“Turned business trip into unexpected amazingness” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Turned business trip into unexpected amazingness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed at the W Austin the last weekend of February 2013, and had the most amazing time one can have on a business trip. I checked into the hotel expecting to get my key, and go up to my room to complete some work before my business meeting the next day. However, I was pleasantly surprised with an offer by Noe at Check-in for two tickets to see Mary J. Blige next door at the Moody. At first I was in shock, thinking that he was joking but he was very serious. He absolutely made my day, and that business trip, as a matter of fact. I called up a girlfriend who lives in town, and we went next door and enjoyed our random but well needed break from reality, and submersion into the wonderful world of Mary J. Thanks again Noe for making my business trip to Austin an amazing experience. I will also mention that the service I received by several employees was top-notch. I would definitely stay at the W Austin on any other trip to the city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review of the W Austin. I'm so happy to hear that Noe was able to provide a mini escape for you at ACL-LIVE while you were in town. We appreciate the feedback, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warm Regards,
Drew McQuade

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Montgomery, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This was my first-ever stay at a W. The decor was very modern and had a European feel to it. My favorite aspect of the room was the shower and the Bliss products with the fresh citrus fragrance. My overall favorite aspect of the hotel was the fitness center which contained a large array of free weights and weight machines. This W also contains a separate residence section and I noticed several full-time W residents working out with me in the fitness center and enjoying a personal training session inside the aerobics/yoga room.

The W Austin is within easy walking distance to all of the downtown hotspots, including the 6th Street district.

• Stayed February 2013
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We recently spent two nights here. Great location - close to many great restaurants and things to do and see. Our room looked over the lake from the 12th floor - amazing! Could not be more impressed with the room...well, except that there is nowhere to put your clothes. Can't really unpack - only some hangers but no drawers. A bit odd, but the room was beautiful anyway. "Living Room" bar areas cool, lots of couches and chairs to just hang out and have a drink. Our breakfast in Trace was amazing too. The only issue seemed to be with the cleaning staff. Our room wasn't ready on time (3pm...had to wait until 4pm...no worries; wandered around town). Then the next day we returned to the hotel at 4:30pm after an entire day of sightseeing (left at 9am) and the room had not been cleaned. We wanted to relax, so when the cleaning staff came at 5pm we declined service. Then at 8:20am the next morning they knocked on the door. Really? 8:20am? I know we're checking out, but check out time isn't until noon. Turns out that they clean on the weekends until 5:30pm and you're supposed to indicate if you need it done before then....so if you stay there, just make sure you do that. Kinda odd, but overall a great experience there.
Austin Java, around the corner, is great for breakfast! There's a market on the next street as well. Very handy!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Excellent hotel - location could not be better, staff is helpful, and rooms are beautiful. Lower floors can be a little loud when there is a festival or ACL.... recommend a higher floor. Prices can be steep but the experience is worth it.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

They treated me RIGHT!!! So, my wife and I wanted to spend a night to celebrate my birthday. Turned out the W is the place to be in hip downtown Austin....They gave us a free upgrade to a Spectacular room on a high floor with panoramic views of the lake. Free ride to our restaurant in a brand spanking new, black Acura SUV. The hotel is walking distance to the lake, to cool bars, restaurants, an art movie theatre and tons of live music venues. Few more blocks and you can catch the metro in downtown. Our room was very clean, the decor minimalist, urban simplicity and large windows. They even printed my own birthday card and sent it to my room with a decadent chocolate mousse cake. Since it was Friday night we decided to have a look around in their famous Living Room which is really 4 interconnected lounge rooms with plush couches and funky love seats. 2 bars, couple of fireplaces and cool people of all ages (artsy types and businessmen alike) hang out to listen to a live DJ spinning vinyls. Unlike any other hotel "lobby" I've seen before. Way cool!
We had breakfast in their restaurant the next morning and it was really, really good. The best part is that I got the room for free with my SPG points. Highly recommend checking this place out!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side look over the lake and the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New Braunfels, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The W Austin only has valet parking for $31 a night. I parked across the street at City Hall for $10 a day. The lobby was extremely small as were the lounge areas. The lobby was confusing with lots of desks and no clear signage as to which were concierge and which were check-in. Didn't feel the luxury I expected of a W. It was very dark and felt oddly unwelcoming. I would have liked a basic overview of the hotel public spaces at check-in. The elevator could result in a game of twister as every person that gets on must use their key to access their floor. The room was well designed and small and the view of the river was nice. One perk was access to a free local shuttle courtesy of Acura. The hotel is located close enough to all the action and about 6 blocks to the convention center. There are a multitude of dining options nearby including La Condessa; I would not return for their overpriced Mexican food that didn't taste all that great. The nearby City Hall Cafe is my recommendation for breakfast, lunch, or a cup of coffee.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the river
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. Our apologies that your welcome experience and navigation with our lifts, did not meet your satisfaction. In the future, please let us know and we would be happy to tour our space with you as well as help in the lift. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Acura car service as well as our convenient location to the Convention Center. Thank you again for your feedback, we hope to see you back again soon.

Warm Regards,
Drew McQuade
Creston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I checked out of the W Austin Hotel this morning and we wanted to let you all know what a wonderful experience we had staying there.
First off, all of the staff are intuitively attentive and I would like to express a special thank you to our waiter Mike for a lovely dining experience last night.
We had a hip fun corner room with views that helped us scope out where we wanted to visit from up above. It led us to a historical neighbourhood, so the location was great.
We walked everywhere. We walked to the Capital Buildings, checked out 6th Street, strolled up and down Congress Avenue and enjoyed walking through the parks on Lady Bird Lake while watching the locals interact with each other and their dogs. The locals were all very friendly and we even received some great tips on where to eat and routes to take. Check out Lamberts Restaurant a block away with its cultural dishes, fun atmosphere and great service.
I was suspicious of not seeing any street people or panhandlers downtown (I wonder why?). It is apparent that the locals love their “weird” city. We Canadians relate well to their liberal culture (or at least us British Columbians).
Oh, I also want to mention how exciting it was to be in a hotel that didn’t feel like a hotel but a funky cool (sorry- baby boomer language) upbeat club. I would love to get a copy of the music that played throughout the common spaces including the uniquely decorated living rooms equipped with fireplaces. There was so much to explore in this one hotel that we didn’t get to it all in our two night stay.
I highly recommend staying at the W Austin Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to W Austin? Share your experiences!