“Best staff. Period.” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Pennsylvania
“Best staff. Period.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I chuckle at some of the bad reviews here. Let me start by saying i travel to Austin every other week for business, and for the past six months this is the only hotel I stay in, and can stay wherever I like frankly. The reason? The staff, the clean rooms, and welcome feeling i get, wothout fail, from every member. Firstly, I think people have confused the ultra friendly and accommodating staff with creepy, when they are genuine in their friendliness and actually take an interest in chatting up frequent travelers. Spending many nights watching a game at the bar with a killer Martini (thanks to Steve and Rex!) there are plenty of rude, wierd, and odd people also at the bar that got the same level of respect that i get Secondly, I have never ever seen a homeless camp in the parking lot, lol. Like almost EVERY other hotel, there are no AAA rates at peak times. As a diamond member, have they missed putting water in the room? Yes, once, and gladly handed me water with a smile and an apology. Every aspect of my bi-weekly stay is perfect or made perfect. One note, I find it impossible to believe that Jeff the manager was standing with his hands behind his back as I've seen him bus tables, freshen coffee, check people in, etc., at the drop of a hat. By the way, I would stop there for breakfast even if I wasn't staying there.

• Stayed July 2012
HGINorthAustin, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin North, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you so much for the great review! I am glad that you have consistantly enjoyed your visits here-we enjoy having you. It makes me proud to hear that our team has been welcoming and friendly each time you have stayed with us. We strive to make travel easy and comfortable for our guests.
Jeff Nelson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Have stayed here a few times for business travels and enjoy the consistency of the hotel and the delivery of my HiltonHonors benefits (you can gain weight quick at their cook to order breakfast if you don't utilize the exercise room!). I walked in when one of the staff was leaving to move out West, and they were taking some pictures...one of the staff threw him in the pool...I was impressed by all the fun loving attitudes and helpfulness of the staff. For some reason there were no Neutrogena bath items and soap rationing (one little bar), but I think that was an anomaly. The room was clean and comfortable. I will stay again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HGINorthAustin, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Austin North, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for sending in this review. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit with us and look forward to your next visit. We ran into a brief supply issue but I promise you we are fully stocked with Neutrogena amenities now and will remain so in the future.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We arrived late at night, cranky and tired! We were promptly welcomed so warmly at the front desk. I believe Betsy was her name. Our room was beautifully decorated and impeccably clean. The beds were super comfy. Our truck was safe in the parking lot. We did not try the breakfast. You could hear the freeway traffic, as another reviewer posted, but we did not find it annoying. If you use your imagination, it can sound like crashing waves. :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit here. We hope to see you again soon!
Maryland, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

You stay at a chain hotel because you’re not a gambler, and chains should have a minimum standard of expectations. At an HGI (and at $120+pernight in Austin), those expectations should reasonably include:
• The possibility of a AAA discount
• Your room being ready when you arrive at 3PM (especially when you’re a Gold Hilton Honors member)
• Not having to ask for your complimentary bottles of water on check-in
• A soap dish in your bathroom
• A functioning alarm clock
• Keeping your coffee cup full at breakfast
• The evening desk clerk and the bartender not having to be the same person
• Not having the bartender confiding to me that he knew who I worked for (Creepy!)
I’ve stayed here several times in the past, and have seen some of the above symptoms before, but I got the full gamut this time, and won’t be staying here again.

Room Tip: Try the HGI in Round Rock
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
HGINorthAustin, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin North, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
I am very disappointed to hear about your recent stay with us.
Our expectations are for you to have a comfortable and relaxing stay with us.
We realize you always have a choice when it comes to choosing a hotel.
Please contact me at 512-339-3626 so that we may earn your and loyalty back.
Best regards,

Jeff Nelson
Chico, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

As Hilton Garden Inns go this property is on par for cleanliness etc. Room was clean. We had a suite because our 32 yr old daughter stayed with us while visiting for our son's wedding. This suite had loads of room in the "living room" because there was only a very small sofa in it that folded out to just a full size bed, I think, and a small coffee table. No other chair except the one at the desk, it just looked like a huge empty room. The staff is very friendly, but I am not sure I would say "accommodating". If you want a good giggle, please read on.

We arrived the morning following our reserved date due to flight delays and cancellations, that was no problem, of course, we checked in at about 3am. For the fold out bed in the living room there was one pillow and a set of sheets in the closet, but no blanket. I adjusted the room thermostat so our daughter would not be too cold. The following morning I stopped at the front desk and asked for a extra blanket and pillow, "no problem" was the response with a big smile. We were out most of the day, house keeping had cleaned the room, no blanket however, so I phoned the front desk and requested again, and once more "no problem", we left for the evening. There was a folded blanket on the table in the living room when we got back to the hotel; our daughter had stayed out with her brother, however, so I did not see the blanket until the next morning. It was a baby blanket! As we left that next morning I once again stopped at the front desk, explained (giggling) that I had requested a blanket and housekeeping had delivered a baby blanket, could we please just have a blanket and a pillow? "No problem!" was once more the response. We arrived back at our room exhausted, after a busy day and an evening wedding, about midnight. As we stepped into our suite, in this very large, very empty room, squeezed in next to the closet in the living room was a cute little portable crib with another baby blanket hanging on the side of it!! A CRIB!??!! OK, after laughing hysterically for a while I phoned the front desk... the poor guy was not at all amused as he figured out how to fold the crib up, leaving us (finally!) with a pillow and a blanket! I tried in vain for two days to simply get a blanket and an extra pillow.... So in this hotel be careful HOW you ask for a blanket, you might want to specify you want an adult sized, normal bed sized, blanket because if you request a blanket you may just get a baby blanket, with or without a crib to go with it of course.

Room Tip: I prefer highest floor and away from elevators.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Fortunately, I did not fall victim to the homeless camp behind the hotel, so I was pretty happy with this Garden Inn. I was put in a first floor ADA accessible room close to the lobby. The hotel was full but luckily I got there early enough to switch rooms and someone else got the weird 1st floor room (sorry to whoever that was). The clerk at the desk was very helpful with that.

The rooms are nice and clean and up to date. I ate breakfast on the first morning and thought it was way overpriced and way greasy so I didn't eat there my second morning. I walked to the Einstein bagel place next door. I had a drink at the bar one night and the bartender was very friendly. This was very convenient to where I had to be so it was a good location. If you're looking to see Austin, this is not the place to stay, but I was overall happy with it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights in July 2012. On our 4th night there,my husband's truck window was smashed and his tools were taken and his vehicle trashed. We had returned around midnight from moving our daughter from The University of Texas at Austin. We noticed that all three lights on the side of the hotel were not working. We went inside to report the lights not working but there was not any employee to be found.This was the place we were told to park since we have the moving trailer and we assumed the hotel had security. Well, guess what, I was told by the front desk the next morning that they do not have security. Where are the employees late at night? There was no employee to be found and we looked for a long long time.
Around the back of the building we noticed a homeless camp on the Hilton Garden Inn's premises.This was in their parking lot. We advised the front desk the next morning. Guess what, they were back the next night. We insisted that they call the police as we suspect this is who was breaking in the cars. We were not the only vehicle broken into. We were told by the girl at the front desk that they come in to use their bathroom, eat their cookies and fruit left out for guests, etc. Why have they not done something about this before now .Please,Please what is going on here. After a long discussion with the police officer, he finally asked them to go elsewhere. My question is, when did Hilton Hotels start allowing homeless camps in their parking lot and why ? We did not feel safe here and will not return.

As far as the rooms go, they are nice Hilton Garden Inn rooms, the service in the breakfast area is excellent. The cook goes over and above, very nice.
I do believe there is a night problem going on at this hotel which management needs to look into. I am giving the low ratings because of the safety issue.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin North, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
I am deeply sorry that your visit was so unpleasant. This was an isolated incident and the security of our guests is of the utmost priority at our hotel. We have ways of ensuring this such as twice a day we do daily property inspections to check for unsafe conditions. As for this situation, reports have been filed with the authorities. Please call Jeff Nelson, General Manager, at 512-339-3626 so that we can find out more about this incident and earn your loyalty back.