“I've wanted to stay at Barton Creek since the early 90's & in 2010 I finally got to.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa

You added Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   8212 Barton Club Drive, Austin, TX 78735   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #62 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Dallas TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

This was my first stay at Barton Creek resort. It was more beautiful than the pictures. I arrived late on my first night's stay & it was raining. Checkin was so quick & prompt, but I was the only one in line. Upon entering my room, I noticed that it was very cold inside & I just thought that the heat wasn't turned on. I walked over to my balcony & noticed that the door was standing open. I called the front desk to voice my concern & they sent up an attendant & a manager. I didn't want to stay in this particular for security reasons & within 15 minutes the staff had moved me to another room. The rooms are absolutely gorgeous - interior design, furniture, etc. are so beyond comparision to any other hotel; not to mention all the live deer that are standing on both sides of the little lane that goes up to the hotel (I love animals).

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

loved it. chilled out. spent 3 days shacked up here mini-golfing and swimming with my 5 year old. very family oriented. would have stayed longer but booked up. old, grandish hotel, great staff. could lose a week here without too much trouble. gym facilities first rate.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

We spent one night there for a couples get away. We were checking it out for a possible family reunion. I really wanted to check out their kids' club. If we had paid the regular rate I would have been disappointed. As we got a very nice deal (off season special through resort's website) I feel it was still a good value. The room was lovely, spacious and clean. Comfy bed, nice TV. Fitness center a bit cramped but adequate for our needs and the complimentary fruit, water, tea and coffee were a nice touch. I called the spa to schedule a massage and got a voicemail on Saturday afternoon. I didn't hear back til the following morning around 10:30 when we has already made our plans for the day. I stopped by to get a glass of water in the lobby to take an Aleve after my back was hurting. The water pitcher was full of icy cucumber water but there weren't any cups. I asked at the registration desk and was told "Oh, I don't have any cups but you can check in the drawers where the water is" and I found that a little surprising. The Dining Room (their upscale dining room) had a nice prix fixe special, nice wine list and great staff. The food was nice but not amazing (again, for the "regular" price I would have been disappointed). The kids club is a small space with lots of toddler-sized toys but I didn't see much my 4 year old would be interested in. The women staffing it were very warm, friendly, and attentive to the two babies they had in there when we stopped by. My husband noted a few video cameras in there (in other words, the caretakers are monitored). We didn't golf or play tennis (too cold) while we were there but the courts were lit and looked nice.

Mobile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

Our trip was a medical necessity. The pastoral setting eased recovery. The compliment of associates - greeters (valets), registers, concierge, Barton Grille tenders, housekeepers- very attentive. The grounds were beautiful; we enjoyed the outdoor fire pit the greeters kept. Our room was clean, spacious, quiet, and very comfortable. We found BCR to be a very good value. Be sure to study the Austin highway maps when entering Austin; can be a bit confusing at night!!

Broken Arrow, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

I was at a customers location in Round Rock, TX all week and my wife flew down from Tulsa on Saturday and we checked into Barton Creek Resort. I planned to stay there because our golf group is planning an outing in April, so I thought I'd check it out.

WOW! What a place!! From the greeting at the door until we left, we were addressed by name. We sampled all of the lounges and had dinner in the Hill Country Dining Room (we had the dinner for 2). Great meal and even better service.

I didn't play golf this time, but as soon a I got home on Monday, I called my buddies and reservations were made.

Looking forward to going back and playing golf this time.

Bill

Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

My husband had raved about Barton Creek since his first stay there in 2000 and 2001 for the same conference I attended this January 2010. I can honestly say that Barton Creek far exceeded my expectations in every area. From the friendliness of staff, to the cleanliness of the entire facility, to the incredible food displays prepared for our conference of 150 plus attendees.The fitness center is far superior to any I've been to before while staying in a hotel (Ritz-Carlton, Hilton, Sheraton, Marriott). I 'm so looking forward to my return next January 2011.

TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

Just finished a 2 night stay at Barton Creek Resort and Spa. Had received a 3 night resort/spa package as a gift, and was told that if we only wanted to stay 2 nights, I could apply the balance of the package for additional services, gifts, etc...The package was to include 3 nights, 3 spa treatments each for myself and my husband, 3 dinners, 3 breakfasts. We dropped the 3rd night (but kept all spa treatments) and ended up paying $530 at the end of it all. Fine...because we dropped down to 2 nights so would only be entitled to 2 treatments each...ok...so the last treatments were a la carte. Guess what...even without the additional treatments, all the fees (resort fees are an abomination - just charge a higher room rate and stop swindling people) and gratuities would still have had us paying (or just breaking even). What happened to "applying the balance of the package for additional services?" The fact is, the person buying us the gift intended to pay for our entire stay. She was not told upon booking that her package did not include taxes, resort fees, and gratuities for spa treatments. She would have paid for those, had she known. It's incredibly irresponsible of the resort to not explain the additional fees to someone trying to book a gift package.

But on to the resort itself...the room was one of their nicer...a scenic view balcony guestroom. It was fine. Not fantastic - just fine. Clean enough, reasonably spacious...sparse furniture, sparse everything. We had a view, but then, what is there to look at? The residential neighborhood surrounding the hotel. Not exactly a natural oasis in Hill Country. The resort is literally smack dab in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Also, the balcony...not even big enough for the tiniest of chairs...I guess it's there just to stand on? What's the point? Nothing at all wrong with the place...but then, in no way nicer a room than the Hilton in downtown Austin. Which is significantly less expensive. The bathroom was spacious enough, but the tub was tiny and shallow, and it smelled musty. Problem solved by just pulling the curtain back and letting it air out, but then, I shouldn't have to do that in a place like this, should I? Couple of mildewy areas on tiles, some small carpet stains...nothing that would be considered a deal breaker, but jeez...

The spa/fitness area. The fitness area was great. Lots of machines, a pool, a running track. The fitness area shared a locker room with the spa. Not exactly unheard of in a resort, but the spa waiting area, which is supposed to be a relaxing place, was immediately next to the busy changing area, so I was listening to blowdriers and loud talking while I was awaiting treatments. Better than the men's spa waiting area, which is not even in the locker room, but out in the lobby area near the gym. The wet area (sauna, steam room, jacuzzi) was adequate, but quite institutional. As a wet area for a fitness area, it's excellent. As a relaxing area for a spa, it was somewhat depressing. And the steam room had a musty/sweaty smell to it (would a little eucalyptus be so hard?). The spa treatment rooms were small and sparse, but my therapists (and my husband's) were all very nice, and seemed adequate enough. Again, though, the prices being charged and the levels of service just didn't match up.

Now for a spa resort, you'd expect water to be available to you pretty much anywhere. But once you left the immediate gym/spa area, water is nowhere to be found. And the small bottles in the room are $9 a pop. A hotel charging for bottled water is not necessarily unusual, but this place bills itself as a spa resort. I'm supposed to be guzzling water after spa treatments, and yet, it's not terribly easy to do here. Requests for water in the dining areas often went unheard (yes, I want both juice AND water...not just one). Also, you'd hope a spa resort had some light and healthy dining options, but everything (even the salads) in the restaurants seemed to be very heavy and rich. Healthier options available at breakfast, though.

Ultimately, there's nothing really wrong with this place, it's just that for the prices charged, and the fees, it's just not keeping up its end of the bargain. I'm happy to pay top dollar for top quality, but this wasn't top quality. As a point of reference, the price paid for three 50 minute spa treatments here was equal to the amount spent last year for two 50 minute and one 80 minute treatment (plus spa lunch) at the Lake Austin Spa Resort. That place is beautiful, feels isolated, gorgeous grounds, immaculate facilities, etc...I had no qualms whatsoever paying that price for that experience. I had a large problem with it at the Barton Creek Resort and Spa.

This is a nitpicky review, but I feel entitled to nitpick, because I simply don't think this place is worth the money.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!