“Bait and Switch” 2 of 5 stars

Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   8212 Barton Club Drive, Austin, TX 78735   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #61 of 185 Hotels in Austin
manhattan beach
“Bait and Switch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We went to Barton Creek with a group of 12 golfers. The idea was to fly in Friday. Play Friday, Sat and home SUnday. If there hadn't been a wedding there then I would have been board out of my mind!

First, the weather did not cooperate and the staff in the hotel club house didn't seem to have a care in the world. With a rainout we tried to organize 36 on Sat but were met with serious push back probably because we were on an unlimited golf package. I noticed a few groups after us were able to move their tee times up. (Note, we stated that we didnt need 3 foursomes together)

Speaking of which, The unlimited golf package is a joke: You can play unlimited golf but they want to charge you a $50 cart fee. I wouldn't pay $50 total to play this course at twilight. We had to argue with the proshop for 30 minutes and 3 phone calls and eventually produce a letter we received at check in, to get it waived. The course proshop gets props for eventually doing the right thing!

Now lets talk about disorganization: CHECK YOUR BILL. We paid a $5000 deposit that went missing. 6 days after we checked out we still do not have the bills resolved. I had half my roommates charges on my bill among other things. Hopefully this gets fixed.....If I was the GM of this hotel I would have reached out to each and every guest and apologized for the chaos.

BTW, when does service charge get included in everything? 18% if I order a hot dog at the turn?

Things that make this place worth a visit if your in the area:
Bar tenders and waiters know their stuff and work hard.
The accounting department has been very responsive and is trying to fix all the mistakes.
Cart girl was a star.

Things that need help: Mini golf course is week but FREE! Golf Course is in average shape.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for your gracious feedback on all aspects of your recent visit to the resort. We appreciated the feedback on the areas that were enjoyed along with the items noted for improvement. I personally apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and would like to invite you to contact me directly at james.walsh@omnihotels.com to discuss further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel is in a lovely setting but needs to have some touch up! Great breakfast buffet! It had rained the night before so it was a lovely morning, would have been nice to sit outside but the patio furniture was wet. The management did not have the foresight to bring the cushions in - so they were soaked!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for your gracious feedback on all aspects of your recent visit to the resort. We appreciated the feedback on the areas that were enjoyed along with the items noted for improvement. We hope to see you again soon!
San Antonio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The hotel is in a great area. All the outdoor facilities are top notch. Tennis, golf, miniature golf, hiking trails, indoor and outdoor pools, spa. You can walk forever on the golf cart paths. The views are amazing. The rooms are very large. All staff are competent and friendly. I was concerned after reading some of the negative reviews on trip advisor so I wanted to write one. The only issue with the hotel is the furnishings and finishes are a little worn. It needs to be redone. They have tried to upgrade the beds with decent toppers and I (and my bad back) thought they were comfortable enough. I would stay here again and hope that now that Omni has taken over ownership they will be upgrading and redoing the inside soon.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us! We're pleased to hear you enjoyed our resort amenities and excellent service by our team members. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Amazing views from room of the Austin hills. Great service, fantastic golf, good food, attentive staff, but chincy on the wifi (512K as part of 12% resort fee and a $14.95 daily charge to get 2MB). Proxomity to downtaown Austin a real plus. Golf course access and quality is top-notch. Overall resort, considering you are within 15 minutes of downtown, makes it a special experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience at Omni Barton Creek. We're pleased to hear you enjoyed our meeting facilities and excellent service by our team members. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have mixed feelings about our stay here. There are many things to recommend Barton Creek (recently acquired by Omni), while at the same time it is in need of some refurbishment and improvement. It is probably best to stay here if you want to play golf (beautifully maintained), experience the spa, or want something more quiet than downtown Austin. Do not stay here if you expect a more lively, centrally located place.
The grounds are huge with the facility and amenities quite spread out. You need to allow time to walk to the main lobby area from most rooms and then additional time to get to the self park area which is a rather dark walk at night. While we were there not all of the elevators were properly working (with one being repaired the entire 3 days), and this added to the time to get from our room to other places. Parking is expensive, especially given the self park location; and one really needs a car when staying here, if you want to explore the surrounding area, dine elsewhere, or drive to Lake Travis. The spa location is a bit of a trek from the lobby area and is a bit confusing being located on several levels needing to register and pay in the spa shop instead of in the actual therapy space.
Our room was comfortable tho in need of an update. You'll need to pay more if you want a decent view, as our standard room overlooked another building and driveway area. TV selection could be expanded. The room was clean and quiet.
One of the best deals was the buffet breakfast with its quality of food and numerous choices! We couldn't believe the bounty for $10 that was added to our room rate. I also recommend the spa services as the therapists were top notch. We had fun playing miniature golf with putting green.
Staff for the most part was helpful and personable. The dining room personnel were extremely pleasant and attentive. We did have difficulty with the clock radio for which we had called for assistance. The property engineer was supposed to swap it out the next day but did not.

Room Tip: Check with the registration staff as some rooms have been refurbished. If you have any special needs...
Katy, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Barton Creek is a beautiful resort and the grounds and facilities are amazing. Tucked into the scenic countryside in the Austin area. I was there for three days for a business meeting. The food was good but on par for convention food, nothing special. The meeting rooms and common areas were very nice. The resort is somewhat confusing to get around but fortunately the hotel staff was more than accommodating when asked for directions!
I only gave the resort an average rating primarily because the rooms were really not up to par. My room was beautifully appointed and spacious. I was on the 5th floor and looked out over the golf course and pool. It was a lovely view. On the down side, my TV did not work. I had to make two calls to housekeeping before they sent someone up to fix it. After jiggling a computer chip in the back he got the TV to come on. He said that the TV's were older and needed to be replaced...after that, the tv only worked sporadically....the remote didn't work at all.
The bed was also old and needed to be replaced. They placed a pillow top over the mattress to try to help, but really, they just needed to replace the mattress. The resort should also invest in fitted sheets for the beds as well!!!
Finally, housekeeping left a little to be desired. The second day I was there I went up to my room around noon and they were cleaning the room next door. When I returned to my room around 5pm it still hadn't been cleaned. Again...two calls to housekeeping before anyone showed up. Just an FYI....they don't replace the ceramic coffee cups, they just rinse them in the sink! (ick)
These are all things that can easily be remedies by management. I would go back to Barton Creek but overall I was a little disappointed by the lack of attention to details.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the pool/golf course.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
ft worth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

About what you would come to expect from the zombie chain. Nice (not over the top) and pricey. If you don't golf you can find smaller nicer less expensive places in the Hill Country. Staff was mostly young with little experience. The valet parking, considering you are in the middle of a lot of land, costs too much, and self parking makes for quite an hike. Rooms nice but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!