“Better than TEX MEX” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Condesa

La Condesa
400 W 2nd St, Austin, TX 78701-3898 (Downtown)
512-499-0300
Cross street: Guadalupe
the woodlands
“Better than TEX MEX”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Went here before a show at Austin City Limits and sat at the bar.

Had one of the best margaritas and several small plates to share.

High quality seafood.

Happy hour is the way to go if you can't get in for dinner.

Will go again for sure.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Austin, Texas
“Creative menu but TINY portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Maybe our waiter set the wrong expectation by saying things were "family style"… I think he meant that these were more like tapas style. The portions are very small, so to me, this would be more of a happy hour destination than a real dinner. The menu is creative and everything we had was very good. Sadly, I think this will be a "been there, done that" restaurant for me. Great location, great ambiance, but in a town with AMAZING mexican food on every corner there are better options.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
La Jolla, California
“Exotic Mexican Fusion in Austin, TX”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This Mexican Fusion restaurant is welcoming, open and airy. My husband and I ate an early dinner at La Condesa on a Thursday night in a very comfortable booth. We had to ask them to turn down the volume on the music so that we could talk. Our server was friendly, efficient and knowledgeable. The food was delicious, although the portions were small. This is not "Tex-Mex." There are several vegan and vegetarian dishes on the menu, which is unique. The side order of brussel sprouts was fantastic and went well with the pulpo (octopus). The ingredients are all very fresh and there is a lot of seafood. My glass of wine was very small, so maybe we should have gone to the bar for happy hour instead.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Lucas, Texas, United States
“Great Meal, Attentive Staff, Perfect for Dinner with Friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Where to begin? We had a party of nine. The food was amazing, definitely on of the best meals I have ever had! We shared our many items, the raw oysters and shrimp, along with the guacamole tasting was a great way to start. The ceviches were probably the highlight of the meal, or were the brisket tacos the highlight? One friend said he had an out of body experience with the ceviche.
The Carrots Three Ways, Tostadas De Higado (dewberry farm chicken liver pâté, bacon, smoked black beans, escabeche, radish), Pulpo (red wine-braised octopus, chipotle romesco, cebollita, poached tomatoes, chermoula oil, duck fat potatoes), ELOTES (Mexican style street corn) and COLES DE BRUSELAS (brussel sprouts, bacon, grapes) were great compliments to the evening.
The wait staff did a great job of taking care of us. They were very attentive and their recommendations were spot on!
I will, without a doubt return. I recommend La Condesa to any one looking for great tasting food and a great dining experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Minonk, Illinois
“The most incredible Mexican food I have EVER had!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This hands down was the best authentic Mexican food that I have ever had in my life. The taco appetizer to the meal to dessert, it was the most amazing dinner ever. I wish I had gone there the first day I arrived in Austin, vs the last day. I would have been back for dinner at least twice.

Visited June 2014

Been to La Condesa? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage La Condesa, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.