“Wear your skinny jeans” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 190 Hotels in Austin
Austin, Tx
“Wear your skinny jeans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Hotel San Jose is quaint and pretentious all at the same time. We have had a many a great night there, drinking with David Byrne of the Talking Heads comes to mind. Have had friends come and stay there and we have been able to enjoy the amenities with them. I like the apples in the lobby and the wine bar is usually always happening. The rooms are appointed well and very chic. The grounds are manicured with a zen feel in some places. However, I can't help to ask myself why would I pay $255 a night for a little room? There are many other choices in the neighborhood significantly less. I guess the snob appeal is working for them? The hipster mood is fully abound, maybe that is what works?

What works for me is to drop in from time to time and drink a bottle of bubbly... with David Byrne...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Fredericksburg, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were looking for a small, quite, boutique place to stay near all the action. Hotel San Jose is not the place for that. The hotel has a cafe open to the public until midnight that remained crowded the majority of the time we were there. This is in the main common area and also right next to the pool, which makes it impossible to enjoy these features of the property as they are crowded with non-guests.

We also wanted to stay here because they have their own parking lot... but when we arrived it was full because they share it with the coffee shop next door. The staff directed us to a lot up the street where we had to carry our luggage from, not ideal.

Did love the high end bath products and robe in room as well as the location. Will not stay here again due to the high traffic of non-guests until midnight.

Room Tip: Would stay away from the rooms near the public cafe. Looks like they have more secluded rooms in the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I loved this place but quickly came to realize, I am not hip enough for the place.

This would be the place I would have loved to have been 25 years ago. The rooms are minimalist, austere and bare. Functional, yes, but not overwhelmingly cozy. I dare say this is the Generation Y, or X, or whatever letter we are on today, version of a boutique hotel.

Let's start with the floors; concrete. Move to the walls; one picture. Head into the bathroom; via a rolling barn-door. The desk, suspended from the wall. The common area; patio with craft beer (for purchase) sucked down by young people with iPads chain smoking as they make plans for the evening.

The hotel (as I am sure other reviewers pointed out in more detail than I can) is a series of one and two story buildings surrounding a number of walkways made of sand. Plants and waterfalls pop up sporadically in random locations to give the impression of walking through a garden. There is a narrow pool tucked into a space off the patio. There is an office which oversees all things hip & cool, with hip & cool personnel who are very friendly and accommodating. Might be a cult, but I think they were just hip & cool.

The hotel is in the "up & coming" area of South Congress (SoCo for the hip & cool). Right next door sits its own coffee shop, Jo's. Across the street is Amy's Ice Cream for a late night treat. Up a couple doors is the famous Continental Club where many a musician got there start. Within walking distance are many new restaurants just getting their stars on Yelp. A hip& cool place to be.

I liked the location, I liked the amenities, I didn't balk at the price (roughly $200.00 mid week) and thought service was excellent. I just felt like I was a little over-aged for the place. But maybe that says more about me than about them!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Customer service, uinque, low maintenance rooms. The coffee in the morning as well as the ambiance of the place is great.
I like the minimalistic approach. The rooms are comfy with high-end products for the shower.
This is a great place for a business trip. Easy access to your car (no valet!), wi-fi is consistent and complimentary. And the coffee...wait, I already mentioned it.
But, warning - this place may not be your gig. See minimalist above. The rooms are not carpeted, they are cement. I love this place, but my parents would hate it. Pretty hipster, but simple.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I took a picture of this hotel two years ago while walking around So Co and have wanted to stay here ever since! On my last visit to Austin for work it was during South By Southwest (unbeknownst to me) and when I called for reservations they just chuckled and said they were booked. I made my reservations early this time and after the drive from Houston was happy to finally arrive. I somehow missed the parking lot that sits between Hotel San Jose and Joes coffee but found a spot on the street right in front and just stayed there. Check in was easy and I found my room easily. It was a corner room right on the street and at first I thought the noise might bother me but windows were thick and I liked having windows on two walls and the natural light that streamed in.
Yes, the decor is very "minimalist chic" and may not be for everyone, personally I loved it...from the concrete floors to the Malin and Goetz toiletries. It's everything my country dream cottage would be!
The pool is small and I didn't find it very inviting but that isn't what I was there for.
Location is terrific and in the middle of everything...I highly recommend The Snack Bar two doors down (especially for the live entertainment al fresco on Wine Down Wednesday). Joes coffee the next morning was also a treat!
I will plan my trip far in advance again so that I have a chance to stay here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Lots of hype for the San Jose. Cool, buzz, hip, etc. But, don't be fooled -- it is still a Motel. Concrete floors, no irons in the rooms and a bathroom that wishes it had the luxuries of the bathroom in your college dorm. Spartan decor, tiny beds and poor lighting. Lots of handle-bar moustache attitude at the front desk. Very little customer service attitude at the front desk. If you want to overpay for the buzz, you'll do it here. Priced like a boutique hotel but, presentation like a roadside motel. If you want just a teeny bit more luxury, try a Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn or just about any hotel that is a hotel. And not a motel. Way disappointing and wouldn't go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My partner & I stayed here in August and had a great time. The staff are very laid back and helpful, if anything is needed then they do their best to accommodate.
The rooms were nice simple but effective. The concrete floor was great to have in summer 42 deg ! But don't know how happy i would be with it in winter. One point about the hotel was that there was no safe in the room. I think this should be rectified.
Bike hire is fantastic way to see the city and surrounds.. Get back to the hotel and have a dip in the pool (small but still wet). The music at night is not in your face..might be a D.J. spinning some tunes or a local artist but very relaxing to sit outside in the warm air and have a few cold beers.
Lots to see and do in Austin. Some great food to be had and you MUST !!!! I repeat MUST go to Hopdoddy possibly the best burger bar on the planet.

Coffee at Joe's next to San Jose is great-i think the hotel owns it. But very good..outdoor seating and a great place to people watch and meet some of the locals.
We had a great time in Austin and the hotel had a major part to do with it. It was really nice to come back to.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if you are a light sleeper..some comment on the music keeping them awake.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Hotel Saint Cecilia
4.5 of 5 stars 924 reviews
The Driskill
#37 of 190 in Austin
4.0 of 5 stars 1,062 reviews

Been to Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!