“What an Experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 43rd
Description: We are proud to announce... Chef Tyson Cole, winner of the 2011 James Beard Foundation Award for Best Chef Southwest--Thank you Uchi and Uchiko family and friends for your support! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Uchiko, translated as "child of Uchi" from Japanese, is the next restaurant venture for renowned executive chef and sushi master Tyson Cole. Located in central Austin, this second location of Cole’s highly-praised Uchi presents the same excellence and energetic atmosphere of the original with some noteworthy additions. Uchiko will feature a new menu with Uchi’s same style of innovative, fresh cuisine, a main dining room that accepts reservations throughout the evening and an eat-in bar/café area.
“What an Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

While my visit was only for happy hour at the bar, it was still fantastic. I had the koviche which was a fresh diver scallop with kalamata and black lime - sweet and succulent! The brussel sprouts were cooked crisp with lemon chili sauce and were fantastic as well. My drink was a Ryoshuu which contained sparkling wine, elderflower, bitters and blueberry - crisp, bubbly, not too sweet - divine! The whole experience, while a little expensive, was a nice treat for a special occasion!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Orlando, Florida
“Fabulous and unique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great variety on the menu. Fresh taste. Loved the Brussels sprouts and golden beets. Shag roll was awesome. They should however add a little dictionary for some of the more obscure items included though ;)

Visited March 2013
“Yes, it is ALL that.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I cannot speak highly enough of the food at Uchiiko. You don't even really need to like sushi, per se. Just let the chef choose. It really IS as good as the hype. Don't leave Austin without trying Uchiko or its siister, Uchi. You'd be missing something special.

Visited February 2013
Austin, Texas
“An astounding 3 hour journey through flavors, textures and colors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Uchiko is the experience that drives me to keep trying the occasional high end restaurant. I rarely come of one and think "well...that was worth the money." My wife and I walked out of Uchiko and both said "That was an incredible bargain." It was an astounding journey of flavors, textures and colors over a 3 hour period.

Physically, Uchiko is located on one end of a modern structure in north, central austin. The interior is spacious and modern with dark, warm colors to offset the sometimes harsh lines modern architecture brings. I, personally, find the space to be very appealing.
We did not have reservations but came early and were rewarded with a relatively short wait (considering that it was a Saturday night during SXSW, a miracle actually). During the wait, we sat outside in the covered waiting area. Service was excellent and the kitchen sent around some noshy things for the 20 or so people waiting outside in a regular basis. Very nice.

Once inside, we were seated at the sushi bar (again, a personal favorite) and introduced to the chef who would be working with us during the evening. We ordered omakase (chef's choice, multi-course meal) and put ourselves in his very professional hands. I'm a little short on superlatives but let's just say it was magic. Absolutely magic. Pacing. Textures. Flavors. Temperature variations. Service from the waitstaff as well as our chef was top notch. Watching our dishes prepared right in front of us was a wonderful experience. Also of note, the person next to us ordered omakase as well. Because they had a different wine, there were differences between our menu as the chef hand tuned the experience to the wines chosen.

I would rate it an outstanding experience with no blemishes on any facet of the evening. Top notch and not to be missed.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“What a place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Now here is a place I would love to have in my town. Unfortunately I will have to wait for when I visit Austin. Even better than its sibling Uchi. Food, atmosphere, service, everything is in place here. We stayed mostly away from the usual rice driven creations, which were excellent anyway, in order to try more sashimi like dishes. Everything we shared amongst the four of us was delicious. At times I felt like Tom Hanks in Castaway, eating raw fish that I had just caught. Can't wait to go back.