“Hip yet homey hotel in the heart of South Congress.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off midweek suites
Ranked #20 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Toronto, Canada
“Hip yet homey hotel in the heart of South Congress.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the San Jose. We stayed in a standard room which was reasonably spacious and furnished in a Mad Men kind of way. The hotel is located close to all the hipster hot spots in Austin.
What impressed me most, though, was the helpfulness of the staff. They offered excellent suggestions for dining and music in the neighbourhood. The gentleman who works the front desk during the weekdays was especially helpful. Would definitely stay here again. For a quieter sleep, do ask for a room away from South Congress.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
arlington, texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were a little afraid the Hotel San Jose would be too hip/minimalist for us, but after reading the positive reviews we decided to stay there the first half of the trip to Austin. Ended up wishing we'd booked the whole trip there. Arriving around 5:30 pm after missing lunch, we ordered the hummus/feta dip plate we'd read about in reviews, and took it to the room. Great! Beds are divine, location is primo, and the landscaping all around the property is soothing and lovely. Each morning there were little birds cooling off in the fountains (it was 104 in the afternoon!), which reminds me to mention the wonderful AC. If you're not familiar with Texas heat, you may not fully appreciate this, but it saved us in the afternoons. It's a little pricey, but factor in that there's no parking charge, which can be $35. a day right across the river. We're planning a return when it's cooler.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I had an amazing stay at Hotel San Jose. The staff was very friendly, the rooms are beautiful, and the courtyard is a great place to relax and have a drink or a cup of coffee. Excellent location, walking distance to tons of stores and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

First time staying at Hotel San Jose. Just loved this place. it is on Congress Avenue and lots of cool hip places around the hotel including Magnolia Café. It is easy access to downtown restaurants and 2 minutes from I35. Registration is easy with a small but well designed entry area. In the same area is a small sitting area with a Bar area that serves free coffee in the morning and provides daily local and national newspapers. It opens up to a nice covered patio that serves drinks in the evening and seems to stay busy until late with locals just hanging out. Just outside the hotel is a popular coffee/Sandwich stand (Jo's) that is open at 7am. Lots of locals come by and it is very convenient for guests of the hotel. the rooms are very simply decorated in a retro fashion, the floors are polished concrete and very clean. Bright bathroom areas with Malin and Goetz toiletries that are very nice. Linens and towels were great. it is has minibar and snacks to purchase with lots of locally made and natural products and the selection was great. They do offer breakfast room service and also allow pets to stay. the grounds were very well maintained with a crushed granite walkway leading to our room and landscaping was lush and well maintained. you feel very comfortable staying there and my wife really loved it, very quiet in our room( room 17) and could not hear anything once in our room. Great Place!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I learned a bit about this hotel during the 3 days I stayed there. The owner seems like a savvy woman who has a great sense of design and business. The room and bed were exceptionally comfortable. I coveted the bathrobe they provided (but not for $150, which I think is mainly to discourage people from pinching them). Good vibe, nice beer garden. On a really hot day, I worked very contentedly in the small lobby for 3 hours. Exceptionally trained staff. Prompt room service. I hope she opens hotels elsewhere, because I'd go out of my way to support a business like this. The staff say they have great benefits, which matters to me. I'm a single, older woman traveler. If I return to Austin, this is the only place I'd stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Opelousas, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We loved our stay at the San Jose. Joe's coffee is right in the parking lot. The staff was great and so helpful. The patio bar was very nice and appeared to be a good local watering hole. Lots of action but laid back. The rooms were chic minimalist. Good beds, lots of room, and very high quality bath products. Great location. Walking distance to some really great shops and restaurants. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fulshear, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I had to make two trips to ATX in 2 weeks, I stayed here for both trips and can not wait until I have to go back. It is a great location, the rooms are clean and very 'cool' and the staff is very helpful. The beds are comfy and I absolutely love the shampoo and conditioner!! I had a wonderful time and will always stay here when I am in town.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 43 both times and enjoyed it very much.