“2nd visit at Christmas time - beautiful resort but rooms need to be replanned” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa

You added Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   8212 Barton Club Drive, Austin, TX 78735   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #66 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Sydney
“2nd visit at Christmas time - beautiful resort but rooms need to be replanned”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

We have just stayed 6 nights at this property, our 2nd visit in a year. This time we booked into the Fairway Suite and were very disappointed. This suite is in the main section of the hotel, and it is in desperate need of a refurbishment + a redesign of the room. We travelled as 2 adults + 1 child. Our daughter slept in a rollaway in the sitting area of the suite. The main bedroom had doors, but for our daughter having to sleep in the sitting area, it was hard not to disturb her. The bathroomns in this room are in severe need of a major refurbishment. They are dinghy & the lighting is very poor. I could hardly put my make up on with the poor lighting each morning! The shower curtain is disgusting. They couldn't even put a nice pretty curtain in the bathroom, which was terrible, being in a suite. The suite is badly designed, with only 1 bathtub, and no door closing off the bathroom area for privacy (if others are in the sitting room). The 2nd bathroom has only a sink and toilet (no shower or bath), which we found useless. There is too much open space in the suite, and not enough wardrobe/drawer space for clothes. No luggage racks to put suitcases on. We looked at 2 adjoining rooms in the 'new' tower section, but this would have been more expensive, and we weren't really that impressed with the new rooms either.

One night we were woken up at 3am with a sound like a jack hammer outside our room! When I called the front desk I was told it was the pipes in the hotel, and that they would have to call the maintenance guy out. It was a very annoying sound. In addition our bed sheets were filthy & stained on arrival, and after 3 nights I finally had to put a card on our bed to ask housekeeping to change them. The pilot light wasn't working either on arrival for our fireplace, and lots of things were not in our room, such as teaspoons for tea, tea bags, etc. We had to keep asking for things to be brought to the room.

Starbucks coffee in the hotel: why can't Americans make a good coffee? Having lived in Sydney for the past 14 years, I find the coffee absolutely disgusting in the US, and this includes all the coffee at the hotel. The drip coffee should just be thrown out, and the hotel restaurants should have proper expresso machines, and actually train the staff on how to make a perfect coffee. There is an art to it you know! I couldn't get a decent coffee at the hotel, including Starbucks. I tried ordering a soy cappucino, but the girl frothed up the milk so much that I just had a blob of foam on top of my coffee.I actually had to bring my coffee back to her, and ask her to remake it. The beans aren't right either. The key to good coffee is to buy the right beans, and whip the milk so that it is silky, NOT foamy! If the hotel could get this right, they would have people standing in a line. If Starbucks can't find the right beans, then kick them out and find the good beans first. Have grown up in Texas, and visiting family in Austin, we just couldn't get a good cup of coffee anywhere, including the resort! btw, the drip coffee is putrid. It tastes like dirty dish water!!

Having said the above, the hotel staff was very nice and accommodating. The hotel is always beautifully decorated at Christmas time, and the ice skating rink is fun too. The only gripe about ice skating is that we paid $5 for a smores kit, and were only given 4 marshmallows for our kids to roast. That was a rip off! How hard is it to put a small bag of mashmallows in this kit? Surely it wouldn't cost the resort that much money.

They gym was very nice too. Didn't have time unfortunately to try the spa.

Room Tip: make sure you ask for the 'newly renovated' rooms before you book!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

This is a resort that has a beutiful location and a lot of ameities. The rooms were nice, the staff did a good job working with their guests. The bed and breakfast package was very nice since they had a great breakfast buffet. The only issue is that the location is remote from town, the traffic is terrible at prime commute times. There is not much to do nearby or decent restaurants. If you want a getaway and stay at a resort to golf, this is a good location.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Vail, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

My wife and I recently spent a week at Barton Creek Resort and Spa in Austin. This was our 4th visit to the resort over the past 10 years and unfortunately, each trip was a little more disappointing than the last. Both the property conditions and service seem to deteriorate with each passing year. We have kept returning as there are not many spa and resort options in the Austin area and the location fits our needs very well. It is a relatively short (if you don't go during commuting hours) drive to downtown, but far enough out to really enjoy the hill country scenery and solitude. Overall, it is a decent place but it is not what it could or should be.
Staff are friendly and generally very helpful
Scenery
Full service spa and gym (closes at 9pm?)
Food-The breakfast buffet
Cons:
Bed was terrible (i.e. old)- Beds that were fantastic in previous visits apparently have not been replaced
Extra Expenses: OVER $8 for bottled water in the room, gratuities automatically added to restaurant charges, $25 for valet parking, $2.50 for a pack of gum in the store
General property condition: We had problems with the television, toilet and the telephone during our short stay.
We also were surprised by the number of events booked for Saturday night. I was unable to enter the property to utilize the valet service that we had paid for and had to drive around for 30 mins trying to locate parking.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Golden, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Was very much looking forward to visiting this marquee resort, managed by the same organization that runs the Hotel Del, La Costa and others. As expected, it's well manicured, nicely appointed, what one expects at a high-end resort. However, when we unloaded at curbside, the staff made no move to pick up our luggage, though I said I would like for them to handle our bags. With nothing but a blank stare, my wife and I hauled our three pieces to registration. Courteous and efficient check-in was followed by a long trek down a very cold hall. Got to the room, with everything in order, went into the bath and there is only a very small shelf over the sink to put toiletries...no side table, nothing else but this strangely minute over-sink shelf. We cranked up the heat as the room was quite cold.

Walking through the resort, the halls for the duration were extremely cold. When we inquired, hotel staff told us it had been warm and they could not decide whether to turn on the heat. When we returned to our room, Housekeeping had turned the heat way down, and again it was very cold. We fought this battle for our entire stay, the resort never tunred up the heat and the Housekeeping staff continually turned down the thermostat in our room. Dining was excellent in the bar and grill and the Hill Country dining room was excellent, the best veal chop I've ever experienced. The spa experience was wonderful, especially since the ambient temperature was just right.

When we left the spa, again we were very cold...when we returned to our room after dinner we could see our breath while walking down the hall. Subtract the unusual cold from our experience and we would rank this as a great value and a great property. I believe the indifference at arrival and the absence of shelf space in the bath do not merit strong criticism, but the cold was irritating, espcially the zealous dialing down of the temperature in our room.

One final item, on our check-out morning Housekeeping staff came to our door three times before check-out time...all three times the housekeeper could not understand English and we were unable to determine what it was she wanted. We departed before scheduled checkout scratching our heads over these curious aberrations.

Room Tip: Ask for a balconey room in the main building...and ask if the halls are heated!
Azle, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I made reservations for myself and 3 of my clients. When I made reservations I told them I would be paying for all of the rooms. The reservationist said that would be no problem. When I checked in I made sure that I would be charged for the rooms and not my clients, again, no problem. When I checked out I reminded the front desk that I would be picking up the tab for my clients rooms. I was assured that all was taken care of. I've since heard from 2 of my clients that they were charged for their rooms. I was able to get one reversed, even talked to a manager and come to find out today that another of my clients was charged for her room. Everyone I have talked to assures me that it's been taken care of. They are incapable of handling a simple billing issue. If you go, pay cash.

Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We thouroghly enjoyed our adult only vacation here. The spa was amazing. The fitness center was very nice. The food was awesome! The toritilla soup was to die for! The golf course was beautiful. We were there over Christmas and it was beautifully decorated. There was an ice rink set up for the kids and willing adults.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
BartonCreekGM, General Manager at Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time here. Our executive chef has been here for 25 years, but continues to create innovative menus that always include taste of Texas. Come back for more R&R!
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

A wonderful experience! I was invited here for a friend's birthday celebration - only stayed one night, but I'd have a hard time picking anything negative to say. I'd give it 5 stars on a 4 star scale! Service, accommodations, amenities, food, beverages were all over the top.... and you get a beautiful setting too. A great get-away. The only caution, is if you'll be spending a lot of time in downtown Austin, you'll have a 30 minute drive (without traffic).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
This is certainly a Hill Country Gem! We a lucky to be surrounded by such beauty, but we work very hard to deliver quality accommodations and cuisine. Thank you for the remarks.

Been to Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!