“Fantastic. Loved it and Coming back soon!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Coppell, Texas
“Fantastic. Loved it and Coming back soon!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here in April and had a fantastic time. The location is perfect if you ask me being easily accessible to both 6th Street and a run around Lady Bird Lake. I essentially live in a Westin during the week for work and we've been able to stay at W's and Le Meredian's on my Starwood points just about everywhere (San Francisco, NYC, Washington DC, London, Munich, etc) and the W Austin is literally my girlfriend's favorite hotel in the world. I may be partial to the San Francisco St Regis but if nothing else the W Austin is 2!

The only unfortunate part of our stay was that the pool was closed so we didn't get to experience that and we weren't able to get a view of the lake. That being said we were offered points upon check-in for the inconvenience. We've been looking forward to THIS weekend's return visit for months. I can see this hotel becoming our regular for visits to Austin and doubling as my compromise to my girlfriend (an Oklahoma grad) for having to attend so many Texas football games!

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Houston TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Wow, what a modern, sexy and current lifestyle hotel. From the hotel lobby, the bar living room, and onto the hotel rooms this is my newest favorite hotel. Just beautiful modern sex Appeal.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Lovely hotel in good location in Austin.A few minutes walk from ladybird lake and 6th street.nice rooms with marble bathrooms and very comfortable beds.Amazing public DJ Room stacked with hundreds of vinyl records other public areas of the bar are open plan and have open flame effect fires really cozy.Pool area is lovely with cabanas to rent and free sunbeds and towels.Bar service around the pool and lots of seating with comfy sofas and chairs to relax away from the pool.Hotel is mainly used for buisnessmen in the week and couples at weekends.Free morning coffee and newspapers in the lounge bar daily.Highly recomended.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view although they do charge a premium
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at a lot of Ws as we are spg platinum members. Stayed here 1 night out of 2 in Austin for a family wedding (second night north of the city closer to wedding). Received an email a few days before our stay from the management saying that due to some problem the pool wouldn't be open during our stay and offering alternate pool accomodations as well as a discount on our room rate and services. Since we weren't there for the pool, this wasn't a big deal and the compensation was acceptable, our room ended up being a crazy good deal, something like $69, we spent more at the hotel bar on drinks! The downstairs bars were really fun on a Friday night with a good atmosphere. The hotel was the perfect location for a night of pre-wedding bar hopping downtown Austin, all of the bars are literally around the corner. We found the service to be good, all around a nice stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Thank you for your response, we appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. I'm glad to hear that you had an enjoyable experience, and our sincerest thanks for your understanding of our WET closure. We look forward to seeing you back at the W Austin again soon.

Warm Regards,
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

The design of this property is definitely fashion-forward; however, it is not practical. For example, the room was trendy in design, but was impractical from a usability standpoint.

The closet was so small that it would not close completely when I hung my suit bag in there. If I were traveling with a companion, the closet would have been -totally- inadequate.

The bathroom sink and vanity area were also lacking in usability. the sink was only about one inch deep, so it was not possible to fill it for shaving. The minimal depth practically guaranteed that any use of the sink would see water splashed onto the area surrounding the sink. Perhaps I should not care about this in a hotel since I don't have to clean it, but it made for messy conditions when using the sink. In addition, the vanity area around the sink was so small and had a gap between the vanity and the surrounding walls. This resulted in items being knocked off of the vanity and onto the floor every time I had to use the sink area -- very annoying.

The restaurant was nice and the staff was very attentive and knowledgeable. The food was good, but the presentation was on the pretentious side and the portions were small relative to the price paid.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Walnut Creek, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

OK -- this is going to be a bit of an uncharachteristic review, but I feel like it's an important one to write. I'd planned to stay here over 4th of July weekend for a girls trip. This was a college reunion trip I'd been planning with my girlfriends since we'd graduated eight years ago. We went back and forth and finally (after much deliberation) decided that the W would be perfect for our super fun trip.

AND THEN, the hotel had to shut down completely during our stay. It was due to a safety issue (window panels had fallen) and really couldn't be avoided on their part. It actually shut down the day before we flew to Austin. The hotel did make reservations for us at another hotel, but it happened to be a hotel I had NO interest in visiting. So, I called the W and asked to be put into the Four Seasons, which was our second choice we;d been considering.

I expected the worst. I figured that we weren't going to get the hotel we wanted, were going to end up staying in some crappy 3rd rate hotel in a bad location with an overcrowded pool. And that the trip would be ruined. INSTEAD, I ended up speaking with Sarita Noyola, who was absolutely, positively incredible, and took care of us in every way possible. On what had to be a horrible work days (they had to relocated over 300 guests) she was professional, acommodating, and didn't even make me give a speech about how important the trip was, sob story to get what we wanted. She just made it happen the second I asked for it, and that's really what we expected given the extreme situation happening the night before our trip. It's what any decent luxury hotel would do, and the W (Sarita) did not disappoint.

She got us into the Four Seasons, which was our second choice. The Four Seasons was out of double bed rooms (which we needed) so she got us two adjoining king bed rooms. For the price of one room. At a discounted rate. And threw in a free night. OMG I said. The girls trip had been SAVED!

I just can't say enough about how well Sarita handled this -- there are SO many ways in this situation that I could have been left never wanting to stay at a W hotel ever, ever again....and I was actually shocked to find myself happy with my experience and eager to stay at a W again. Sarita saved this hotel a customer! I definitely trust that I will find good customer service should I ever choose to stay at a W hotel again in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our service handling during our closure. I'm glad to hear that Sarita was able to help your group-- we look forward to having your future girls' weekends at the W Austin!

Warm Regards,
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

From the moment I arrived with my brothers and friend it was a great experience. The staff greet you at the door and everything is beautiful, clean, and posh. I felt like I was in Miami, Florida because of the way the hotel was setup and decorated. The room was large enough for 4 of us to be moving around in. The room was decorated contemporary and also felt very comfortable and cozy. They were also very clean and smelt amazing walking in. I knew I would be getting a good nights sleep because the beds were so comfortable. While we were getting ready to go out we were able to hook up our iphone to a docking station they had and play our music. Initially the docking station was not working, my brother called down to let them know in within 5 minutes someone was in the room switching out the docking station for a new one. We had a great view of the river and city. The pool was very posh though It was a typical hot summer day so it was packed and on the small side. They provided oversized, soft, white towels to use and staff walked around to see if you needed anything fairly frequently and conveniently. At night we were able to adjust the lighting in the room and around the bed frames which was blue lighting, I thought it was different and cool. The only thing I would change would be that the bathroom was open with a clear glass door so it made it hard to shower with friends and my brothers there. I had to make them wait down at the pool while I showered then they took turns and we had to wait on the bedroom side while someone showered just to protect their privacy. On the first level they also have a great bar/club like area with several rooms to lounge and have cocktails/beers. It was a saturday night and had a dj after 9pm mixing up some good music. Overall this was the best hotel experience and I will definitely be back again

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Thank you for your review. I'm thrilled to hear that you and your brothers and friends had a nice stay. We look forward to seeing you back in Austin again soon!

Regards,
Drew McQuade

Been to W Austin? Share your experiences!