“Plusses and minuses” 3 of 5 stars

Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   8212 Barton Club Drive, Austin, TX 78735   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #62 of 185 Hotels in Austin
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Plusses and minuses”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have mixed feelings about our stay here. There are many things to recommend Barton Creek (recently acquired by Omni), while at the same time it is in need of some refurbishment and improvement. It is probably best to stay here if you want to play golf (beautifully maintained), experience the spa, or want something more quiet than downtown Austin. Do not stay here if you expect a more lively, centrally located place.
The grounds are huge with the facility and amenities quite spread out. You need to allow time to walk to the main lobby area from most rooms and then additional time to get to the self park area which is a rather dark walk at night. While we were there not all of the elevators were properly working (with one being repaired the entire 3 days), and this added to the time to get from our room to other places. Parking is expensive, especially given the self park location; and one really needs a car when staying here, if you want to explore the surrounding area, dine elsewhere, or drive to Lake Travis. The spa location is a bit of a trek from the lobby area and is a bit confusing being located on several levels needing to register and pay in the spa shop instead of in the actual therapy space.
Our room was comfortable tho in need of an update. You'll need to pay more if you want a decent view, as our standard room overlooked another building and driveway area. TV selection could be expanded. The room was clean and quiet.
One of the best deals was the buffet breakfast with its quality of food and numerous choices! We couldn't believe the bounty for $10 that was added to our room rate. I also recommend the spa services as the therapists were top notch. We had fun playing miniature golf with putting green.
Staff for the most part was helpful and personable. The dining room personnel were extremely pleasant and attentive. We did have difficulty with the clock radio for which we had called for assistance. The property engineer was supposed to swap it out the next day but did not.

Room Tip: Check with the registration staff as some rooms have been refurbished. If you have any special needs...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for your gracious feedback on all aspects of your recent visit to the resort. We appreciated the feedback on the areas that were enjoyed along with the items noted for improvement. I personally apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and would like to invite you to contact me directly at james.walsh@omnihotels.com to discuss further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Katy, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Barton Creek is a beautiful resort and the grounds and facilities are amazing. Tucked into the scenic countryside in the Austin area. I was there for three days for a business meeting. The food was good but on par for convention food, nothing special. The meeting rooms and common areas were very nice. The resort is somewhat confusing to get around but fortunately the hotel staff was more than accommodating when asked for directions!
I only gave the resort an average rating primarily because the rooms were really not up to par. My room was beautifully appointed and spacious. I was on the 5th floor and looked out over the golf course and pool. It was a lovely view. On the down side, my TV did not work. I had to make two calls to housekeeping before they sent someone up to fix it. After jiggling a computer chip in the back he got the TV to come on. He said that the TV's were older and needed to be replaced...after that, the tv only worked sporadically....the remote didn't work at all.
The bed was also old and needed to be replaced. They placed a pillow top over the mattress to try to help, but really, they just needed to replace the mattress. The resort should also invest in fitted sheets for the beds as well!!!
Finally, housekeeping left a little to be desired. The second day I was there I went up to my room around noon and they were cleaning the room next door. When I returned to my room around 5pm it still hadn't been cleaned. Again...two calls to housekeeping before anyone showed up. Just an FYI....they don't replace the ceramic coffee cups, they just rinse them in the sink! (ick)
These are all things that can easily be remedies by management. I would go back to Barton Creek but overall I was a little disappointed by the lack of attention to details.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the pool/golf course.
ft worth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

About what you would come to expect from the zombie chain. Nice (not over the top) and pricey. If you don't golf you can find smaller nicer less expensive places in the Hill Country. Staff was mostly young with little experience. The valet parking, considering you are in the middle of a lot of land, costs too much, and self parking makes for quite an hike. Rooms nice but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed September 2013
Potsdam, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I visited here for 4 days as part of a conference event. When I arrived all their computer systems were down and the reservation was messed up. Additionally most of the rooms were not ready as the cleaning crew had no computerized information to work off of.

After finally getting the room it was ok but nothing to write home about. The view was of the roof of the building next to the pool.... so much for great Hill Country Views. It was clean enough but somehow did not have that 5 star feel. HBO was out for several days as was the in room internet service. On a side note the room walls were very thin and there was lots of noise from the adjoining room (complete with moaning, explicit direction, and verbal enhancements) as well as the hallways.

I tried to get a golf tee time but was told they could not because; yes you guessed it computers were down. Also they had an event on Monday? So I book a spa treatment instead. They called me back 30 minutes before the treatment and stated they made a mistake and had to cancel, did I want one for the following day. It was like a parade of fools.

The morning after the conference I went to the coffee stand at 8:00 for a cup of coffee and a quick breakfast. They had coffee but the kitchen did not deliver the breakfast taco's yet (which they advertised so heavily) and to check back in 1/2 an hour. The food and drink in the restaurant was extremely expensive and pretentious. I don't mind paying for a good meal but the key is good.

While these were not the only disappointments they did rack up. On checkout I was asked how the stay was and I shared my thoughts with them. They discounted the stay (good for my company but did little to help me) and stated they were sorry.

Not someplace I would ever chose to stay on my own.

Denver, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The Golf Academy is truly a grand experience for any level of player wishing to improve their game. Facilities are spectacular, instructor a true professional, then add friendly Texas hospitality. The resort has it all. Well appointed rooms with views of the "Hill Country". A variety of restaurants providing choices from casual to fine dining all with a flair of local influence.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience at Omni Barton Creek. We're pleased to hear you enjoyed our meeting facilities and excellent service by our team members. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
houston, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

One of the best deals in sight.......Basically have a 3-bedroom home in Austin for 27 days/year to visit family, for birthdays and Holidays, as well as football game weekends......Grandkids spend time and bring their friends.....The fact that the Resort's facilities are also available, makes for a wonderful few days each time we come.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Mass
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Pros: beautiful environment - Austin is a great place in Texas. Wish I had more time to explore for personal time. Room was spacious and yet typical. Very clean and had all expected features except for working and readily available plugs to charge your devices... Friendly staff - for the most part.
Golfing looked spectacular - but did not play..

Cons: way too spread out - my room was an 8+ minute walk from the main building - ask for a tower room ... I was told I could drive and park near the spa to access the room better. I did not have a car .. expect to pay for valet or park your car at a good distance though.good exercise.

Staff was a bit too laid back .. do not expect " out of your way service." It was "well we tried?"

I don't think I would stay here on my own for a vacation getaway. You can get more for your money and points elsewhere ... sorry~

Wont go back there ...

Room Tip: Ask for the tower = or you are walking "miles" of hallways .. the Shining came to mind...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!