“Very clean but noisy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center

You added AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center to your Saves list
AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1900 University Ave., University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78705   |
Ranked #43 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Houston
“Very clean but noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed over Easter weekend. The service is great and the rooms are very clean. Bed is firm and comfortable but not luxurious. Nice convenient parking garage with easy access to the elevators. Request a room on the back of the hotel. We were on the 4th floor over the valet parking and it was very noisy at 3:00 in the morning both nights. People yelling, swearing, singing etc. We also had people knocking on doors in the hallway and yelling around this time too. The hotel is in the college area of town so I guess this is expected. The walls are thin and the sound travels. Room service was fast and good for breakfast. Ordered the continental breakfast so we could have real coffee. The in room coffee is instant. The showers are great and all is very clean.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back of the hotel where you can't hear the valet parking at night.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
UT_Hotel, Manager at AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Dear travelerT10:
Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us and I'm happy to hear that you generally enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that you didn't sleep as well as we both had intended though. We are certainly happy to do our best with any request for a quiet room, a higher floor, or just about whatever you desire when you or anyone stays with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed here recently during a conference in the same building. I can't complain except for one thing--noisy. The walls seem to be very thin:

*Garbage truck at about 5a.m.--right outside my window
*Someone next door either likes loud television or fell asleep with it on, very loud. I finally called down to the front desk at 1:30--they did send someone up promptly and I had no further problems.
*The fire alarm went off at about 4:30 a.m. on my last night--it's a really strange sounding fire alarm--I thought it was someone with a cart (a "whirring" sound).

Other than that, I was very pleased. Bed was a little too soft for me, but this is a personal preference--I just like a firmer bed. Nice robes that you can purchase for $125 if you want. Great shower, though a bit of a tight squeeze between it and the toilet (no tub in my room). Small fridge if you need it. Nice staff all around, good food at the conference (I assume the restaurants in the center are the same. The courtyard is a nice place to relax. UT-Austin is literally across the street. Fitness center was better than most I've been to.

The conference center itself was well laid out for our group. Sometimes a little chilly, but most conference goers know to bring a sweater or jacket for this issue.

I might be going to this conference again in 2013, which is scheduled to be at the same place.

Room Tip: I had a tower room on the 7th floor, which overlooks the UT clock tower. Fairly nice view, though I...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed there while he attended a conference held on site. We requested and received a room with a balcony so that we could have fresh air at night. There are few of these and they are on the top floor, so I appreciated that they did acommodate our request.

The room was adequate in size, smallish by American standards but perfectly manageable. Good standards of cleanilness maintained. Friendly housekeepers, concierge, doormen, and front desk staff.

Some of the rooms on the top floor suffer (like ours did) from a floodlight on the conference ctr roof that beamed directly into our windows.

Fitness center was pretty good! Good quality treadmills and other equipment. Enjoyable pool area for sunbathing.

I took issue with the fact that they charge you for USA Today (crappy newspaper anyway --- lowbrow -- they should offer the local newspaper and support their community). What they do is append a note to your check-in envelope, ON THE BACK OF THE ENVELOPE (who is gonna see that?!?!) saying that unless you indicate otherwise, they will charge you for the newspaper. This was NOT pointed out at check-in. While .75 is virtually nothing, it's the principle of the thing -- the fact that it's CHEEZY to charge for a paper, and the fact that they try to get away with doing so, that bothered me.

Room Tip: The hotel location is NOT good if you do not have a car (and this is advice coming from a runner who...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Laura H:
Thanks for your review of our hotel and the kind words. I'm sorry you took issue with our offering of the USA Today paper to all guests. The paper on your guestroom doorstep is included in the room rate just like the soap, shampoo, fitness center, swimming pool, and concierge service. We are required, through our agreement with USA Today, to have that language printed on our check-in packet just as every other hotel offering the paper is too. We do not individually charge extra for the newspaper and will gladly remove the $0.75 should you not want delivery of the paper each day. Local papers are always available here and we'd be happy to deliver The Austin American Statesman to your room if requested. Thanks again for the great feedback!
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

I figured this was just going to be a run of the mill conference center style hotel. It is, but it's so much more. My room looked like it was built the day before I got there. It was immaculate and the amenities were great. This is a very eco friendly hotel, but nothing is lost because of it. The staff was amazing. Friendly and helpful from the parking garage ticket taker to the room service delivery guy. Speaking of room service, I got back to my room late one night and got room service. It was one of the most amazing meals I've ever had. I can't say enough about this place. Friendly service, great location, great rooms and amazing food. Loved it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Whilst not the cheapest option you'll find for South By, The AT&T represents an excellent (shuttleless) hotel option.

Within walking distance of the carnage (make sure you walk home via City Hall at night - what an experience) this is a convenient option.

Avoid the pool - looks like it needs a good clean but apart from that, nice, clean with great staff - also a great place to grab cabs from helpful bell hops..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear jsquizzared:
Thanks for the review of your SXSW visit. I wanted to let you know that we have recently improved our pool area so that is now more of the oasis that is needed to retreat to during a wonderfully crazy SXSW week (or any other time for that matter). Thanks again!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I bet you thought I was going to talk about my phone, huh? Well, I’m not. Okay, maybe I am – a little. We have been having major challenges with our cell signal at the house. AT& T just can’t seem to keep us connected no matter what they do lately. I think it’s because instead of fixing our cell tower, AT&T has been putting all their resources into the AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center. This was a wonderful place to stay while attending a conference! The conference rooms were excellent and the breakout refreshments were very nice. My room was comfortable, quiet, had a great work desk, and fast internet. Our group had a couple of very good evening meals (and drinks of course) in the bar and were served by a great bar staff. If I have anything negative at all to say it would be that the lighting in the room was a little dim for my taste. I appreciate the energy efficient lighting and the fact that it softens the wrinkles when I look in the mirror… but it would’ve been nice to be a little brighter when I needed to put on my makeup. Our conference rates were quite reasonable, but when I checked into the regular rates for an upcoming business trip it seemed a little pricey to me. That said, I would still recommend the property!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Top rate hotel, and the location is ideal. You can walk to the capital, and are literally on campus at the University of Texas. However, it is expensive. We booked on Hotwire, and got a great deal, otherwise we would have not chosen this hotel. It's designed as a conference center, the rooms are great, lots of ammenities. One of our travelers went down to the bar in the evening, she said it was noisy, which was a negative because she was looking for a place to relax after a long day, but it did have French wine. Been to Austin many times, but would not stay again, prefer a better value for the money.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center? Share your experiences!