“A Little Too Happening” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“A Little Too Happening”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Let me preface this review with saying that no one loves a hip place more than I do, however, this was just crazy. From the moment we checked in on a Friday night until it seemed to get better on Sunday night, This place was just nuts. We could barely walk in the front door when we got there because of all the people in the bar/lobby, etc... Again, I love a hip place, but not a fraternity house. I did not even like fraternity house parties when I was in college, so certainly not for someone in their forties (I will keep just where in my forties to myself).

We got to our room (and they did make a slight error with the reservation, but the front desk cleared it up) on the top floor. Nice room (spectacular king room???), although I thought it would be a bit bigger. No view, but that's okay. If you want to bathe, forget it. Nice shower, but no tub. Water pressure not good at all, but I think that is standard at all W Hotels (to get more pressure the water saver must be removed, which is not very "green". Additionally, no bathroom door, so for those shy couples, this would not be for you.

Excellent location, as you can walk most places. If you are there on a Saturday, check out the farmers market around the corner. It was amazing (bring your own bags, as they do not have any at the market). The lake is right there, although we did drive to go paddle boarding. Additionally we rented bikes and road around and eventually ended up in the SOCO area.

The pool. Well let's just say we did not even attempt to go until later on Sunday. From the goings on in the elevator, it was basically an additional fraternity party. People were stumbling on to the elevator with their plastic cups, and I actually thought someone was going to get sick. This was constant throughout the weekend. Not the type of pool atmosphere that I was looking for. When we finally made it up there, it was really nice. Not very large, but certainly a nice place to hang out. On top of all the nonsense going on there, when you check in they give you a paper bracelet that you have to wear to get into the pool. No this is just not something I can get with. What about my cousin coming to hang out with us? Well the front desk said they would do me a favor and give me an extra. Really??

Now to the good stuff. Woke up Sunday morning (around 9 ish) and went down to the lobby/bar area for some coffee (on the house and nice touch). Walking down the hall was a girl sitting outside her room on the phone. Really. Is this a dorm? She doesn't want to wake her friends, but the rest of the floor is okay. While riding on the elevator, 3 people get on, and one had her pillow and comforter. Seriously. I think there were like 8 people in some of these rooms partying it up. This was just too crazy for me. I did complain to the manager or assistant manager, not too sure. He apologized and said they have security to control this. I must say there was security there, but mainly at the front door and at night, and also police there every night too. I never saw any security in the elevator or walking around the hotel. He said he could not control the clientele that they have, which I do understand, however, you can do something about tons of people in one room and loitering drunk around the hotel, on top of hanging out in the hall on the phone. I think the best (in a very, very scary way is that all these people left the bar after drinking and got into their cars). He was very nice, but basically I told him I would never stay at this particular hotel again. Later, he sent up snacks, water and a note apologizing, which was a nice touch, however, returning there is very doubtful unless it is during the week. they really need to do something about this atmosphere otherwise they will lose the clientele that is over the age of 30.

Again, a beautiful hotel, centrally located, but I just cannot get over the nonsense that goes on. If I want to have a drink when I get back to the hotel, it was almost impossible. Not something I can get on board with.

Room Tip: Away from anyone in their twenties.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Hello,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent experience at the W Austin. I appreciate the time that you took to write this detailed review of your visit, as it allows me the chance to correct these issues with my team. I apologize for the shortcomings with your room type. While we do have rooms with tubs, I regret that you were not given the option. The open bathroom design feature is in a number of W's, and while I agree does not make for an ideal privacy situation, we do have curtains available upon request to minimize some of this.

I am also sorry to hear about your experience on the Wet Deck. Unfortunately because the pool is such a popular spot for hotel guests, we are unable to allow unregistered guests to enter on the weekends. My team and I strive to create a safe and comfortable environment on the guest floors as well, so I am disappointed to hear that hallway noise impacted your stay. Please do keep in mind that our team is always available to address noise issues.

I am thrilled to hear that you were able to take advantage of our fabulous location, and enjoyed our local farmer’s market.

I would love to address the rest of your feedback so that I may learn more about your stay, and share your feedback with my team. Should you be open to chatting more, I can be reached at drew.mcquade@whotels.com or 512-542-3633. Thank you again for your review. I hope to connect with you soon.

Drew McQuade

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This place is so money they don't even know there money. The location is walking to everything you need. Austin City Limits (basically a rock n roll hall of fame and stage) is attached. Food, Spa and Service was as good as I've ever had Anywhere. I left a Bettanin Venturi Wingtip Shoe in my room and it was on an airplane foc the next day.

Room Tip: Any room is great you wont' be in it a whole lot. pool spa and city location takes all your tim...
Green Features: Green, green, green, green tea in the spa! They recycle - re use what can always ask you what you need to feel green
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Block Island, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I truly enjoyed my recent stay here. Great atmosphere and the employees are very courteous and helpful. I would stay here again. The spa and gym are outstanding. Gym is the nicest of all the hotels I've stayed at.

WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Hello Gregoire,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the W Austin. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Sweat, and the Away Spa.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I recently stayed at the W in Austin for business. I travel almost weekly and stay in many hotels. The service at this hotel exceeded my expectations, everything I requested was handled professionally and with a great attitude. They took care of my every request efficiently and accurately. I would definately recommend this hotel and stay again. Thank you for a great experience!!!

WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Hello Cris, thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am thrilled to hear that you had a nice stay and that my team was able to meet your needs in making it a memorable one. We appreciate the feedback, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Albany, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I was a guest at the “W” in Austin from May 4-8 and was thoroughly impressed by the level of service and attention to detail displayed by the staff at this hotel. I noticed that even the dust rugs in front of the elevators were changed three times each day because when going to breakfast the rugs displayed “Good Morning”; in the afternoon “Good Afternoon”; etc. This may seem trivial, but I’ve found that organizations that do the little things well generally do a good job overall. The property is ideally located in the 2nd Street District so everything in the downtown area is within walking distance. When traveling to Austin in the future I will definitely plan to stay here again.

WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Hello Jeff, thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that you enjoyed your time in the Second Street District. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I am sure there are other fantastic hotels but the W in Austin is excellent. Not quite as stuffy and trandy as other W hotels. Great location near Austin City Limits and local restaurants and bars. Service very attentive. Nice pool area and the bar at night is fantastic. Room was typical W. comfortable. I was here on business mid week so odid not experieiince a weekend crowd. I will return!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Burley in Wharfedale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I arrived into Austin on business, had a full day of meetings and didnt get to the hotel till around 9.30pm, at which time I was shattered, sadly I also left the next morning early so my time in Austin was limited and at the hotel however...

The hotel is in a great location, central and feels to be one of the best places to stay, upon arrival I was greeted but not quite as well as previous W Hotels, the room was spacious, really well equipped and the bed was incredibly comfortable + I was shattered!

Breakfast the next morning was OK, the service was really slow. I got to breakfast with plenty of time before my flight but kept having to ask how long it would be (I only ordered Oatmeal) having to request more water at the table is very strange firstly in the US in general, and secondly in a top hotel.

All in all I would stay there again if I was in Austin, good location, cool hotel, polished, fun, and I am sure given more time I could have enjoyed more of what the W Austin has to offer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to W Austin? Share your experiences!