“Amazing Food Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Congress Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #148 of 3,123 restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Second Street
“Amazing Food Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We have been wanting to try Congress since it opened and finally had our chance this weekend. Highly recommend it! Every bite was surprising, memorable and delicious. We chose the lesser priced 3 course menu and were not disappointed. It is perfect for a special occasion. The decor is elegant and refined. Nice background music but quiet overall so I could hear my husband. Only complaint is I can never see the menu with low light these days! Their food is truly an art and creative experience that we thoroughly enjoyed.

• Visited September 2012

85% Recommend
Paris, France
“Excellence on the plate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

After seeing it named as one of Bon Appetit's top tables, I had to give it a try. Took a friend and went for broke. The highlight was the second course of Tete De Cochon, Charred Avocado, Green Chili Hominy, and Bacon Marmalade. It was blow-your-mind good. The Garden Carrot Ravioli was very good, but I wish I had been hungry enough for the seafood.. the Lime-Basil dessert was the perfect cool, light, yet satisfying finish.
The wines started in the pricier range, but fear not: if you don't finish, the restaurant will nicely package up your opened bottle in a festive bag and allow you to bring it home. For two, with wine and dessert, it hit about $300, so it's definitely a special occasion or expense account table.
Service was pleasant, informed and inobtrusive--so: perfect.
Only gripe? I found the interior hopelessly bland. Bland bland bland. Hushed, overstuffed, beige. Like a dark, beige cave. It lacks the presence that announces you are participating in "dinner theater", which is what top restaurants should strive for. I prefer the bare-bones ambiance of Spring restaurant in Paris to all this neutral hush-hush. It sorely needs a dash of drama.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Memorable Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Our experience at Congress was fabulous. Everything from the décor, food, wine, service, and valet parking was impeccable. We ordered the seven course tasting menu with wine pairings. Although, there were several courses that my husband and I were not especially fond of, we decided to try them just for the experience. All the courses were elegantly plated and served; the server was knowledgeable about the food and wine, and we enjoyed each course. We were able to pick out some of the unusual flavors in both the food and the wine. The chef, David Bull, came out to greet the customers. It is not inexpensive but for a special occasion I don’t think one will be disappointed. There is a bar and Cafe that are a little less expensive.

• Visited August 2012
College Station, Texas, United States
“Enjoyable, but wouldn't return”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I had a lovely meal here with my husband. I can't really complain about the food- it was very good, as you would expect for this level of restaurant and price point. It met the standards, but nothing about it seemed any better or more special when compared to peer restaurants at this same level. I did not care for the layout or space in the restaurant. It just seemed too quiet with close proximity to other dinners to the point you feel like you are part of their conversation. It needed different/ louder music or better table separation to help up the intimacy factor. It was our anniversary and while we enjoyed the food and service- it was just average. If I'm comparing just food I'd go 4 or maybe 5 stars, but the general vibe here was sort of plain Jane.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“A special meal for a special occasion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My husband treated me to dinner at Congress to celebrate my 60th birthday. The whole experience certainly made this milestone birthday much more tolerable! It was a special meal with three incredible courses all full of flavor and beautifully presented. There were several highlights including a slow poached farm egg, cherry crusted scallops and the most incredible lime basil sorbet! Service fit the meal. We thought the price was not out of line for the quality of the food and experience. Bonus, the choice in music!

• Visited July 2012