“Well, it's a place to sleep!” 3 of 5 stars

Comfort Suites Downtown South
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1701 E. St. Elmo Road, Austin, TX 78744 (South Austin)   |
Ranked #131 of 184 hotels in Austin
Dallas
“Well, it's a place to sleep!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

When the description says "behind the Shell station" they mean literally backing up to the Shell gas station and convenience store! We brought our high school sports team here because the race at Circuit of the Americas had raised the rates at the airport hotels where we usually stay (see Holiday Inn Express Austin Airport). The place was adequate, not especially dirty, but just tired, like others have said. I wouldn't choose this unless other options are unavailable. We were there for less than 12 hours. The breakfast was typical cheap hot breakfast with those scrambled egg product circles - but it was hot! There was yogurt, fruit, bagels - enough to get you going. But for $150, not what you would hope for.

Room Tip: Um...ask for a room facing east, away from the adjacent Shell gas station :)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Leesburg, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This hotel we booked 6 months in advance because of price, as all hotels in Austin sold out for the 3 days of this weekend because of lots of major events going on. Located in a business park area of I-35 and Ben White Blvd East. Ben White Blvd E/W are access roads up to the airport. Roads are very confusing here as Highway 71 E/W runs in center of the access roads. Easy drive to Circuit of the Americas track (20 minutes tops depending on traffic). The hotel is in need of updating but otherwise very clean and quiet. Had King Suite and very comfortable. The only thing is the bathroom also in need of an update as small and the toilets are so low, hard to get up. Shower showed lots of wear and tear. TV very old and at least 20 stations on TV not available as shown on guide. No Weather Channel or SpeedTV as you think they would have because of Circuit of the Americas nearby. Need to drive to restaurants and Walmart within 1 mile West of hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Somerset Village, Bermuda
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

One of the older Comfort Suites in need of updating everything was tired from hall carpeting to room carpeting the floor of our room had balls of thread & dirt that had not been swept up from previous occupant...bathroom was tiny & had not been upgraded for years...seat of WC was loose. Not a pleasant experience would not go back. Have stayed at many Comfort Suites around USA many of which cost less & were 100 times better than this one.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Once I stepped foot inside room, I soon realized why it is worth to pay MORE for a nice hotel. vs going the cheap route to Comfort Suites, specifically this location. Room was not ready until after 4 pm, I was told at 2:30pm day of check it that it would be ready by 3pm. Manager of hotel is rude, disrepectful, and unprofessional. Once checked in, manager gave us a room knowing it was still dirty. Manager gave us keys to 3 different uncleaned rooms until I had enough! Not only where rooms dirty, building is in huge demand of maintenance fix, carpet smells of mold. Demanded money back and left ASAP. Do your self and family a favor and stay else where. Terrible service.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this property. Period.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
ontheroad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This property is really not what I expected for the price or the Comfort Suites name. It is aged and maintenance needs to step it up. Bathroom fan doesn't work, toilet runs, shower drips at wall and is ruining the wall, TV reception is poor and ABC, NBC, CBS not on the TV at all. That said, the bed was comfortable and clean, there was a good selection at breakfast if you go at prime time (too early and it's not put out, too late and it's gone because they don't restock) and the staff is nicer once they warm up to you. Breakfast area is small so take your room tray down so you can carry it upstairs. Small indoor pool. If you park under the trees the birds will get your car.

Room Tip: The interstate is on the West side so lots of noise. Plus the gas station is there.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Arlington, Texas, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I was able to get a great room rate here, and was excited as I know Comfort Suites and Comfort Inns are typically very nice and clean (although usually dated). I was wrong. The entire exterior of the hotel needs to meet a power washer! There were bird feces along the sidewalks on the ends of the building near the entrances. Literally a mountain of feces!

I was very let down by the pool and jacuzzi area. More than half the light bulbs in the pool area were out. The jacuzzi had brown fur growing over the top. I didn't get in when seeing that, but was worried for the children who were swimming that they wouldn't get sick.

I was very exhausted, and typically have trouble falling asleep. At exactly 7:24 AM, I was still sleeping and hadn't planned on waking until 10:00 AM, when I heard a knock at the door. I woke up from hearing it, but thought I would ignore it. While I was still in bed, a male hotel employee came in the room to check if I was still there! Why!? Checkout time is at 11:00 AM! I was disturbed by this, and knew I would never fall back asleep, and so I just got ready to go.

Breakfast... I am very cautious about where my food comes from. If the hotel can't keep the jacuzzi, sidewalks and carpet clean... I don't believe they can maintain clean food handling practices. I didn't trust the breakfast to eat it.

I should have paid $30 more and stayed at either the Hampton Inn or Fairfield Inn which are both very nearby.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel over Father's Day weekend, mainly due to its location (proximity to Ben White and Interstate 35) and the Comfort Suites name that we have come to rely on for quality. I do not know when I have been more disappointed in a hotel.

STRIKE ONE - LOCATION: First, the location is in a high traffic area, right behind a service station, and next to a 'seedy' looking hotel. We were concerned about our vehicle, so we asked if they had a security guard. They told us they did not have one on staff.
NOTE TO MGMT: Hire a Security Guard!

STRIKE TWO - CONDITION OF HOTEL AND ROOM: The main areas of the hotel, including the carpeting, walls, and main lobby are very worn and in desperate need of a makeover. The room was even worse. We had booked a room with two queens: apparently they are scarse - or should I say "scary"? Everything in the room, especially the TV, looked like something out of the 1980's. The ceiling was damaged and it looked like someone had dabbed huge amounts of spackling compound over it to stop water from leaking? The bathroom and bedsheets seemed to be clean, but the carpet was gritty.
NOTE TO MGMT: Update update update! Shampoo carpets!

The air conditioning in the main areas of the hotel was not working the day we checked in. OK, I'm not sure whether those tiny little a/c units positioned at either end of the long hallway just were not adequate or if they were completely broken? In addition, the hotel lost power 3 times in a span of four or five hours, which tripped the a/c unit. Each time the power was restored, or breakers were reset, we also had to get up out of bed and reset the a/c unit.
NOTE TO MGMT: Texas is hotter than Haides in the summer months. Fix the electric and a/c problems!

FYI - WE DID ask for another room and the attendant offered to upgrade us to a suite. We looked at the room she was offering us, and decided not to stay there because it seemed worse than the room we had. (She told us that there were a few updated rooms in the hotel, but none of those were available either.)

STRIKE THREE - BREAKFAST: Per the suggestions of previous TripAdvisor contributors, we went we down to breakfast around 8:30AM. We were going to give this hotel one more chance to redeem itself! I'm sorry to say that, not only is this the smallest breakfast area I have ever seen, but it's also the worst breakfast I ever had at a Comfort Inn. They seemed to be out of everything...perhaps they were rationing?

How did this hotel ever get to be in the CHOICE family brand? I would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites Downtown South? Share your experiences!