“An astounding 3 hour journey through flavors, textures and colors” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Uchiko

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 43rd
Description: We are proud to announce... Chef Tyson Cole, winner of the 2011 James Beard Foundation Award for Best Chef Southwest--Thank you Uchi and Uchiko family and friends for your support! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Uchiko, translated as "child of Uchi" from Japanese, is the next restaurant venture for renowned executive chef and sushi master Tyson Cole. Located in central Austin, this second location of Cole’s highly-praised Uchi presents the same excellence and energetic atmosphere of the original with some noteworthy additions. Uchiko will feature a new menu with Uchi’s same style of innovative, fresh cuisine, a main dining room that accepts reservations throughout the evening and an eat-in bar/café area.
Austin, Texas
“An astounding 3 hour journey through flavors, textures and colors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Uchiko is the experience that drives me to keep trying the occasional high end restaurant. I rarely come of one and think "well...that was worth the money." My wife and I walked out of Uchiko and both said "That was an incredible bargain." It was an astounding journey of flavors, textures and colors over a 3 hour period.

Physically, Uchiko is located on one end of a modern structure in north, central austin. The interior is spacious and modern with dark, warm colors to offset the sometimes harsh lines modern architecture brings. I, personally, find the space to be very appealing.
We did not have reservations but came early and were rewarded with a relatively short wait (considering that it was a Saturday night during SXSW, a miracle actually). During the wait, we sat outside in the covered waiting area. Service was excellent and the kitchen sent around some noshy things for the 20 or so people waiting outside in a regular basis. Very nice.

Once inside, we were seated at the sushi bar (again, a personal favorite) and introduced to the chef who would be working with us during the evening. We ordered omakase (chef's choice, multi-course meal) and put ourselves in his very professional hands. I'm a little short on superlatives but let's just say it was magic. Absolutely magic. Pacing. Textures. Flavors. Temperature variations. Service from the waitstaff as well as our chef was top notch. Watching our dishes prepared right in front of us was a wonderful experience. Also of note, the person next to us ordered omakase as well. Because they had a different wine, there were differences between our menu as the chef hand tuned the experience to the wines chosen.

I would rate it an outstanding experience with no blemishes on any facet of the evening. Top notch and not to be missed.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

91% Recommend
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“What a place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Now here is a place I would love to have in my town. Unfortunately I will have to wait for when I visit Austin. Even better than its sibling Uchi. Food, atmosphere, service, everything is in place here. We stayed mostly away from the usual rice driven creations, which were excellent anyway, in order to try more sashimi like dishes. Everything we shared amongst the four of us was delicious. At times I felt like Tom Hanks in Castaway, eating raw fish that I had just caught. Can't wait to go back.

Edmonton, Canada
“Energetic Inventive & Adventurous Japanese Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I am a serious Japanese food eater. I know my what I like/ want and have dined at top-end japanese restaurants for $100+/ person. Uchiko offers something different -

Energetic atmosphere - like most newer trendy Japanese izakaya places that have sprung up in N. America. This is not the typical sushi bar, where you can expect a quiet environment with master chefs in the background preparing your sashimi/ sushi. Uchiko, however, does offer top quality sashimi/ fish if that is what you're looking for. I would absolutely place my bet on Omakase if that's what you're looking for.

Inventive & Adventurous - the seasonal menu/ house items many of which are items that you will have not much clue about as they are created in-house by their creative culinary team. Take a leap of faith and trust in your server more than you're usually comfortable with. Excitement and satisfaction guaranteed. Not for you if you are food-shy. You need to have an open-mind and appetite/ courage to experience new things.

Our server, Brian, is in the top 2% of servers you would ever meet in life. He's fun, knowledgeable and great conversationalist. Brian is probably the second server that I will remember from all my previous dining experiences. His track record is great - we loved 100% of all his recommendations. The way he described/ explained dishes is the exact way we expected them.

It's pricer than your average dine-out meal but for the experience, adventure and fun you'll have, it is well worth it. You will have so much fun and definitely create memorable experiences at Uchiko!

Without a doubt, Uchiko owns up to its reputation as #1 restaurant in Austin, TX on tripadvisor!

Top recommendations - conclude your meal with a piece of Gyutoro Nigiri (wagyu beef), they will blow your mind away! Also memorable was the sheep's milk/ bird's nest dish (forgot name) - unbelievable taste and texture!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin, Texas
“The Best Dining Experience I've Ever Had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Please go to Uchiko. Not only is the food amazing, but the dining experience cannot be matched. Each waiter is well-versed in the menu and is willing to cater to the diners' tastes. For example, I told my waiter that I liked yellowtail and beef. The waiter suggested a couple of dishes, which I tried and loved; thus, no knowledge about sushi is required. Moreover, much thought and effort is put into the presentation of the food. Everything is impeccable: the environment, the service, and the food. I highly recommend the wagyu beef, sea bream, brussel sprouts, yokai berry, and hama chili dishes. This restaurant is for the semi-adventurous eater with something to celebrate. While pricey, Uchiko is a great place to celebrate a momentous occasion. You will not regret it.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin Texas
“A great Sushi place anywhere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Everything about this place is superlative. It is famous throughout the US and highly recommended in every guide I have ever seen.

Visited September 2012