“A Motel Is A Motel Is A Motel” 2 of 5 stars

San Jose Spring Brunch
Ranked #21 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boise, Idaho
“A Motel Is A Motel Is A Motel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Lots of hype for the San Jose. Cool, buzz, hip, etc. But, don't be fooled -- it is still a Motel. Concrete floors, no irons in the rooms and a bathroom that wishes it had the luxuries of the bathroom in your college dorm. Spartan decor, tiny beds and poor lighting. Lots of handle-bar moustache attitude at the front desk. Very little customer service attitude at the front desk. If you want to overpay for the buzz, you'll do it here. Priced like a boutique hotel but, presentation like a roadside motel. If you want just a teeny bit more luxury, try a Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn or just about any hotel that is a hotel. And not a motel. Way disappointing and wouldn't go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My partner & I stayed here in August and had a great time. The staff are very laid back and helpful, if anything is needed then they do their best to accommodate.
The rooms were nice simple but effective. The concrete floor was great to have in summer 42 deg ! But don't know how happy i would be with it in winter. One point about the hotel was that there was no safe in the room. I think this should be rectified.
Bike hire is fantastic way to see the city and surrounds.. Get back to the hotel and have a dip in the pool (small but still wet). The music at night is not in your face..might be a D.J. spinning some tunes or a local artist but very relaxing to sit outside in the warm air and have a few cold beers.
Lots to see and do in Austin. Some great food to be had and you MUST !!!! I repeat MUST go to Hopdoddy possibly the best burger bar on the planet.

Coffee at Joe's next to San Jose is great-i think the hotel owns it. But very good..outdoor seating and a great place to people watch and meet some of the locals.
We had a great time in Austin and the hotel had a major part to do with it. It was really nice to come back to.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if you are a light sleeper..some comment on the music keeping them awake.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fargo, North Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have never provided a hotel review on trip advisor and I travel frequently but was so disappointed in the service that I felt the need to let people know. Charming hotel, great location doesn't also include great customer service at this hotel. Stayed at the San Jose a year ago and enjoyed my stay so decided to spend my money again with this hotel. I was traveling with a friend who typically stays at Marriott's and other larger hotels. When she checked in, no one offered to help her with her luggage so she hauled her 3 suitcases to her room herself. You have to be okay with rolling your suitcases on gravel and hauling luggage upstairs because there isn't an elevator. We ordered room service breakfast to be delivered between 7:00 and 7:15 am so my traveling partner could enjoy coffee before business meeting. The coffee arrived at 7:25 after time to leave for business meeting. Our room was next to the courtyard/bar area and the noise can keep you up at night. We checked out on Saturday morning. I realized that I forgot to return my room key (brass, nice, engraved, thought they would be happy to have it back) so made a trip back to the San Jose to deliver the key on Monday around noon. Since I had an hour to kill before heading to the airport, I asked if they could hold onto my small roller carry on suitcase while I shopped for a bit. I was told that there isn't enough room to store the suitcase and it is a safety issue. If I had checked out that day and asked them to store luggage after checkout, they would do so. But 2 days later, no can do. TSA is alive and well at the San Jose. I was shocked actually. They didn't even try to look me up in their system to validate that I had stayed at the hotel and spent $1,800 for my room. I won't return to this hotel and am really disappointed because I have mentionied the San Jose to so many people with praise.

Bethlehem, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This hotel is so fun. You must stay here. Once an old motor lodge, this hotel has been transformed into a green oasis in the middle of the South Congress neighborhood of Austin. Each room opens onto its own section of an amazing garden. The bed is very comfortable, the room is super clean (not huge but very clean), great restaurants and entertainment are just outside the vine covered walls of the hotel. And if you want to go to downtown it is just one mile up the road. I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed in the rear of the property, away from the road. We had a pleasant stay in #36.
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed at Hotel San Jose for work. Lots of great pros but one con.

Pros
1) The hotel is located in a fabulous location on South Congress Avenue.
2) Walking distance to many restaurants, bars, the Continental Club, and shops.
3) Beautiful landscape. In fact, a bride and groom were taking advantage of it by taking their wedding photos around the gardens.
4) Dog friendly hotel.

Con
1) Room location. South Congress Avenue is a busy strip so if your room is located close to the street, you'll definitely pick up a lot of walking and car traffic at night, especially during the weekend. Like I mentioned, I was there for work, and it was a weekend, so I had trouble sleeping at times. I usually wouldn't mind this but I had to my sleep!

I enjoyed my stay at Hotel San Jose and would recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from South Congress Avenue.
Gothenburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Before we booked our stay at the San Jose we were torned between staying downtown or on South Congress. I am happy to say we did the right choice.
Hotel San Jose has a perfect location right on South Congress. It is beautiful, clean och just perfect in every way. Really nice and helpfull staff with local knowledge.
I did not try the breakfast or the bar. Parking is just outside. Downtown is a 15 min walk away and at night there is a lot of people out on the street so it feels really safe. The pool is very small and more for standing in than for swimming in.
Next time I go to Austin I will definitely stay here again. I can´t wait!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I was there for a workshop and needed a place to stay for the night. I was only going to be in Austin for a little over 24 hours so I wanted to be somewhere in walking/bike riding distance to downtown. Although I came to realize I didn't need to go downtown since the location was perfect on South Congress. The front desk was beyond helpful, giving me a list of things to do and see and where to eat, but with more of a local vibe and not tourist traps, also with a bike rental to boot. Loved the decor and the clean, chic and simple rooms, awesome bar, very well kept grounds with adorable cactus everywhere. Everything was exactly what I wanted. As I waited to get checked in, I was offered an ice cold texas beer. When I came back from dinner, I sat outside and listened to relaxing acoustic music and enjoyed a refreshing white sangria. Loved loved loved this place, was worth the extra money, will definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel San Jose? Share your experiences!