“Great Anniversary getaway” 4 of 5 stars

San Jose Jazz Brunch
Ranked #22 of 185 Hotels in Austin
“Great Anniversary getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here over the weekend to celebrate our anniversary. We stayed in a suite at the back of the property and we felt like we had lots of privacy and beautiful surroundings. The room was very simple yet extremely comfortable. We would absolutely come here again.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Amazing grounds, courtyard, atmosphere. Rooms are charming and comfortable. Bath products are stellar. Great radio dock for iPhone. Order the bento breakfast and ask for rooms away from the steet. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I loved everything about this hotel! The location is perfect and close to pretty much everything worth seeing and doing in Austin.

We stayed three people in a double queen and that was a good size for us. I fell in love with all the details of the room, like the hippie blankets, the Malin + Goetz products, the awesome kimono robes, and the stylish mini bar!

The Austin weather was hot hot hot so we spent some time by the pool which was small and simple but did the job.

I didn't want to leave and I hope I will make it back there at some point!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here for one night after staying at the Saint Cecilia, and I am sure that really affected our opinion of this hotel. While it is very stylish, and the staff very nice, I do not think I would stay here again. The courtyard gets super crowded on weekend nights with non-guests which made it impossible to have a drink here before turning in. We stayed in one of the smaller rooms, so I was not expecting much, but the concrete floor and sparse walls made for a very loud experience. The door to the bathroom hangs on a track and it is insanely loud when you try to open and close it. It didn't help matters that the family of four in the room next to us decided to use the table outside our rooms as their personal play area for their kids at 8:30 a.m. There is no dimmer on the bathroom light so if you need to go in the middle of the night you are going to blind yourself when you turn it on. There was no closet to hang clothes, just a bar over a dresser so there was no where to hang the long dress I had with me. Not awesome.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lymington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Being a Native born Texan ,having lived in California,europe, and the Northwest, I was delighted to see the name of the hotel-trendy-the suite was comfortable, the patio was quaint, the shower was lovely, the organic product was a nice surprise,room service is more than acomadating-delicious breakfast- i thoroughly enjoyed my week long stay...I definitelly will stay here agian. the location to downtown is in lovely walking distance to the heart of Austin, close to family ,dinning out was equally lovely!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I always stay at the Hotel San Jose when I'm in Austin. I like the "hip" fun decorated rooms, there is also a cute little courtyard with pool and bar. The room was very clean and quiet. The staff even offered me a deal on a room the third time I travelled here, and are always welcoming. The hotel is located within walking distance of a lot of great shops and bars.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
San Mateo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed here one night while in town on business. I don't think I'll stay here again.

Good things:
1. Great location. This neighborhood has lots of places to eat, funky shops, bars, etc. We happened to be there on a "First Thursday" when all the shops are open late and there is street art for sale.
2. Courtyard. The courtyard bar is quiet and relaxing. Wine and beer only but good choices of both.
3. Coffee shop. Jo's coffee shop has great coffee and food choices (although limited). Although if it were cold or raining it would suck because it's pretty much just a take-out counter.
4. Room was clean.
5. Good water pressure in shower. Excellent toiletries.

Bad things:
1. Noise. Maybe it's quiet on a weeknight that isn't a first Thursday, but on the weekends and on the night I was there it was generally really loud in the vicinity. The room design does not help. The rooms are very spare, with concrete floors, minimal furniture, etc. No rugs. And the soundproofing between rooms is not good. So you can hear everybody walking around outside your room you can hear your neighbors, etc. I'm just glad my neighbors went to sleep after their loud conversation until 1:30am rather than, um, staying up for other activities. I would have heard everything. Even with earplugs it was not good.
2 Room blinds do not darken room. Thus, it was hard to sleep in after my involuntary staying-up-late.
3. Seating is not good. Very stylish plastic midcentury chairs look great, but stink for working in your room or relaxing.
4. Bed was only so-so. Definitely have slept on worse but all the pillows were identically not the right size for me.
5. All this for $200/night, and the rates go higher.

I love being in a fun neighborhood but I also love my sleep and a bit of quiet. If you don't care about noise and can sleep through anything your neighbors might be doing, then you'll be fine. I personally won't stay here again - I'll just walk to the area from another hotel that is quieter and a bit more off the noisy strip.

Room Tip: Beg them for a room away from everybody else. Especially if there is a firepit in front of one of y...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Meghan H, General Manager at Hotel San Jose, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear JoKnits,
Thank you for a fair response to your recent stay with us. I’d agree that we have some rooms that are more noisy than others. We also happened to have a wedding group in-house during your stay and that could have been a contributing factor to the noise. If you'd be willing tor try visiting us again we'd love to put you in a quieter room at a discount rate. We definitely have the ability to note in your profile that you prefer a quiter rooms with darker window coverage.
Safe travels and again thank you for the feedback.
Kindly,
Meghan

Been to Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!