“Get out of your comfort zone!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Peche

Peche
208 W. 4th St., Austin, TX 78701 (Downtown)
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Peche is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #85 of 3,160 Restaurants in Austin
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Colorado
Description: Fine Dining and cocktail lounge
Atlanta, Georgia
“Get out of your comfort zone!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Peche (West Downtown Austin), is a cocktail bar that features hand crafted drinks and features an absinth menu. I am more of a Crown and soda type of guy, so I played it safe with something I had at least heard of by ordering a Sazerac. I was delicious! It features an absinthe rinse, which I’m told is unusual in a Sazerac.

The waitstaff is attentive and knowledgeable about the products they serve. The bartenders are precise and passionate about the drinks they make, and do not take shortcuts. This means waiting a little longer for whichever drink you choose, BUT it’s definitely worth it!

Oh!, and the food is great too!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Dallas, Texas
“Some great food, terrific craft cocktails”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We came here for my daughter's birthday and she loved it. She is a food nerd and is not easy to impress. We loved the atmosphere. When we first walked in not many tables had diners. But the bar was standing room only. We quickly found out why.

They seated us close to the front and that ended up being fine. I wasn't so sure that the street noise would be manageable. We loved our waiter. He brought us the substantial drink menu first and before the night was over we had each tried 2 different craft cocktails meaning the three of us got to sample six. That was fun. Our favorites of the six were the Dark & Stormy, Texas Mule, Vieux Carre, and Fig Manhattan. The Fig Manhattan is sweeter than a standard Manhattan. Vieux Carre is a little bitter but still very balanced. They have quite a group of mixologists and sitting at the bar would be fun.

Food was also unique and tasty. We started with the Characuterie Board and loved the curry pork rillettes, chicken liver mousse, and beef tongue pastrami. My daughter had the P.E.I. mussels and declared them the best she had ever had. And she has eaten a lot of mussels. I had the pasta special which was pasta with escargots. I have to say it lacked seasoning. I like the idea more than the execution. My husband had the hanger steak with smoked chevre gnocchi. Wow -- great smoked flavor. Overall a great dinner .

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Trust Me, Just Go There”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Peche is absolutely fantastic - food is delicious and varied, drinks are interesting and tasty, service is attentive and helpful, and ambiance is cool/trendy but classy. We went with a large group of guys and ordered many different plates - everything was great (daily specials and regular menu) so no need to single out any dish. We tried several absinthe drinks - hard to provide meaningful views as not my favorite drink but I can appreciate their knowledge of the liquor and thoughtful presentation/drinks (and the absinthe sommelier is hilarious - essentially orders for you!). Desserts good too - highly recommend the Irish Milkshake, it is a bit heavy so consider sharing.

While definitely on the pricey side for Austin (also add 20% for groups of 8), well worth the splurge for a classy, fun, and delicious experience.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Denver
“Great experience here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I loved everything about Peche. From the location to the decor to the service to the food - it was a great experience.

Super charming interior and really nice staff. Comfortable without being too fancy and our server had awesome recommendations.

I started with the PEI mussels and butternut squash soup - never thought those two would be so tasty together, but they were. It was a perfectly seasoned and portioned starter. I went on to the stuffed flounder with little neck clams, johnny cakes and corn sauce - WOW! Super delicious. Both were from the specials menu so I don't know how often they make an appearance, but they were both very tasty.

My only complaint was that the little neck clams were particularly sandy. Other than that, this place was great and definitely a spot I'd hit again when back in Austin.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canada
“Terrific cocktails, surprisingly affordable happy hour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We came here two consecutive nights. On Saturday, it was super crowded, a little slow, and there was a lot of noise from all the patrons. There were flapper-costumed women at a bachelorette party, and lots of couples. And the drinks were fabulous, and the food simple but good (carpaccio, salt cod arancini, cheese, charcuterie, that sort of thing).

On Sunday, it was much quieter, and we drank and ate at the bar. To our surprise, drinks and food from the happy hour (starred items on the menu) were very affordable: $5 drinks (their cocktails often reach $15!) and half-price food. The french fries with bacon aïoli were remarkably good; I felt guilty not eating much of the homemade ketchup, but it just wasn't as good!

The highlight is clearly the drinks, and the incredibly deep bar: all of those bitters and tonics and digestifs. And a fantastic mai tai, and a great fig manhattan (http://www.edibleaustin.com/content/editorial/recipes/fig-manhattan-pc3a9chc3a9). Really, just all around great. Go.

• Visited February 2013