“Classy but cold...probably the best in Austin” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #15 of 182 hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Burley in Wharfedale, United Kingdom
“Classy but cold...probably the best in Austin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I arrived into Austin on business, had a full day of meetings and didnt get to the hotel till around 9.30pm, at which time I was shattered, sadly I also left the next morning early so my time in Austin was limited and at the hotel however...

The hotel is in a great location, central and feels to be one of the best places to stay, upon arrival I was greeted but not quite as well as previous W Hotels, the room was spacious, really well equipped and the bed was incredibly comfortable + I was shattered!

Breakfast the next morning was OK, the service was really slow. I got to breakfast with plenty of time before my flight but kept having to ask how long it would be (I only ordered Oatmeal) having to request more water at the table is very strange firstly in the US in general, and secondly in a top hotel.

All in all I would stay there again if I was in Austin, good location, cool hotel, polished, fun, and I am sure given more time I could have enjoyed more of what the W Austin has to offer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

686 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed at the W in Austin for a 4-day business trip. I must say, it made the fact that I was there for work, seem fun and extremely relaxing. From the moment you pull up and walk into ‘the living room’ you feel the high class of this hotel. There were many special touches that made this hotel a cut above the rest: the stations of flavored water throughout the hotel, the Bliss spa products in each room, the ‘Good Morning, Good Afternoon & Good Evening’ rugs, the Happy Hour drink specials and the décor in each guest room and in the lobby.
The staff was extremely nice and accommodating. They made sure each guest felt at home and special.
I will certainly be staying here any time I’m back in Austin and would 100% recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our amenities and atmosphere contributed to your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I really loved everything about it: the cool design, the great bar, the friendly staff, the soft cushions, the trendy bathroom, the perfect location... This place makes you feel special.
Two little improvements that could be made: I think that the wifi in the bedroom should be free (I did not feel like going downstairs in the hall to check my emails and I thought 15 dollars per day to have the internet in my room was too expensive); and I would have liked to get a free bottle of water in my room everyday not just on arrival.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. We thank you for your feedback regarding our in-room Internet fees and our apologies for not refreshing your water during your stay, as we do offer guests complimentary daily water, not just on arrival. Our apologies for this inconvenience, and thank you again for your review. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Corinth, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

The room was not set up as practicle. No door on the bathroom. No convenient outlets, Room service served on a tray with no table to set it on. The halls seem drab and worn. The entrance is unimpressive. The bellmen were nice. But don't try to talk with anyone at the front desk as they are too busy and put you on hold repeatedly. Try somewhere else. Not this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't Go to this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. My apologies for the negative experiences you encountered during your stay. We strive for a superior customer service experience for all guests, so my apologies that this did not happen during your stay. I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay with your further, so that I may address the issues with my team. I can be reached at drew.mcquade@whotels.com or 512-542-3633. I appreciate the review, and look forward to connecting.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Not only is the W Austin's location amazing, views breathtaking, the rooms spacious but if you ask me what the most special thing about this place is I would say...the people! (Brandon + Jason..this goes out to you two). You really experience Southern hospitality in a way that truly is unforgettable, they go above and beyond to really do whatever/whenever. Delighted to have stayed here and counting the days until I come back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that you had a nice stay and that Brandon and Jason made your stay even more memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I got married this last weekend and, although we live in Austin, wanted to stay somewhere special for our wedding night. We are loyal SPG members and had points we could use at the W Austin. They helped make our night very special and made us feel very welcome.

I contacted them ahead of time letting them know it was our wedding night and they made sure it was a special night for us. Free upgrade to a corner "Fabulous" room with a great view, complimentary prosecco and chocolate covered strawberries, and complimentary breakfast the next morning.

Overall, the staff were very nice, especially when we arrived during a thunderstorm! We would definitely stay here again or recommend it for anyone looking for a fancy night.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have wonderful views on 3 sides!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Let me just say one thing before I get into the negatives...the hotel was gorgeous and the room was beautiful and modern. The beds were very comfortable the location in downtown Austin was fantastic...But a bunch of small issues made this hotel a bit of a dissapointment.

My mom and I were visiting Austin from Canada and we stayed at the W for 3 nights. The hotel itself was great but at $300ish/night you think you wouldnt be ripped off at every corner...well at the W you definitely are, make sure you are ready to pay out the nose for every little thing....wifi is $14/day PER device, there is no coffee machine in any of the rooms and if you want one you have to request it. I phoned and requested it a week or so before and when we checked in there was no machine and we had to phone to get one brought up. The maids never replenished the coffee each morning either so we had to go ask for more each day. There is bottled water in the room but it is not free...$5 for a very small bottle. There is a tiny fridge but it is packed to the brim with very expensive minibar items and there is no room to put anything in it (ie. items that you bought outside the hotel for MUCH cheaper).

We stayed in a room with two queen beds and the window looked out to a concrete wall. I would not reccomend staying in these rooms if you are big on privacy since the shower is behind a clear glass door with zero privacy in the middle of the bathroom. There was a note that said you could order a privacy curtain to be brought up if needed but it just seemed like a hassle.

As beautiful as the bathroom was it was designed without a womans needs in mind....the sink took up 90% of the vanity and there was barely any space for makeup or hair stuff or anything. The mirror was far away since the counter was not flush against the wall (About 4 inch gap) so stuff would always fall down behind and you had to crawl around on the ground looking for it. Two women trying to get ready with a bunch of beauty supplies was hilarious. No room for anything! It made us mental trying to struggle to get ready at the same time. On top of all that, the lighting was also very low in the bathroom so doing makeup was difficult since the main mirrow was far away. There was a full length mirror on the wall near the sink area but the lighting was so low you couldnt do much. To a man these things might seem small and petty, but honestly as a female these are annoying hassles. I ended up sitting on the bed and doing my makeup in a hand mirror because it was easier than fussing over the horribly designed bathroom area.

Dispite zero-privacyness of the shower, the actual shower itself was great. It rained down from above with great water pressure and there was even a mirror in the brick work of the wall which was nice when washing face/etc.

In the middle of the night on the second evening of the trip the phone on the nightstand started beeping at 4am. It would beep a few times and then stop until I pushed a button to finally silence it after about 3 rounds of this stupid beeping. I was very annoyed. There was no messages or anything so I really confused why it was beeping. The next evening as we were getting into bed the freaking phone started beeping again and I had to call down to the front desk to get them to come up to the room. They said the battery was probably low and they would have to come back with batteries later. We had a 6am flight and were already in our pajamas so I just handed to phone to the guy and told him to take it with him. I couldnt take any more crazy beeping. There as a corded phone on the desk by the TV so it I didnt understand why there needed to be a second phone anyways. The cordless phone had a base that plugged into the wall so I dont know why it was failing the charge the phone when docked. Just frusterating all around to have to deal with something like that while you are trying to relax on a mini-vacation.

One day we also tried to use the free car service that they advertised in the room, we went down to the lobby at 11:00am one day to go to a bridal store about 15 minutes away but we were told the service doesnt start until noon. bummer.

So all in all, W was a beautful hotel but for the price I was quite underwhelmed. I have stayed at hotels far cheaper with much more included and better designed hotel rooms. Next time I visit Austin I think I will save my money and stay somewhere a little less flashy and a lot more practical.

Room Tip: If travelling with friends and you are shy be sure to ask for a privacy curtain as the showers are c...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I appreciate your candid feedback and would very much welcome the opportunity to speak with you further, as I can see there were some interactions with my team that led to a less than enjoyable stay for you. We strive for superior customer service, so your feedback is extremely helpful, and we are grateful for the opportunity to better understand the issues to address directly with our teams. I can be reached at drew.mcquade@whotels.com or 512-542-3633. Thank you again for your review, I look forward to connecting with you.

Drew McQuade

Been to W Austin? Share your experiences!