“Amazing Resort and Spa in Austin, TX” 5 of 5 stars

Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   8212 Barton Club Drive, Austin, TX 78735   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #63 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing Resort and Spa in Austin, TX”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

I live in Dallas and was looking for a luxury resort and spa close to home for about 10 days. My wife and I often go to Maui but the time and expense this August eliminated that option. American Express booked us into the Barton Creek Resort and Spa and we were overwhelmed with the personal service. There are two of the best golf courses in Texas and a fantastic spa with in indoor lap pool, a gym with all of the latest equipment and great "wet" area for men and women that included the ususal steam room, sauna and jacuzzi with all of the toiletry amenities.

Much to my amazement, the two resort managers roamed the hallways, bars, restaurants and the spa and engaged you in conversation coaxing your opinions on the resort and the staff without telling you who they were until much later.

My wife and I spent ten days around the pool on the lounges and were served continually from the pool cabana.

This is a great place with excellent service.

• Liked — Lots of services
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

We recently returned home from our first, and probably last, stay at Barton Creek Resort. The property is lovely, the golf courses are beautiful, and the vistas are breathtaking--however--the service and hospitality were sorely lacking. As a sister resort to La Costa, I had much higher hopes.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

Stayed here on a business trip; fortunately I checked Tripadvisor and knew to ask for a remodeled room. I thought the staff was superb. I arrived near midnight and the front desk was willing to have the gift ship opened up for me so that I could buy some necessities. I passed on the offer, but I was impressed nonetheless. The front desk also had plenty TSA banned toiletries available that they handed out no charge.

The room was nice. The bed was firm but comfortable. The room was large with a high ceiling. The TV was a large flat panel, but the cable was all analog. I would recommend that parents set the parental controls on the TV immediately, some things on there you just don't want to see when your flipping channels even if the kids aren't with you. Unfortunately, the hotel channel seems to mention 'special adult movies' every few seconds.

The late night dinning shuts down a bit earlier than I would have expected. The room service runs till around midnight. Since I got in very late I ordered the room service, specifically a BBQ Brisket wrap. It should have been called a cold Brisket Salad wrap; not quite what I was expecting. The fries that came with it were hot. Room service delivered the meal very quickly.

Dinner the next day, I ate in the fine dinning area. Since the hotel does have some remodeling going on the fine dinning was also seating causally dressed people as well. The dinner was outstanding. I don't like mushrooms, nonetheless I ordered the Chorizo Cornbread Stuffed Mushrooms pickled red cabbage, and roasted poblano cream starter. A fantastic starter! even if you don't like mushrooms. For the main meal I went with the Charbroiled Star Ranch Filet Mignon white cheddar-andouille grits, sweet corn succotash, tobacco onion rings, bourbon sauce, done medium well.

Hats off to the chef, the steak was done to my specification and made for a wonderful meal. The only part of the meal that was not up to snuff were the dinner rolls. They were 'fancy' but did not deliver the goods the way a roll should. Service was also top notch. It was a bit surprising to see that they did gratuities eurotrash style, ie included in the price. Unlike many places that automatically include gratuities, they did NOT include a tip line on the receipt. For that alone they get kudos. Still I prefer American style tipping, the server would have gotten a better tip if the amount would have been left up to me.

In other areas, the hotel did make an effort to be family friendly. They set aside a large meeting room full of board games and such for kids. They also had a small playground area. That said, from what I saw of these aspects, they were an after thought to the hotel's overall design.

The layout of the building is sort of rambling, and you see people who just checked in often wandering around a bit, but the routes are well marked. The hotel hallways have been redone with the wheel chair bound in mind, but some of the stairs converted to ramps are steep enough that I bet they would be tricky. Parking at the hotel can be a bit tricky too, I think it is wise to use the valet service.

Overall, the hotel gets very high marks from me. It's supposedly 4 star, but the service is pushing 5 stars. If there was one negative it has to be the bottled water in the room's minibar.
The hotel uses its own hotel branded bottled water and a bottle of this stuff will run $5.90 out of the minibar. One expects to pay top dollar out of the minibar, but the products should be top shelf too. It just smacked of a high margin rip and seemed out of place in an other wise very nice hotel.

• Liked — service, food, location, room
  • Disliked — $5.90 hotel brand bottled water in the minibar, should have stock a topshelf brand
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
mckinney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

Have stayed at Barton Creek in the Spring at Thanksgiving and this summer. All season give a different view of the hill country, the deer and other wildlife are great. The staff work hard to make your stay pleasant even when you have requests...something you don't find at all resorts..The Thanksgiving dinner is a real treat especially the deserts...The renovations made and being made to update are wonderful showing concern and care for the guests and facility by the staff..The Spa is fab..Well, the golf courses-enough said, all the men in my family forgot they had wives and kids...for a day..a week if we had let them at Thanksgiving...A wonderful place to have family for Thanksgiving without the fuss...a wonderful place for a quiet couple's weekend. The professional staff work to help make a great time happen...

Stayed August 2008
McKinney Tx.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

Just returned from Barton Resort. If you stay there, make sure you are given a re-furbished room which is wonderful. The hotel was nice and clean. The rooms were nicely furnished with wonderful beds. We had a balcony but no chairs on the balcony.Had a hot tub, lap pool and regular pool. Had all the other emenities you find in any nice hotel. I would not recommend the Hill Country Restaurant. The food was nothing special. It certainly wasn't four star food by any means. There was a small pub where you could order food but the Grill had been closed for rentavations. The resort is too far away from other restaurants, so you give in and eat at the resort which was very expensive. Three hamburgers, two beers and one coke was $100.00. The restaurant does not open for dinner until 6 pm. So you are limited to a small menu. The golf courses were well kept. We played at the Fazio Canyons and the Grenshaw courses. Fazio had beautiful views. This resort is in the hill country and all the views were great. There was a nature trail and a putting golf course. I doubt that I would return to Barton Creek resort since there are so many wonderful hotels to choose from in Austin. Barton Creek Resort did not show me a 4 star resort.

• Liked — The golf courses.
  • Disliked — Too far from town and tourist activities
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

My husband and I got married in the clubhouse at Barton Creek, and it was wonderful! We wanted a very small wedding and reception in the same location, and our coordinator chose a nice size room with a great wrap around porch and a view of the Hill Country.

Trying to plan a wedding yourself is definitely stressful and time consuming, but our cooridinator did a wonderful job keeping me aware of the timeline and organizing my tasks for me. It was a huge help to have someone walk you through the whole process so that you don't forget a single detail. On the day of the wedding, I was the most calm that I had been in over 3 months. I knew that the crew at Barton Creek would take care of all of the set up and that it would look beautiful. I had 100% confidence that all would turn out right, and it did.

The reception was fantastic as well. We had a sit down dinner with several courses, and we all agreed that the food quality was phenomenal. Our filets were cooked perfectly with tons of flavor and the wedding cake was to die for...not to mention absolutely beautiful. I just gave them a picture and the cake turned out exactly like we had wanted.

Overall, I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day filled with family and friends. As we rode away on the complimentary golf cart back to the hotel, I was so glad that I chose to have our most special day take place at Barton Creek Resort and Spa.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
houston, texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

I had my wedding at Barton Creek Resort & Spa on May 31, 2008. My ceremony was held in the Pavilion and the reception in the Barton Creek room, and both locations couldn't have been more perfect. My Barton Creek coordinator, Jennifer Dilworth, was great to work with and also did a great job working with my wedding coordinator (Gina Whittington Wilson of Clink Weddings - amazing coordinator if you need one) and all of the vendors. All of my guests were impressed with the food as well. The rooms at the resort are beautiful - just make sure to ask for a renovated room. I think all of the rooms will be renovated soon, but the rooms that have not been renovated definitely look like they are in need of improvement. I highly recommend Barton Creek Resort as a wedding venue!

• Stayed May 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!