“Buyer Beware” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 182 hotels in Austin
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Buyer Beware”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I think St Cecilia is probably the patron saint of the rip off.
My room rate was $700 plus and for that i got stay in, what i felt, was some dudes basement. Little to no natural daylight and nik-nakky crap from second hand stores - and oh yes a groovy turn table. If these things are the reason my rate was high then it was a waste of time buying them, i was scared to touch the in room beverages and chocolates - probably would have to sell my car! Next time it will be downtown for me - the waitress was nice who served me my $8 coffee but overall the staff were a little "too cool to serve".
A total disappointment after hearing great things - hype maybe?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Lisa M, General Manager at Hotel Saint Cecilia, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hello Saxa V. From all of us here at the Saint Cecilia, I am truly sorry you were so disappointed with your stay. I would love the opportunity to have you back in a different room type with more air and light. Please feel free to email me directly at lisa@hotelsaintcecilia.com or call 5128522423 to discuss options the next time your travels bring you to Austin. We'd love a second chance to leave a better first impression.

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel alone is worth a trip to Austin, and if you live in Austin, it feels like a getaway in the city. I honestly can't say enough great things about this little gem of a hotel.
It's located about a block off South Congress, but in a reprieve of Live Oak trees, so you feel a world away from the hustle and bustle.
The rooms are super cool, with big, comfortable beds, interesting snacks/bar items, record players and fabulous bathroom products.
One of the best parts of this boutique hotel is the intimate bar with outdoor seating. When the weather is nice, it's a perfect location for a pre or post dinner drink.
We only stayed here one night, but I wish I could have stayed a week. I LOVED this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #7 above the bar. It has it's own private patio overlooking the grounds, and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Gatos, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I loved the feel of this place. Very Austin- a little retro, but done tastefully. I loved the chosen furniture as its not your typical hotel furnishings. The tiling in the bathroom was really beautiful. You can tell the owners put a lot of attention into every detail to make sure it was high quality. I took a lot inspiration from this place for my own home remodel because it was the right amount of cool and comfort. Its also in a great neighborhood but still walking distance to some fun places. My only complaint was that they didn't have food service at certain hours. I got in around 2pm and they didn't have a cook there. The woman at the desk did prepare the most amazing cheese plate for me though. But salad or some other options are nice when you are traveling and not in the current time zone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We just got back from five nights here and can't say enough good things about this hotel. The location is just perfect - you're right in South Congress but just enough away so you can get some peace and quiet. The grounds of the hotel are also spectacular with large trees and a gorgeous courtyard for breakfast and drinks. The pool area is also really nice. The pool is heated - something that would have been helpful for the hotel to put on its website since it was nippy and we didn't think we'd use the pool before we came.

The rooms are just huge with a full living room, breakfast area, and a large private outdoor terrace. One of the reasons we were excited to stay here is because they have Hastens beds, which I have been completely obsessed with though unable to afford one, and it was great to sleep on a perfect cloud of Swedish comfort. I think they're the only hotel in the US with these beds. The bath products were good (the free ones) but as others have said the bath product minibar was a little much. But whatever.

The service here was very friendly and good. We ate breakfast here three days and thoroughly enjoyed everything we had. They have the most amazing croissants, this fantastic peppery sausage and delicious french toast. We also had some very nice cocktails by the pool. None of it was cheap, but neither is this hotel and frankly it was nice to have a quiet drink in this secluded place after the bustle of south congress.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Austin because it has real luxury but it also has a true Austin feel. It definitely was pretty hipster-y but in a good way and we certainly felt comfortable traveling as a family with a twelve year old.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

St. Cecilia is tucked away on a quiet street, but it is a really cool and niche hotel with a great vibe and decor. The staff is so sweet and the rooms are really funky and well-designed.
The bar has a good selection of wines and the grounds have cool little details. The hotel is located in the cool South Congress neighborhood - the Hotel San Jose across the street has a coll bar too. There are some really cute boutiques on the SoCo strip the have local designers, etc. There is also a running path along the water, that is only about 7 minutes running distance from the hotel.

Room Tip: The pool bungalows are superstar accommodations.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel was amazing, rooms were super cool, staff was very helpful, the location was great. The only thing that I totally hated was I felt like I was paying to stay in a boutique store on Congress street somewhere. EVERYTHING was for sale , the bottle opener, the pencil sharpener , $300 flip flops. It was just tacky if you ask me. I would think for the price that you pay to stay there (its not cheep) and the type of hotel it is they would assume that the type of travelers that would choose to stay there would have tastes of their own. My personal advice would be to open a shop off property if the owners want to sell so much stuff.

It was a great stay and I would maybe stay there again - but I did feel a bit put off by all the stuff they were trying to add onto the bill.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Arroyo Seco, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My wife and I believe the Hotel Saint Cecilia is one of the world's top of the line hotels, and we are looking forward to our third visit. We choose the poolside bungalow, and feel like we are staying in an Austin home rather than a hotel.Of course the room service and cocktails are over the top.

Room Tip: All good, you cannot go wrong.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Saint Cecilia? Share your experiences!