“A Step into Another World” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Second Bar + Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 2,939 Restaurants in Austin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Second Street
Description: Second Bar + Kitchen serves lunch and dinner seven days a week and offers a new downtown option for late night food, wine, and cocktails. Executive Chef David Bull and Chef de Cuisine Jason Stude offer an array of dishes from pizza and pasta to vertical rotisserie options. Lead Barman William Hankey and team feature regional drinks and interpretations of classic cocktails.
Scarsdale, New York
“A Step into Another World”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

From the outside on the street, Second Bar and Kitchen looks like a very contemporary restaurant but on the inside, sitting near the bar, we felt like we were in a folksy throw back to a Greenwich Village tavern. They had two large TV's playing an old Green Lantern movie from the 1980's, but with no sound! There was an element of humor about the restaurant and I suppose on reflection, my wife and I were probably the oldest people there! (And we are still relatively young! We started with salmon "hush puppies" that were little fried looking meatballs with salmon on the inside! and we both had interesting main courses that were tasty.

Visited February 2013

Dallas, Texas
“On.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My grown sons live in Austin and it was time for a quick trip to Austin and a good lunch with the boys. Our pick was Second Bar + Kitchen. It is my one son's favorite lunch spot and he is even a bigger foodie than I am.

So I expected great things and great things happened. We weren't there to "chit chat" with our server which he "got" and he played the role of order taker and deliverer exactly as we wanted. We knew the menu (thanks to my son) and we were able to sit, order and be served beautiful food. One must start with the truffled frites and the amazingly wonderful pepperoni soup. Both were served simply and the temps, textures and flavors were amazing.

We had the salmon which... now this means something... was cooked CORRECTLY. It is an art to cook fish correctly and this place has done a terrific job of training their kitchen how to do it right. All of their sandwiches and pizzas looked fantastic. The burger is excellent too.

You will find that LOTS of the area restaurant personnel come to Second to eat when they get off their shifts. Why? Because it is SOLID food made of REAL food that you can tell is fresh, thoughtfully prepared and delicious.

Lunch for the three of us with one iced tea, two waters, two appetizers was $60 plus gratuity. Excellent value for excellent food.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Denver, Colorado
“Good food and atmosphere, but awful service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stopped in for a late brunch based on a recommendation from friends who had lunch there the day before. I'm not sure if the server was pissed because we weren't drinking or if it was just because his gratuity was automatic, but we were completely ignored. Can't remember his name, but beware if you get a server with longish blond hair. Even without alcohol, we spent a good deal of money. It took forever to get drinks and place our orders and after we finished eating we sat around for about 45 minutes just to get and pay our tab. A couple friends had to leave for the airport and had no choice but to skip out early and promise to pay us back since they didn't have cash. Our server was a complete wreck and rude on top of it. The place was not anywhere near busy so there's no excuse. There is so much other good food in Austin, this place is worth skipping. The truffle fries and fried pickles definitely hit the spot while we decided what to order, but that might just be because it took 30 minutes to get to that point. I had the SBK benedict and it was good, but I had some food envy over the bar congress burger.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Food was great...a few disconnects”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

MY wife and I recently had lunch there for the first time. We arrived early and were happy we did because it soon became very crowded. They have very few seats with even a tiny degree of privacy. Mostly side by side small tables which reminded me of many small restaurants in NY.

We ordered a bottle of Chardonnay and then shared a wedge salad..very good. The server talked me into trying their signature cheeseburger topped with a fried egg (I'm sure it is sponsored by the American Cardiovascular Surgeons Association:-) My wife ordered a personal pizza with sausage. When the entree's arrived we found the pizza topping had been forgotten and the egg was missing from my burger. I asked the server if the kitchen was mad at him:-) He rushed off to fix everything and was soon back with everything as ordered. Food was tasty and we will return...but try to miss the busy times if it's possible.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Victoria, Texas
“Absolutely Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Our oldest son lives in Austin and at least once or twice a year my wife and I travel there to try new eating places so he picked this one for us. We had a few appetizers which were great then went on to the main courses. I'm not going to tell you what we had of either because I want you to experience them first hand without any input. All three of our dinners were different from each other and we all shared. We all agreed that the entrees were simply top shelf. The chef has a special talent with the blend of spices and presentation. You will not be disappointed. Fantastic!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere