“Above and Beyond” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Austin, Texas
“Above and Beyond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The W is our hotel choice wherever we go! The W Austin went above and beyond for my girlfriend and I - I was trying to celebrate a homecoming and plan a romantic evening and asked the staff before arriving if they had any recommendations on places to go or things I could set up at the hotel to make the night extra special. Without being prompted, they without hesitation upgraded us to a cool corner suite, and surprised my girlfriend with a complimentary bottle of champagne, chocolates, strawberries and a personally hand written note welcoming us.

Aside from our special accommodations, the W delivered with a clean room, excellent service, chic cool pool and of course an overall amazing stay. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

712 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just stayed there for my 4th time in as many months. This W location is so far my favourite of all I have stayed in. From the check in though check out the staff were very attentive. The pool area was very enjoyable, the cool pool was a respite from the 100+ degree weather. The bar lounge in the lobby was really cool. I love the wall to wall shelves with vinyl records although I was upset they didnt play the Ernie & Bert record I found in their collection.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Such great service!! Spa was also excellent. Would definitely stay again!! Had our 2 1/2 year old daughter with us this time, and the staff treated her like a princess. :) Highly recommend this hotel. Just wish they had a bigger pool and/or one this is more "family friendly." They had a second pool, but I think it was for W residents only.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

As always the W delivered! I was looking for a chic spot with a great pool to celebrate a ladies weekend getaway. Our group is ages 28-30, technology and fashion professionals so we were looking for something fun but very classy. Let me be clear, the pool gets busy in the afternoons on weekends and the tunes are bumpin but this isn't Wet Republic (Vegas). It was a perfect balance of party and class.

We hit the pool early, about 10am on Friday and Saturday and it was very low-key, relaxing. I strongly recommend this time for families or anyone seeking a more relaxing experience. Drink service begins at 11am and the pool gets pretty full by 1pm. There are limited chairs but don't worry, mingling in the pool is strongly recommended! If the crowd makes you nervous, opt for a cabana or kasbah. We got a kasbah on Saturday and it was a total win. We arrived to find a basket of goodies including sunscreen and drink coupons. It was great to have our own space to stash bags, shoes, and enjoy a snack.

As for the guests, the pool crowd was late 20s - early 40s. A good mix of bachelor/bachelorette parties, couples, friends, group trips. The second anyone got too rowdy - excessive splashing, etc security stopped by with a warning. I had a great time mingling, there weren't any creepy people as you sometimes get in Vegas pools... Also, this is the W so plan to look sexy! However, ladies, leave the heels in the room, the pavement is hot and you'll want some sandals/flip flops to easily run to the restroom in.

The poolside cocktails were excellent, I recommend the Mangoliscious (frozen) and W Juice (a light, lemon mixed drink on the rocks). Every single server and bartender had a smile on their face despite the 105 temp and had great recommendations for us. Drinks poolside took about 10-15 mins but there was no line at the bar. Drinks at the kasbah took maybe 3 mins, they delivered very quickly.

After two long days at the pool, we called it an early night on Saturday (I know..). I was shocked at how quiet the room was despite the bar scene in the lobby/adjacent bar. We had a cool corner room. The space was fantastic and bed was heavenly. Let's face it though, we were way more concerned with the pool!

Overall an excellent stay and I will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This W is unbelievable, the staff let alone is always at your service and will do anything for you to make you happy. I have never been so satisfied in my life and I have stayed at many different hotels around the world. I know the price is high but I am telling you it is more than worth it.

• Stayed July 2013
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I live in Austin but decided it would be fun to stay with my two teenage kids at the W during the downtown July 4th symphony and fireworks celebration. We had asked for a room with a view of Lady Bird Lake and the fireworks, and did have a room on the 6th floor with a balcony. The room was very contemporary and comfortable, although in hindsight we should have requested a much higher floor so as to see the lake and not be just above the roof of the building next door with somewhat limited visibility. We had planned to enjoy the pool area until the evening fireworks, but the pool was literally packed end to end with 20-30 somethings standing with drinks in hand the entire afternoon with no room for any enjoyment of the pool, and no seating or lounging available. It was a body to body "wading" pool and not at all what we expected to find. I had the impression that most were not hotel guests, but people who had purchased $25 wristbands for the use of the pool, and it appeared that it was one very large party that had taken over the wet deck. We could see the pool from our balcony and waited for a chance to try again to get a seat or have some room in the water. It did not happen. There was more than one occasion where we witnessed families with younger children go to the pool and then immediately leave because it simply was not available to them. On our first attempt to go, I asked about an available chair at the pool and was told "In Texas it gets hot and everyone wants to enjoy the pool!" Really? I had no idea. After that somewhat flippant comment we left. Anyway, the W Austin is a nice, very hip hotel, but maybe too into the partying and renting aspect of its pool and other spaces, and not so much a place for families to enjoy a fun weekend. Maybe if I were single and 25 it might have more appeal. The morning of check-out I received an envelope with a complimentary drink. Unfortunately, the W placed it under my door the morning I was checking out rather than the day before when I could have used it. I would have used it too, since the drinks were $15.
I'm not sure what the W plans to do about the crowds in the future, but I know I can't justify spending this kind of money on a hotel with amenities that are not available to me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had originally booked for two nights, then cancelled a night, then needed two nights after all and called to see if the hotel could accommodate. Even though they were "sold out" the mgmt. made an extra effort and did get us a room for two nights - which was super customer service friendly and impressive!

Beggars can't be choosy, but they told us we'd have a room with a queen bed and a full size "cot," which did not turn out to be the case. Had the queen, but the cot turned out to be a "blow up mattress" which was not great, plus phones did not work (weren't plugged in and had to figure it out), plus A/C kept me up all night as it was making loud, strange noises.

Did switch to a bigger and much better room the second night which was excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Hello, and thank you for being our guest at W Austin. We sincerely appreciate that you took the time to post a review of your experience. I apologize that you were not fully satisfied with your initial room; however I am thrilled to hear that we were able to get you moved to a room that exceeded your expectations. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Warm Regards,
Drew McQuade

Been to W Austin? Share your experiences!