“For the Money You Would Expect First Class Service” 3 of 5 stars

Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   8212 Barton Club Drive, Austin, TX 78735   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #63 of 184 hotels in Austin
Pittsburgh
“For the Money You Would Expect First Class Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I was in town on business and the company put me in this resort as it was close to the meetings. There were a number of positives, but also a few negatives.

Positives
Friendly front desk personnel and quick service
Big room and bathroom. Both were very clean.
Friendly and helpful woman in the hotel convenience store. It was open before 7:00am which meant I could get my coffee.

Negatives
From the moment you pull into the resort, you feel like they are after your money. $25 for valet and the self-park garage is a five minutes walk away. The valet parking area had numerous spaces open, but you were not allowed to park there.

Thought about having lunch at the resort, but they wanted $17 for a sandwich.

The free internet was very slow. For full speed internet, it was $15. I know all the top hotels charge for internet, but if the Hampton Inns and Comfort Inns can provide it free, why not the top hotels. Pet peeve of mine.

I entered and left the hotel a number of time over the two days I spent there. (Had to eat elsewhere due to the cost of the hotel restaurants). On the first day, the valets and bell hops were all gathered around the front door basically ignoring the guests. No greeting, no offer of help with the bags, did not even open the door. The second day it was much better.

Overall, this hotel was nice. I am sure at one time it was considered a luxury resort. It is beginning to look a little dated. If you are going to charge the prices they do, the service and amenities should be first rate and it was not during my stay. The hotel should treat the customers as people they want to return, not cash machines.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for your gracious feedback on all aspects of your recent visit to the resort. We appreciated the feedback on the areas that were enjoyed along with the items noted for improvement. I personally apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and would like to invite you to contact me directly at james.walsh@omnihotels.com to discuss further.

810 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The green is what stands out to me during our stay. Its a very green friendly place with the calmness that you would need in order to feel re-energized with great vibes from nature. The service and the staff is very supportive and will help you find local events going on in Austin, like live music, or perhaps a sunday funday venue with a great vibe to balance the weekend! Will come back!

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us! We're pleased to hear you enjoyed our resort amenities and excellent service by our team members. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have visited the Barton Creek Resort for 3 separate events over the past few years and I have enjoyed the experience each time. The event space has lower ceilings than I am used to, but still a standard height. The foyer outside of the presentation/conference rooms is gorgeous. It has plenty of windows which feels the area with natural light and a view overlooking a perfectly groomed golf course.

The rooms are nice, spacious, clean, up-to-date. The hotel staff is always helpful. On this past trip the concierge, Adam, was over-to-top helpful--kudos to him.

They also have a couple of outdoor or at least open air spaces that can be used for evening receptions which provides a welcome change of scenery. If you are looking to leave the property, we found that cabs the city center were about 80+ RT.

I would definitely recommend this resort for events. However, if I was on holiday in Austin I would prefer to stay closer to the city center.

Room Tip: I would request a room with a balcony and a view of the pool/golf course. My last visit I had a corn...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I went there for a few days and here are our observations. The resort is huge! The location is amazing! The service is hovering, on the verge of annoying. You must valet park for $25 a day or park about 3 blocks away. The room was large (we were not in the towers, which I understand is better) but the bathroom is tiny. No place to put anything and the shower grout was degrading.

We had good service at the bar and good service at the spa, (I had a massage). However, even with the "Do No Disturb" sign on our room, the staff kept coming in the room. The first time, I was in the shower and when I came out of the bathroom, staff had left extra toilet paper on the floor right outside the bathroom. Yes, I was freaked out. The next night they came in again and left a book on the bed from the group we were with. This should have been left at the front desk.

We called the front desk and the manager offered to move us to another room. Not sure how that would have helped if the same staff were going to ignore the wishes of the guests. We were very upset and we left the hotel early and cut our weekend short. I sincerely hope that not all the Omni's are like but I will likely avoid booking at another Omni Resort.

Room Tip: I understand that the towers have better rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband took me to Barton Creek for my birthday. They put us in a bed with 2 queens and I called and requested a king. They moved us down a floor with a view of the parking lot but the rooms are nice . The decor is same as it was when I first stayed there over 12 years ago.
The restaurant food was okay, but service not up to par. Our waiter was not very knowledgeable about the menu and timing of bringing food out was off and there were only 2 of us the wine we ordered didn't come until half way through our meal . When we checked out they had charged us for the "upgrade" to a king, but only told us after the fact.
The front desk personnel was not miter tested in helping us in any way, she just told us to call the manager. The manager took 3 days to get back to us.
Upon filling out the survey we were contacted by management and to their defense , they refunded the upgrade charge and gave us a free stay. Not sure I ll he interested in going back any time soon. It's not whatnot used to be

• Stayed September 2013
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I travel to Austin several times per year, and I'm usually looking for something clean and convenient but nothing fancy. For this trip, my daughters and I wanted a fun over-night hotel with a great pool. We are not golfers, and as another reviewer stated, this is probably a much better place for those who want to golf.

The word "resort" changes the expectation of a hotel - will it be too pricey? Will I get great service? Will they gouge me at every turn? Barton Creek was some of each.

Upon arrival, several valets were available, but we parked, exited the car, completely unloaded the trunk (3 suitcases and multiple bags) and walked into the hotel without one offer of assistance. Seriously? Check in was smooth and everything was in order with our reservation, but I admit I was annoyed by the reception in the valet area. I often find self-parking to be more convenient; this resort has located self-park about as far from the hotel as possible, so in typical hot Austin, it would not be much fun to walk back and forth.

We headed straight for the pool (this resort is VERY accommodating to guests arriving before check in, allowing complete access to all spa, workout, changing and pool facilities!). The pool access is a bit odd (the pool is certainly not a centerpiece of the hotel), requiring winding through many corridors and walking down a long flight of stairs (not sure how a stroller or wheelchair would access it). It was quite busy but had plenty of lounge chairs and towels. We saw several servers walking around, but none offered us drinks or a menu. (Starting to feel invisible!)

The room was very nice, lovely linens, and the beds were very comfortable. We called about a dvd player - they were available for a one time fee of $25. Hmmm, felt like gouging after we were already greeted with a 12% daily resort fee. If you are relying on free wifi, get ready for slow. The bathroom was OK, but the grout was NOT CLEAN. I do not expect black mold in the shower of a resort of this caliber. Period. No excuses, it was not old, just not clean.

Sunday morning, we ate breakfast in the Hill Country Dining Room - excellent buffet breakfast, beautiful dining area. Really very nice. And that afternoon at the pool, we had a server walk by every 15 minutes and check on us for food and drinks. Not sure what was happening Saturday (other than busier), but Sunday was a different story.

This property has some great aspects but for the price + resort fee, next time I'll probably try somewhere else. (A moldy shower is a deal killer every time!)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
manhattan beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We went to Barton Creek with a group of 12 golfers. The idea was to fly in Friday. Play Friday, Sat and home SUnday. If there hadn't been a wedding there then I would have been board out of my mind!

First, the weather did not cooperate and the staff in the hotel club house didn't seem to have a care in the world. With a rainout we tried to organize 36 on Sat but were met with serious push back probably because we were on an unlimited golf package. I noticed a few groups after us were able to move their tee times up. (Note, we stated that we didnt need 3 foursomes together)

Speaking of which, The unlimited golf package is a joke: You can play unlimited golf but they want to charge you a $50 cart fee. I wouldn't pay $50 total to play this course at twilight. We had to argue with the proshop for 30 minutes and 3 phone calls and eventually produce a letter we received at check in, to get it waived. The course proshop gets props for eventually doing the right thing!

Now lets talk about disorganization: CHECK YOUR BILL. We paid a $5000 deposit that went missing. 6 days after we checked out we still do not have the bills resolved. I had half my roommates charges on my bill among other things. Hopefully this gets fixed.....If I was the GM of this hotel I would have reached out to each and every guest and apologized for the chaos.

BTW, when does service charge get included in everything? 18% if I order a hot dog at the turn?

Things that make this place worth a visit if your in the area:
Bar tenders and waiters know their stuff and work hard.
The accounting department has been very responsive and is trying to fix all the mistakes.
Cart girl was a star.

Things that need help: Mini golf course is week but FREE! Golf Course is in average shape.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!