“Nice place - Great Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #134 of 182 hotels in Austin
Sarasota, Florida
“Nice place - Great Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

Convenient location. Hotel could use a little updating, but very clean and staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
David S, General Manager at Comfort Suites Downtown South, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ballinger, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

I found a bug crawling on the bedspread that looked like it could bite so I scooped it up in a cup and pulled the covers back to look in the bed and there was red blood on the bottom sheet I went and got the manager David (very Nice). He confirmed that it was indeed a bed bug and moved us to another room on the other side of the hotel. He said it happens alot in hotels and movie theaters.....ewwwww. A lady said that she had never heard of any bugs "IN THAT ROOM)! We were told to take everything straight to the washing machine and wash what we could in hot soapy water and to spray our luggage with PESTICIDE or tie them up in black trash bags and set them out in the hot sun. He said they hide in the mattress seams! I was so grossed out that I could not sleep in the bed in the new room so I pulled out the sofa bed and there were dirty sheets and bedspread wadded up in it! I will NEVER stay here again. The shower in room 312 is also aweful and the paint is coming off in big areas where they painted over flaws and the bottom is grayish brown. The room we moved to had 1 light bulb in the dual lamp and the floor lamp shade was torn up, and dirty sofa bed. The entire hotel except the front lobby needs updating! NEVER AGAIN will I stay here. I have stayed at many Comfort Suites and had always been happy. Now I have shrunk some of my clothes and threw my laptop bag and suitcases in the garbage. I will not risk contaiminating my home and I don't want pesticide on my clothes.

Room Tip: Staybridge Suites Airport or the Hampton for me!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

The room was quiet facing away from traffic with a comfortable bed. The breakfast had many choices but they didn't have regular flavored oatmeal and the juice wasn't very good. The spa was good to and the location is near downtown.

The downside of the hotel was the condition. The fitness center had such a musty smell that I wouldn't even use it. There were carpet stains in the room and the fiberglass was chipping in the bathtub.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

We've always enjoyed staying at this hotel. The continental breakfast is hard to beat and the staff is very courteous and helpful. The only gripe I have is the pool does not appear to be heated, which makes it a bit chilly during winter.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

We were on a 9-day trip, and stayed here 2 nights because it was close to family. We were surprised that for a place that SEEMS newer, it looked old on the inside. I think maybe it wasn't maintained well. The room seemed old and was the only hotel room on our trip that had an odor, not sure if it was cleaning products or what. And the wi-fi signal was terrible, worst at any place we stayed. I could have plugged into the network outlet with a cable, but the outlet was above the couch, not near the desk, which was very inconvenient. The washer was leaking water, which wasn't cleaned up 3 hours after I reported it to the manager. This was also the only hotel on our trip where the staff seemed unhappy and never smiled. Oh, and if noise bothers you, you definitely don't want to stay here, it's right on the highway, and you have truck noise on two sides of the hotel. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

This hotel seemed kind of worn out. For us it was just "meh". Not great, not horrible. Service was good, staff friendly and helpful. Was easy to find and relatively inexpensive. Was quiet and close enough to things we wanted to go to. It seemed clean. The free high speed internet was easy to use. The room was ok EXCEPT the bathroom.

The shower curtain rod had obviously fallen down at some point. When they put it back up they didn't finish the areas where it was attached and there were large amounts of spackle. They also hung it in such a way that the curtain wouldn't stay all the way to the ends and was constantly falling to the center, resulting in water on the floor.

The tub had been cracked and poorly repaired. It just looked worn.

The hotel is directly behind a gas station. During our first night there our room began to smell of gas fumes. We told the girl at the desk and she said there were no rooms left and did come up and spray the room. She was nice about it and offered to let us move to another room the next night. The smell didn't return so we just stayed.

We ate breakfast in our room. It was pretty much like any other Comfort Suites breakfast. The dining area was tiny, with only 3 or 4 tables, so we couldn't have eaten there if we wanted to.

It was just ok. We didn't hate it but we would stay at another hotel in the future. We like the Comfort Suites generally, but this was not so hot.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

This hotel is near the freeway but a little out of the way, so it's quieter than usual. The outside appearance wasn't promising, but the service was good and the room was large, clean, comfortable and quiet. I got a good night's sleep. There are a few rough edges here, including a boring and scanty breakfast and non-working vending machines on the second and third floors, but I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Suites Downtown South? Share your experiences!