“Funny stay” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Chico, Ca
“Funny stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

As Hilton Garden Inns go this property is on par for cleanliness etc. Room was clean. We had a suite because our 32 yr old daughter stayed with us while visiting for our son's wedding. This suite had loads of room in the "living room" because there was only a very small sofa in it that folded out to just a full size bed, I think, and a small coffee table. No other chair except the one at the desk, it just looked like a huge empty room. The staff is very friendly, but I am not sure I would say "accommodating". If you want a good giggle, please read on.

We arrived the morning following our reserved date due to flight delays and cancellations, that was no problem, of course, we checked in at about 3am. For the fold out bed in the living room there was one pillow and a set of sheets in the closet, but no blanket. I adjusted the room thermostat so our daughter would not be too cold. The following morning I stopped at the front desk and asked for a extra blanket and pillow, "no problem" was the response with a big smile. We were out most of the day, house keeping had cleaned the room, no blanket however, so I phoned the front desk and requested again, and once more "no problem", we left for the evening. There was a folded blanket on the table in the living room when we got back to the hotel; our daughter had stayed out with her brother, however, so I did not see the blanket until the next morning. It was a baby blanket! As we left that next morning I once again stopped at the front desk, explained (giggling) that I had requested a blanket and housekeeping had delivered a baby blanket, could we please just have a blanket and a pillow? "No problem!" was once more the response. We arrived back at our room exhausted, after a busy day and an evening wedding, about midnight. As we stepped into our suite, in this very large, very empty room, squeezed in next to the closet in the living room was a cute little portable crib with another baby blanket hanging on the side of it!! A CRIB!??!! OK, after laughing hysterically for a while I phoned the front desk... the poor guy was not at all amused as he figured out how to fold the crib up, leaving us (finally!) with a pillow and a blanket! I tried in vain for two days to simply get a blanket and an extra pillow.... So in this hotel be careful HOW you ask for a blanket, you might want to specify you want an adult sized, normal bed sized, blanket because if you request a blanket you may just get a baby blanket, with or without a crib to go with it of course.

Room Tip: I prefer highest floor and away from elevators.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Fortunately, I did not fall victim to the homeless camp behind the hotel, so I was pretty happy with this Garden Inn. I was put in a first floor ADA accessible room close to the lobby. The hotel was full but luckily I got there early enough to switch rooms and someone else got the weird 1st floor room (sorry to whoever that was). The clerk at the desk was very helpful with that.

The rooms are nice and clean and up to date. I ate breakfast on the first morning and thought it was way overpriced and way greasy so I didn't eat there my second morning. I walked to the Einstein bagel place next door. I had a drink at the bar one night and the bartender was very friendly. This was very convenient to where I had to be so it was a good location. If you're looking to see Austin, this is not the place to stay, but I was overall happy with it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights in July 2012. On our 4th night there,my husband's truck window was smashed and his tools were taken and his vehicle trashed. We had returned around midnight from moving our daughter from The University of Texas at Austin. We noticed that all three lights on the side of the hotel were not working. We went inside to report the lights not working but there was not any employee to be found.This was the place we were told to park since we have the moving trailer and we assumed the hotel had security. Well, guess what, I was told by the front desk the next morning that they do not have security. Where are the employees late at night? There was no employee to be found and we looked for a long long time.
Around the back of the building we noticed a homeless camp on the Hilton Garden Inn's premises.This was in their parking lot. We advised the front desk the next morning. Guess what, they were back the next night. We insisted that they call the police as we suspect this is who was breaking in the cars. We were not the only vehicle broken into. We were told by the girl at the front desk that they come in to use their bathroom, eat their cookies and fruit left out for guests, etc. Why have they not done something about this before now .Please,Please what is going on here. After a long discussion with the police officer, he finally asked them to go elsewhere. My question is, when did Hilton Hotels start allowing homeless camps in their parking lot and why ? We did not feel safe here and will not return.

As far as the rooms go, they are nice Hilton Garden Inn rooms, the service in the breakfast area is excellent. The cook goes over and above, very nice.
I do believe there is a night problem going on at this hotel which management needs to look into. I am giving the low ratings because of the safety issue.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin North, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
I am deeply sorry that your visit was so unpleasant. This was an isolated incident and the security of our guests is of the utmost priority at our hotel. We have ways of ensuring this such as twice a day we do daily property inspections to check for unsafe conditions. As for this situation, reports have been filed with the authorities. Please call Jeff Nelson, General Manager, at 512-339-3626 so that we can find out more about this incident and earn your loyalty back.
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stayed there while attending RoT rally in Austin. Staff was very friendly, rooms were clean and spacious, and the hot tub was a nice way to relax after a full day of shopping and concerts. Even with several bikers in town, it was never loud. Will stay again any time we are in north side of Austin!

• Stayed June 2012
HGINorthAustin, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Austin North, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you so much! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

This Hilton was to the standard of others of its class. Immaculate, with nice amenities. The printer in the business center broke down, making it difficult to print boarding passes - and there were not able to resolve the problem quickly, but I guess this could happen anywhere. The only thing to complain about is the amount of highway noise in the room that I stayed in (facing the highway). The breakfast was great - but it would have been nice to have it for under $10. I love the cookie that is available in the evenings - but did not get the two bottles of water upon check-in that I am used to, from staying at the Garden Inn in the Boston area. The staff were friendly.
They charge $50 for a shuttle to the airport, which I thought was a bit steep, until I took a cab that cost even more.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

Front office was kind as can be upon check-in. Everyone I encountered, which were several different front office associates had a smile and were very courteous. I could tell all of their personalities were genuine and that's something I don't see too frequently when I travel. The blonde girls were really sweet, the girl with the red hair, and an older lady who was working the night shift. A majority of the time when I encounter hotel staff, I am positive that the kindness is all an act. Those people were all a breath of fresh air. Housekeeping was sweet as can be. They work the hardest out of everyone in this industry. Rooms were clean. I gave the location a 5 because my friends and I were traveling two consecutive nights back and forth to a festival 45 minutes east of Austin called Nocturnal Wonderland. It was the closest hotel under my Hilton employee discount. We usually stay downtown when visiting Austin. My one and only complaint is that the hallways don't feel air conditioned at all. Maybe it's broken, I don't know, but I broke a sweat walking to my room.

• Stayed April 2012
Plano, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

This is my last stay here period. Customer service similar to Red Roof Inn and no way close to Hilton services as expected. Checked in was crowded and there is only one person handle all check in and answering the phone. In the mean time, the general manager Jeff Nelson was walking around in the lobby with his hand behind his back doing nothing. Do something useful and help the checking in counter. I was obviously not happy with the customer service. The counter has the gut to ask if I want to cancel the room reservation for someone else.

After I checked in, the checking in line was long to the main door. Where did the management team learn how to control the crowd? Not happenned when was I was there.

I was upset due to this horrible checked in and wait for the room to be ready. We went to our room and used the bath room. NO TOILET TISSUE. To make our trip more peaceful, we force ourselves to think that we are staying at the Red Roof Inn. I got bettter service there.

I rather have no service than horrible service. If this is the way Hilton cut the cost, have an auto check in kios just like ATM and rental car. I walk straight to my room and you can get rid the GM and the checkin counter.

BTW the when the AC turn on, it sounds like the jet engine taking off. I agree with the GM, this hotel is definitely not for my taste.

Room Tip: Stay away when Austin has a lot of activities which almost always.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin North, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I know ou guests are often very busy so we appreciate the time it took for you to write about our property. It does seem that you could have checked in during a busy check in weekend as it was during sports playoffs and many school teams were checking in that weekend, so we do apologize for our higher occupancy, and if you felt in any way that you did not get the service you expect from our product. Regarding the toilet tissue, it is a design in the bathrooms that the toilet tissue is somewhat "hidden", should you say, under the vanity area, our apologies again. We do sincerely hope that we are given another opportunity to make this up to you. Please feel free to contact me directly should you be in town again, and I will be more than happy to make sure that your stay is more enjoyable. Again, thank you for the feedback. Our guests are our most valuable asset.