I travel to Austin several times per year, and I'm usually looking for something clean and convenient but nothing fancy. For this trip, my daughters and I wanted a fun over-night hotel with a great pool. We are not golfers, and as another reviewer stated, this is probably a much better place for those who want to golf.
The word "resort" changes the expectation of a hotel - will it be too pricey? Will I get great service? Will they gouge me at every turn? Barton Creek was some of each.
Upon arrival, several valets were available, but we parked, exited the car, completely unloaded the trunk (3 suitcases and multiple bags) and walked into the hotel without one offer of assistance. Seriously? Check in was smooth and everything was in order with our reservation, but I admit I was annoyed by the reception in the valet area. I often find self-parking to be more convenient; this resort has located self-park about as far from the hotel as possible, so in typical hot Austin, it would not be much fun to walk back and forth.
We headed straight for the pool (this resort is VERY accommodating to guests arriving before check in, allowing complete access to all spa, workout, changing and pool facilities!). The pool access is a bit odd (the pool is certainly not a centerpiece of the hotel), requiring winding through many corridors and walking down a long flight of stairs (not sure how a stroller or wheelchair would access it). It was quite busy but had plenty of lounge chairs and towels. We saw several servers walking around, but none offered us drinks or a menu. (Starting to feel invisible!)
The room was very nice, lovely linens, and the beds were very comfortable. We called about a dvd player - they were available for a one time fee of $25. Hmmm, felt like gouging after we were already greeted with a 12% daily resort fee. If you are relying on free wifi, get ready for slow. The bathroom was OK, but the grout was NOT CLEAN. I do not expect black mold in the shower of a resort of this caliber. Period. No excuses, it was not old, just not clean.
Sunday morning, we ate breakfast in the Hill Country Dining Room - excellent buffet breakfast, beautiful dining area. Really very nice. And that afternoon at the pool, we had a server walk by every 15 minutes and check on us for food and drinks. Not sure what was happening Saturday (other than busier), but Sunday was a different story.
This property has some great aspects but for the price + resort fee, next time I'll probably try somewhere else. (A moldy shower is a deal killer every time!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Like the stunning Hill Country that embraces our luxury resort hotel, Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa is revered for its distinctive blend of peaceful beauty and gracious warmth. From the very moment you arrive, the natural ambiance of the landscape and our welcoming staff will invite you to unwind and immerse yourself in a unique collection of desirable amenities.Framed within 4,000 secluded acres of rolling hills of Austin, Texas, you’ll be pleased to discover our full-service Three Springs Spa, four spectacular championship golf courses, award-winning conference and meeting facilities, four extraordinary dining options, numerous recreational activities and so much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Tingo, Amex, BookIt.com, HotelsClick, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barton Creek Resort And Spa
- Barton Creek Hotel Austin
- Barton Creek Resort Club