is an atmosphere of tranquility, with a undercurrent of high energy! I can't wait to return!

Karen W,
I'm so glad that your group had a great time here at Travaasa. We try to offer great programming, so I'm glad that you found us amazing. I hope y'all return again soon. Please contact me personally so that I can do something special for your group to help you celebrate during your next get-away.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Found this spot by pure chance. Much needed getaway and looking for a place to relax and this was the perfect place for a few days to recharge. Weather was perfect in November. Had a wonderful view from our room, excellent spa services, and the reflection pool looking out over Lake Travers and the Canyons was quite lovely for lunch and a swim. We enjoyed guided meditation in a peaceful environment, relaxing in a hammock and some great hikes in the 200 acre grounds.

Room Tip: We were in Canyon View, second floor, Brazos - beautiful view of canyons.
LMK7,
We're so glad you enjoyed our peaceful place in the Texas hills. I'm glad that you found us and took the chance to take your much-needed getaway here. We hope that you return again soon,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I'd not been to a true "destination" spa before and this exceeded my expectations - particularly since it seemed a lot more reasonably priced than other spas of this type. Staff was friendly and down to earth and the grounds were very nice. There were very few guests when I stayed, and I was only there mid-week, so there were not as many activities happening as I might have liked. But the ones I did participate in worked out well (45min is just the right amount of time).

I did not get the all inclusive meal plan, however the a la carte prices were not bad. Meals were well prepared, and the nutritionals are clearly disclosed. They do have wine available, which is not true at all spas.

The spa staff in particular was excellent and I enjoyed the body treatment I'd arranged far far more than any other spa treatment I have ever had.

Travaasa is a bit out of the way - Super Shuttle from the airport is a good option to consider.

Room Tip: Buidings 5 & 6 are closest to the spa and restaurant. I had a trail view from building 6.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
TravaasaMNGR, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
RFJ,
Thanks for joining us for your first visit to a destination spa. We're so glad you enjoyed our down-to-earth staff, spa services and activities. We hope that this will be just the first of many visits and that you'll return to visit again soon,
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I needed a quick weekend getaway and Travaasa did not disappoint.
The grounds were absolutely stunning and put you into an instant state of relaxation.
The service was friendly, but they did appear to be a bit short staffed while we were there.
The restaurant is where we noticed this and then all 3 nights we were there, they never opened the wine bar. Despite these small things, it was still amazing and I will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Amber R,
We're so glad you joined us for a quick get-away at Travaasa, and that we didn't disappoint. It sounds like you enjoyed our grounds and the sense of relaxation. We continue to work on our service standards, particularly in the dining room, so please know that we'll just keep getting better and better during your next visits.
Hope to see you again soon,
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I traveled with two girlfriends to Travaasa for our 6th annual girls' spa trip. I can compare Travaasa to: Mii Amo, Canyon Ranch (Tucson), Lodge at Woodloch, and Miraval. Travaasa is the first of all that I would enthusiastically return to in a heartbeat. While all have beautiful grounds and offer programs to enrich both body and soul, Travaasa outshines the others in terms of friendliness, overall comfort, quality of spa treatments, and (best of all) budget. I have found that a lot of the other destination spas focus on mental well being - whether it's getting through a divorce, an addiction, weight loss, etc. - and offer a lot of activities (many of which are extra fees) that cater to helping a guest through a life change. If you are in need of addressing something deep, then the other places may be for you. But if you are more interested in a great place to relax, unwind, and get in touch with your playful side (through hikes, slack lining, challenge courses, etc), then Travaasa will be more your speed. It's very much a summer camp for adults in the best possible way.

Spa treatments were among the best I've ever had (Samantha in particular gave me one of the best massages ever), though the spa lounge room was a little small, loud, and not as comfy as I would like (ex. no place to put your feet up). But it's also clear Travaasa is limited in space and that they're really doing the best they can with what they have.

Highly recommend booking the Total Travaasa package (all inclusive) if you are staying overnight. Meals are *fantastic* - healthy, fresh, and filling. I particularly enjoyed the nightly visit by the chef who wanted to ensure everything was to our liking. Menu selection was very generous, and price for alcohol were on par with what I would expect to pay in a non-resort restaurant (meaning prices were nor further inflated by being at the resort).

Travaasa isn't as "polished" as some of the other destination spas - a few maintenance issues with toilets, showers, and hot water while I was there - but staff will go out of their way to remember your name, engage in friendly conversation, and make sure that everything is just right and that you're having fun. The pool has a killer view and was a wonderful spot for drinking margaritas and reading my book. Overall my favorite spa trip so far, and at a fraction of the cost of others. I am already looking forward to next time.

Room Tip: Building 2 is a great location if you're interested in being close to the gym.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear beanweb24,
Thanks for joining us for your 6th annual girl's get-away. Wow, we are honored that you place us among the top resorts. Being the new guys, we've aspired to become known as a place where our guests can relax, unwind and get in touch with a sense of playfulness, so I guess we hit the mark with you guys.
When you return for your 7th, please contact me personally and I'll arrange for something special to help you celebrate,
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The rooms, the views, the quite, the breeze, the vibe -- it all adds up to a spectactularly relaxing time. Loved the helpful staff, who treated everyone like personal guests at their home, and the activities designed to engage without pushing. The spa is first rate, clean and modern (and the pool area very chic). The food is 4-star all the way and I'd return just for THAT. I loved the walking trails through the woods too. Excellent experience with none of the snottiness of most spa/resorts.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room with a canyon view so you can be above the trees and in the breeze. Rooms a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear SAWriter,
Thanks so much for the lovely review and we're glad that you were able to completely relax at our laid back place in the hills. Our team members will be glad to know that your enjoyed their service and we can't wait for you to return.
All the best,
Kristine Huffman, General Manager

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!