“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I had a great stay at the W Hotel in Austin. The hotel was clean and conveniently located. If you need assistance with local attractions see Nicole. The pool gets crowded, so be prepared. The hotel was was very active and a lot of fun. The hotel is located in a great area of Austin. We will be back

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Richard was so very thoughtful, friendly and conscientious. We came in daily to see our family staying at the W and he remembered us each time, offering water, asking how my young children had enjoyed going swimming, etc. A great staff member!

Green Features: Offers to recycle all over the property, including the pool where many were using glass and plastic and cans.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Hello Lindsey,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your experience visiting the W Austin. I am thrilled to hear that Richard made such a positive impression.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was lucky to stay at this hotel just a couple of weeks after grand openning. I think Janet Jackson was playing next door at the Austin Limits. Everything about this hotel is just awesome including the rooms..very trendy. The location is perfect. Plenty of great restaurants to walk to (safe area).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Very convenient and up to W standards in every way. Be warned, there is no self parking and valet is $31 a night! The pool was literally packed with people drinking and visiting. I didn't see anyone getting out to use the bathroom so that is kinda yucky. But for all the partying going on there during the day the hotel was surprisingly quite during the night.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I recently spent 3 nights at the W Austin over the July 4th weekend with my wife and two dogs.

Having stayed at numerous W Hotels all over the world it seemed logical to pick the W Austin particularly given the favorable pet policy – it also had some good write ups online.

We made a smart decision – unequivocally, this is the best W I have stayed in and despite the fact that nothing about our stay was cheap I can’t fault the experience – with two exceptions.

The rooms, pool area, gym, reception etc are all very typical of the Ws. Very smart, modern, functional and very homely (there is something about Ws that you makes you feel instantly at ease the moment you walk in) – the primary difference with this particular hotel however was the staff; from the valet to the check-in staff, concierges and bell boys this place has got it right. I can’t fault anything about any interaction (phone, email + face-to-face) with any of the staff throughout the whole stay.

If there is a niggle it would be the cost of room service and the fact you have to pay for in-room wi-fi.

Room Service: 2 normal breakfast Omelets, 1 extra sausage, 1 orange juice, 1 tea = $74 (inc 15% tip) – come on! $74! ! That’s crazy in any currency.

In room wi-fi: I stayed for 3 nights, my total bill was c$1950. Why, having spent all that money should I then have to pay for in-room wi-fi. I can’t think of many hotel groups that make you pay for in-room wi-fi anymore, it is a very dated way of generating increased revenues and I think give the fact that the Ws target a typically younger, professional demographic the least it should do is allow said demographic the ability to freely use the internet! I appreciate this sounds ridiculous but I would rather they increased the room rates by the cost of in room wi-fi ($15 per day I think). It isn’t the money I have an issue with, it is the principal of paying c$400 per night for a room to then pay $15 for wi-fi.

To summarise, if you are looking for a very relaxing, smart and 100% stress free hotel experience in Austin (particularly if you have pets with you) you should absolutely stay at the W – just don’t order room service and know in advance that you will have to pay for in room wi-fi. If you can handle those two things this is an amazing place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Hello Petrina,

Thank you for being our guest at W Austin. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that you had positive interactions with our talent throughout the property. I apologize for the frustration that you experienced with the cost of Wi-Fi and In Room Dining. For any future stays, please keep in mind that we do offer many packages that include Wi-Fi and daily breakfast for two in the rate. My team and I value your feedback immensely, and I appreciate the time that you took to share your experience. We hope to welcome you and your two dogs back soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The W Austin excels at both the big things and the little things. The public spaces, including the pool and exercise room, are a pleasure : lovely and minimalist but nonetheless luxurious in feel. Service was friendly, the room fresh, and the beds divine. The "over the hills and far away" spa treatment was exceptional. Our room was very quiet, indicating to me that even the bones of the building were well designed and built. My only nit to pick is the excessively cool air conditioning, which, in fairness, seems to be a bit of a plague throughout the city. Given the W's overt commitment to being green, however, the energy waste from excessive air conditioning seems hypocritical. Altogether, I strongly recommend the W and I'd like to return someday.

Room Tip: Look for room specials and remember, if applicable, to use your AAA number for good rates. Book as...
Green Features: There are many good practices, but the excessive air conditioning in public areas is a little disappointing.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your review of the W Austin. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and that you were able to take advantage of our outlets, including the Away Spa treatment. I apologize for the air conditioning issues, and I appreciate you sharing this feedback with us. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The W is our hotel choice wherever we go! The W Austin went above and beyond for my girlfriend and I - I was trying to celebrate a homecoming and plan a romantic evening and asked the staff before arriving if they had any recommendations on places to go or things I could set up at the hotel to make the night extra special. Without being prompted, they without hesitation upgraded us to a cool corner suite, and surprised my girlfriend with a complimentary bottle of champagne, chocolates, strawberries and a personally hand written note welcoming us.

Aside from our special accommodations, the W delivered with a clean room, excellent service, chic cool pool and of course an overall amazing stay. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to W Austin? Share your experiences!