“A-Maze-ing Conference Center” 3 of 5 stars

Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   8212 Barton Club Drive, Austin, TX 78735   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #57 of 182 hotels in Austin
Armonk, New York
“A-Maze-ing Conference Center”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Visited Barton Creek to attend an event near by outside of Austin. This was billed as a luxury golf resort. My stay was just fine and I have no major complaints. The staff was helpful and courteous and I had a large room with a great view. I was not there to play golf so I cannot comment there, but few others were golfing as the weather in August was over 100 each day I was there.

That said, this facility is being run as a large conference center, not a resort. The hotel layout is unusually bad with hard to find elevators, and a maze of private meeting rooms where the lobby should be. The lobby was off in a corner and all business, no attraction. The hotel was clean but worn and in bad need of an overall refresh. Just one example, the elevator interiors were badly painted over in latex. The dining options were also quite limited and seemed to be set up for large banquets rather than guest dining. My room was better, no complaints there.

While there was free internet on the ground floor, the rooms incurred a $14.95 per day charge for wi-fi with a 3MB limit!!! This was particularly irksome. They also put two bottles of water in the room marked $9.00 a piece. I don't remember the brand. I know that there a drought in Texas, but come on!!!!

If you are in the Hill Country, this might be an option but next time I will keep looking.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

647 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Bheide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This hotel in very nice surroundings has almost all sport facilities, a large pool, tennis places and of course, also options for golfers. It is located in a huge park lake surrounding, Some of the rooms have a poor view, some a great view into the valley. But it is an expensive hotel with good, but not execellent service.

Room Tip: try to get a room at the higher levels with valley view
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
We love hearing your glowing remarks about our friendly service and we look forward to seeing you and your husband back soon!
Abilene, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I will stay here again.
The grounds, service, and restaurant are basically what you would expect from a top notch resort. Why not five stars?
- elevators did not work properly. One stopped on every floor every time, even though no buttons were pushed on the elevator or on the floors where it stopped. Once it went up instead of down, though the only button pushed was down, the corridor light indicated it was going down, and I was the only one trying to get it to go down. Every time I went by the elevators and someone was coming off, they were complaining abut the elevators malfunctioning.
- Nice big television in the room, but very poor picture quality.
- i was not given or offered a key to the mini-bar. Front desk informed me that this should have been done at check-in, and that all I needed to do was call down and they would have immediately run it up.

It think that was all. Overall beautiful grounds, good service, nice restaurant - just a few things to work on before earning an "excellent" rating.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

We chose the resort to spend our anniversary weekend & were expecting what we have experienced at other resorts in this price range. We were wrong!!!
We arrived & were told they had no king bed rooms like we requested. We had booked this months in advance & it was obvious they had over booked or given room to someone checking in earlier (we arrived at 6 due to traffic). After I was obviously upset they offered to send up a bottle of wine for the inconvinence. By the time we got up to the room it was brought up but it was a $10 bottle of wine. I don't even know where it ale from because I never saw a bottle for under $50 the whole time I was there. I could have just ran to wal mart to get a bottle myself!
The hotel is impossible to navigate & all the workers were less than enthusiastic to offer help. Not once were we greeted except by valet which we stopped using after the 1st time took 20 minutes to get our car. They need more maps in the room so that visitors can access the properties many amenities.
Once we finally found the pool we were once again disappointed. It was very crowed, dirty, & there were not enough servers to take drink orders. I only saw 2 servers & the pool was completely full during a weekend in the summer. The hotel is on plenty of beautiful property they need to add a pool to accomadate the large resort.
We played mini golf which was nicely done. That sadly was the only golf my husband cares to play after he saw their greens on the resorts courses. They had recently punched and sanded the greens & the fairways were browned out. I realize it is August in Texas but this is a golf resort. They should care for them better if they want experienced golfers to play their course.
The last straw was when I went to get in bed & their we're pubic hairs & stains all over my pillows & sheets. Gross!!! Thank God I brought my own pillow! A resort orbits caliber should not have an issue with cleanliness! Ridiculous! Also the tv in our room didn't have HD hooked up to the flat screen so not sure why they bothered getting the tv...
Only positive i say is that the views & area are beautiful! It is close to shops & restaurants.
We will never return instead select one of the many other hotels in the area.

• Stayed August 2012
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
We appreciate this feedback and apologize that you were not pleased with your stay. I would like to personally invite this guest to contact me directly at james.walsh@bartoncreek.com for further follow-up.
New Orleans
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We went for a family stay---2 adults, 1 child---and our stay was just OK. Our room was adequate but nothing exceptional. It was clean and the bath appeared to have been partly updated but the whole hotel still feels a bit dated. Even where they've refreshed things they've only half way done it---left old light plates, old hvac fittings, old doors or whatever that just defeat their efforts. We had breakfast included in our room price and Thank Goodness we did, b/c the first day they did not have it noted at the restaurant that it was included and I had to sign the check and then have the front desk remove the $70 charge. That's right $69.23 for 2 adults, 1 child buffet breakfast including tax ant 21% gratuity. And no, I didn't add 21% b/c the service was so fabulous--especially not for a buffet where I served myself---21% gratuity is automatically added to all hotel food charges. You will also pay a "resort charge" for each day's stay (9% of your nightly room charge---better incentive to find a good deal). Indoor pool is gross--just looks dirty. Outdoor pool ok. Mini golf really bad shape. Nature trail not well marked and many other trails crossing through. Golf--well that is a highlight--if you've got the chance to go on a company paid boondogle--Take it. Lots of tennis courts. Do the kid's scavenger hunt and the reward is a free dessert in the Wine Bar. The spa has great service and you definitely pay for it. Most treatments are around $150/ hr. Not unusual for a high end resort hotel spa. However, the common facilities---whirlpool, steam, sauna, relaxation room etc. are pitiful and not what you expect at a spa with those prices. All are old and small. Also, the series of doors, stairs, small rooms and multiple check in desks add to the downmarket feel. Overall, I rated the resort as Average because it is. It just felt like I was paying for Excellent and it is not.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide your input; we are always looking for ways to optimize the guest experience and this constructive feedback is helpful. We also appreciate you noting our excellent spa service and golf offerings.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Last summer (August 2011), we had a horrible experience at this hotel. I am so glad to say that this past weekend's stay was just perfect. The trash cans at the pool area were not overflowing, the wait staff at the pool was wonderful (they even came around to pick up trash around the pool area and hand out ice water), no bees swarming everywhere around the pool, no "foam" stuff floating in the pool...it was just great. With 2 young children, we spent the majority of our time at the pool and each day we were there, it was great. HUGE improvement from last summer. We used to go to the Westin La Cantera each summer, but got fed up with their dirty pools and lack of overall customer service. We now visit Barton Creek each summer and I am so glad this trip was great for our whole family. The breakfast buffet was wonderful as well! Thank you to the staff at Barton Creek - you guys sure did step up your game and it showed!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
We are ecstatic to hear about your positive experience this summer. We appreciate you coming back and look forward to seeing you again!
chicago, il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 3 short days. Only negative was the exterior appearance of the hotel which looks like a prison, but who cares right? Service was outstanding. Waiters at the pool making frequent rounds to keep you in your favorite libations, bellhop service very helpful either giving us shuttle rides or getting good limo service to downtown. All staff was very friendly. Lunch in the Crenshaw(?) Room was okay kind of high end menu and VERY pricy. Real nice onsite spa and fitness center. Hotel is large and a bit confusing to navigate. Golf courses were all they are cracked up to be. Arrived during a tremendous storm and courses were in great shape the next day.

• Stayed July 2012
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
We appreciate hearing such positive feedback about our friendly service and stellar golf course maintenance. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you back soon!

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!