“Perfection” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 182 hotels in Austin
Houston, Texas
“Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

A three night trip with girlfriends could not have been better. The view from the pool and the amazing beds would have had us coming back. The experience continued with fresh, local delicious meals and activities that had us giggling endlessly. But what really made the experience special was the staff. Their individual personalities and knowledge made our getaway so fun and relaxing without any of the pretinousness that one would expect. thank you La Travassa for a perfect vacation.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
Dear TXpoison,
Now you've made everyone's day! Thank you so much.
All the best,
Tim

405 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Needed a place to relax and refuel, this place was it! The staff are all gems, who make you feel welcome, comfortable and attend to your every need. The grounds are calming and peaceful and beautiful. Go to relax, but do take advantage of the many well being classes and activities they offer, they are wonderful. Great hiking trails, plenty to do if exercising is what you want. If you want to relax, then you have to go here. The infinity pool has to be the best view in Austin. Every view your eyes set on here is calming and tranquil throughout. You cannot leave without feeling relaxed. I hope to return here soon!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Dear Nanette,
Thank you so much for your very thoughtful review. I am glad that you got to experience what we get to enjoy on a daily basis: we love we do, and glad you do too!
Warm regards,
Tim Thuell
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Just returned and definitely enjoyed the stay. The property itself is beautiful and everything is clean and well-maintained. We stayed one night, and took advantage of the ability to come early & stay late to participate in the daily classes and spa services/pool. (You can be there from 9 am - 5 pm before and after checking in/out of your room.) The staff was wonderful - friendly and knowledgeable. We felt we truly learned something in each experience. We were there on the weekend and there were basically hourly classes from 8 am - 10 pm. (The posted weekday schedule was much slimmer.) We took 5 classes total and enjoyed each one. The spa and pool area is very nice. We had massages, and they were good, but not out-of-this world, considering the price was much higher than you'd pay for an equally nice day spa in town. Still, glad we got them as they helped us achieve the relaxed state we were seeking. The food was very good, and can accommodate most diets. We were there as a couple, and my husband was definitely outnumbered. There are enough couples there to make the men feel welcome, but the majority of their business does seem to be women.

I give it 4 stars vs. 5 for the following reasons. First, the rooms seemed a bit spartan to us. The bed was extremely comfortable and the furnishings & balcony/canyon view were great, but the room was very tiny, the sheets a bit scratchy, and the bathroom seemed a bit "cheap" for lack of better word. Spotless and serviceable, just not what you expect, considering the price of this place. Of course, we did not spend much time in our room, so it was not a big deal to us. Just know that you are paying for the natural surroundings and participation in the classes, and in those areas you will not be disappointed. Our other issue was understandable considering this place has only been fully open under their new management for about a month, and that is they just haven't hit their stride yet. The facility was definitely underutilized, and some staffing and services were sparse due to this. For example, they "sort of" have a full bar, which may or may not be staffed depending on how busy things are, and they did not have any of the top-shelf liquors we asked for. (Beer and wine is readily available.) Also, if you don't eat during regular dining hours you may be out of luck (as we were), as the cafe/snack bar was not fully operating. We were disappointed that this was not clearly communicated to us at check-in. Still, the staff did their best to try to accommodate our needs, considering what they had available.

Overall we definitely enjoyed our stay. It is a very peaceful place and we left feeling relaxed and content. The price seemed perhaps a bit high for what it was, but not so much that we wouldn't return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear ShariV
Love this feedback, thank you. We are getting in to our stride, and as we become more popular we are able to make our offerings and programs more robust: sounds like a 'robust' bar might well be in order too!
Please keep coming back.
Best regards,
Tim Thuell
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

Since this was a tour to become reacquainted with the property during a recent trip to Austin, I will offer my opinion on the visual changes. I encourage readers to consult other Travaasa reviews for more detailed experiences. In my opinion, the spa / resort feel has been replaced by a destination experience that strives to capture the “feel” of the Texas Hill Country. The property does indeed seem more "Western." The property has undergone quite bit of change and amenities added, including televisions in many of the rooms, a ropes course and a mechanical bull riding workout – really! Many of the buildings are repainted and the dining area was remodeled. They also appear to be preparing for equine activities of some kind, though the staff would not confirm this. A small but welcome addition is the paving of walking paths leading to the various quest quarters. It’s just plain easier to walk and pull luggage than the former crushed granite pathways. The Spa and pool area remain well maintained. The location is about a 30 minute drive from downtown Austin and about a one hour drive from the airport. After my last stay at the property as the Crossings, I wondered whether I would return. In light of the upgrades and changes, I would be willing to give Travaasa a chance.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Fort Worth, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

The Travaasa is under new management and is a wonderful place to go to relax and unwind. I had been looking online for a place to escape to for my 50th. I had seen the prior reviews, but saw the Travaasa was under new management. The facility sounded like what I was looking for, so I decided to take a chance that it had improved under the new management.

I'm so glad I chose to stay there. They were more than accommodating! From the moment I checked in, I felt special. The room was so inviting with a wonderful, serene setting amongst the trees, overlooking a canyon. The bedding was like sleeping on marshmallows, it was so comfortable! The food was delicious! As good as any fine restaurant. There was a choice for each category, each sounding more enticing than the previous menu item.

The staff goes out of it's way to make sure you are happy, and have everything you need. There are beautiful trails to hike, or you can partake in their daily offerings from cooking demonstrations to yoga as well as many other fun things to do.

I decided to take most of a day for spa treatments, and I am so glad I did. What a relaxing experience. I had a body wrap, Swedish massage, facial, and scalp treatment. I could feel the stress melt away. The technicians were excellent. I walked out of there feeling renewed and refreshed!

I would definitely recommend the Travaasa! I wish I could have stayed there longer. Next time I will!

Room Tip: Make sure you do the package deal.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Lindale, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

My mother & I spent 4 of the most wonderful days here...Everything & I mean everything was just the BEST...room, spa amenities, food & most of all the friendly staff... the General Manager personally woke us up one morning (per our request) with a gentle knock on our door...I just can't say enough but FABULOUS...Please plan your next vacation to go here :)

• Stayed March 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

What a nice surprise! After having trouble finding last-minute accommodations in downtown Austin for the SxSW festival, I booked my four night stay at Travaasa. What I didn't realize at the time was that I would be staying at more of a resort-style retreat than a hotel/lodge.

The property itself is incredible; you really feel like you are "away from it all." Make sure you take time to walk the trails and take in the great views of Lake Travis and the surrounding Hill Country. Also, the views from the pool and restaurant are unmatched. I didn't have time to participate in any of the staff-led activities, but the options were plentiful. The staff I did meet were extremely pleasant and helpful.

My room was well appointed and I must say the bed was very, very comfortable. The organic cotton sheets (and bathroom robe) were also a nice touch! Each room has a front and back porch or balcony, and I found them to both very quiet and relaxing places to kick back after a long day in the city. I only ate two meals at the restaurant during my stay (dinner and b'fast), but both exceeded my expectations.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!