“Comfort Inn - Don't leave the light on!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #134 of 182 hotels in Austin
Fort Worth, Texas
“Comfort Inn - Don't leave the light on!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel over Father's Day weekend, mainly due to its location (proximity to Ben White and Interstate 35) and the Comfort Suites name that we have come to rely on for quality. I do not know when I have been more disappointed in a hotel.

STRIKE ONE - LOCATION: First, the location is in a high traffic area, right behind a service station, and next to a 'seedy' looking hotel. We were concerned about our vehicle, so we asked if they had a security guard. They told us they did not have one on staff.
NOTE TO MGMT: Hire a Security Guard!

STRIKE TWO - CONDITION OF HOTEL AND ROOM: The main areas of the hotel, including the carpeting, walls, and main lobby are very worn and in desperate need of a makeover. The room was even worse. We had booked a room with two queens: apparently they are scarse - or should I say "scary"? Everything in the room, especially the TV, looked like something out of the 1980's. The ceiling was damaged and it looked like someone had dabbed huge amounts of spackling compound over it to stop water from leaking? The bathroom and bedsheets seemed to be clean, but the carpet was gritty.
NOTE TO MGMT: Update update update! Shampoo carpets!

The air conditioning in the main areas of the hotel was not working the day we checked in. OK, I'm not sure whether those tiny little a/c units positioned at either end of the long hallway just were not adequate or if they were completely broken? In addition, the hotel lost power 3 times in a span of four or five hours, which tripped the a/c unit. Each time the power was restored, or breakers were reset, we also had to get up out of bed and reset the a/c unit.
NOTE TO MGMT: Texas is hotter than Haides in the summer months. Fix the electric and a/c problems!

FYI - WE DID ask for another room and the attendant offered to upgrade us to a suite. We looked at the room she was offering us, and decided not to stay there because it seemed worse than the room we had. (She told us that there were a few updated rooms in the hotel, but none of those were available either.)

STRIKE THREE - BREAKFAST: Per the suggestions of previous TripAdvisor contributors, we went we down to breakfast around 8:30AM. We were going to give this hotel one more chance to redeem itself! I'm sorry to say that, not only is this the smallest breakfast area I have ever seen, but it's also the worst breakfast I ever had at a Comfort Inn. They seemed to be out of everything...perhaps they were rationing?

How did this hotel ever get to be in the CHOICE family brand? I would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Baton Rouge, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Stayed at this Comfort Inn on March 9, 2012. Total price for a single person, king bed room was $172.45. (Room 149.95, City/County tax $13.50, Occupancy Tax $9.00). Price was a little too steep for a Comfort Inn. I did hear the SXSW Festival was happening. It this was the reason for the high price, it sounds a bit like price gouging.

On the positive side, the room was nice the the breakfast (6am - 9:30) was good.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Kennebunk, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Just stayed three nights at this hotel, and it was a perfectly fine stay all around. The room was comfortable, and fit our needs very well since there were three adults - and the extra sofa bed allowed for us to each have a bed. The shower was fine with plenty of hot water. The indoor pool is very small and the water is quite cold, but the hot tub was nice to visit. The breakfast was nothing special, but certainly adequate with plenty of bagels/toast/cereal available and the make-your-own Texas-shaped waffles. Breakfast is rapidly put away at 9:30am so keep that in mind if you are tempted to sleep late. Location of this property is in an industrial park, right off the highway, so you certainly need a car to stay here. However, it is a short 5 minute drive downtown or to SoCo or 10 minutes to the airport. In that way, the place is convenient, and affordable. Overall, it was a good value for our 3 day stay in Austin.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

We stayed at this location last week and I will have to say that I have decided NOT to book at any Comfort Inns/Comfort Suites in the future. After traveling all day, it was late before we settled into our room. The bathtub was so bad that I skipped the tub visit and cleaned up at the sink. An earlier review on this site dated 5/16/11 mentioned the condition of the tub. Whatever finish that was on there is now peeling off in large areas and it looks awful. The tub would not hold water for a bath because there was no plug or lever to pull. Not a problem because I had already decided there was no way I was going to sit in that tub. My husband was even reluctant to shower in there. We were in Room 313 which was next door to the earlier complaintant's Room 312.

We mentioned this to the manager when leaving and he said we should have asked for another room! Oh yes. After we had unpacked our car and lugged all the luggage to this room and settled in? He said they had some problems with work done on the tubs and were in the process of getting them redone. Really? She had this problem in Room 312 on 5/16/11 and 4 1/2 months later, the room next door is still in bad shape.

My take on this was we did not pay for this room. We used our Reward Points from Choice Hotels. Think they just gave us the dump room.

Last year we stayed in a Comfort Inn dump in Indiana and decided not to stay in another Choice Hotel again; but, I was told by someone in the motel industry that we should select Comfort "Suites". They are under more scrutiny by upper management. Apparently not.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
David S, General Manager at Comfort Suites Downtown South, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
We regret that you were not satisfied with your stay with us. We are sorry for the condition of some of the finishes of our bathtubs, as stated we are in the process of correcting the substandard work that was done. We have many satisfied guests that do return to our Comfort Suites on a regular basis. I do hope you will give us the opportunity to be your host again.
Keller, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

I had no problems with the rooms. Just a little worried about leaving my car in the parking lot and spots were very hard to come by. The room was ok (5 on a scale of 1-10), breakfast the same. I just expected more for the price and hotel chain. I had no issues but will try another hotel in the area on my next visit

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

Convenient location. Hotel could use a little updating, but very clean and staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Ballinger, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

I found a bug crawling on the bedspread that looked like it could bite so I scooped it up in a cup and pulled the covers back to look in the bed and there was red blood on the bottom sheet I went and got the manager David (very Nice). He confirmed that it was indeed a bed bug and moved us to another room on the other side of the hotel. He said it happens alot in hotels and movie theaters.....ewwwww. A lady said that she had never heard of any bugs "IN THAT ROOM)! We were told to take everything straight to the washing machine and wash what we could in hot soapy water and to spray our luggage with PESTICIDE or tie them up in black trash bags and set them out in the hot sun. He said they hide in the mattress seams! I was so grossed out that I could not sleep in the bed in the new room so I pulled out the sofa bed and there were dirty sheets and bedspread wadded up in it! I will NEVER stay here again. The shower in room 312 is also aweful and the paint is coming off in big areas where they painted over flaws and the bottom is grayish brown. The room we moved to had 1 light bulb in the dual lamp and the floor lamp shade was torn up, and dirty sofa bed. The entire hotel except the front lobby needs updating! NEVER AGAIN will I stay here. I have stayed at many Comfort Suites and had always been happy. Now I have shrunk some of my clothes and threw my laptop bag and suitcases in the garbage. I will not risk contaiminating my home and I don't want pesticide on my clothes.

Room Tip: Staybridge Suites Airport or the Hampton for me!