“So disappointed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of aloft Austin at the Domain

You added aloft Austin at the Domain to your Saves list
aloft Austin at the Domain
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11601 Domain Drive, Austin, TX 78758 (Northwest Austin)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #89 of 187 Hotels in Austin
Austin, Texas
“So disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I am usually very happy with SPG properties, but this stay was one of the most disappointing I've had. First, the hotel is undergoing construction, although it seems to be a new hotel in a good area. Check-in was ok, although I was told because I made my reservation last minute, they didn't have an appropriate room to upgrade me (gold status). I was ok without the upgrade but I was then placed in a room with two queens, not the king I reserved. And my view was a construction zone, dumpster and a potta-potty.

The hallway is dark and the vibe is trendy, although I think it falls a bit short of the mark. The room was incredibly disappointing. The closet is unusable, it's a shelf with a curtain across - but the shelf only is wide enough for the iron and a roll of toliet paper (seriously). The beds are platform and there is a funky built in seating area that probably is used for bags since a suitcase doesn't fit in the "closet". The desk does have outlets that are conveniently located. The vanity and sink are right next to the door, and long enough to hold a lot of stuff. There was a mini mini-fridge under the sink vanity. The toilet and shower are in a separate compartment. Shampoo and body wash are in dispensers so if you need soap, you will have to move the one bar of soap from sink to shower and back.

But, the most disappointing part of the room - the bed comfort and overall upkeep of the room. The mattress is so thin, that I could actually hear the springs boinging when I rolled over. One of the beds had the AC blowing directly on my face in bed (window unit and there are no louvers to redirect the flow) but the other bed had a large mattress sticker or label that irritated right through the sheet by my feet. I could not believe how bad the bed comfort was. Also in the middle of the night, the roll-up blind (no curtain) fell halfway off the roll, facing me to try to sleep with tons of light pouring into the room. For saying I spent nearly $200 a night after taxes, I expected far better than what I ended up with. I've stayed in motels that were cleaner and in better maintained shape.

One last thing, the cleanliness was obviously lacking. I posted a photo of the vessel sink with a ring of gunk clearly visibile. I was completely grossed out and obsessed over whether my toothbrush was anywhere close to that. To top it off, when I went to check out and let someone know about the blind and the gross sink, there was no one there...And I waited a few minutes for someone to show. I will not return to this hotel and am frankly, disappointed in Starwood that they even want their name associated with this place.

Room Tip: Stay at the Westin down the street...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mel_Garber, Starwood Hotels at aloft Austin at the Domain, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear lakeflyer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us – we’re sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay. We strive to maintain the standard of service you expect from a Starwood property, and are sorry to have let you down.

We see feedback as a gift, and appreciate you providing us with these detailed comments so that our management team can work to correct the service and cleanliness issues you described.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Traveled for business and stayed here for 2 nights. Since our local office also puts people up at the Aloft in my city, I was very familiar with it (they do tend to all look alike, no matter what city you stay in). I too am not a huge fan of the IKEA-like atmosphere, but I appreciate that they are trying to do something different and not be a run-of-the-mill hotel. The rooms seem to be geared mostly for business travelers, and suited me well. The bed and pillows were nothing short of luxurious. I will say the noise from the restaurant/bar below does tend to travel, but I personally wasn't too bothered by it. Someone below mentioned having to park off-premises and lug your own stuff; it's like half a block away. Not a big deal - and there is a roofed driveway in front of the lobby doors if you want to unload there. I found the staff incredibly professional, always addressing me as "Ma'am" when they spoke to me. The hotel is around a lot of shopping and restaurants, but located a fair distance away from downtown. The room was very clean and up-to-date; however, the shower's water pressure was pretty weak. There is free water/coffee and magazines in the rooms which was a nice touch. Since I think the main purpose of this hotel is for business and convenience to shopping, there's really no good 'view' from any of the rooms that I could tell. Mine overlooked a parking structure.

They also have a little area in the lobby where you can purchase food items at all hours, but I found they didn't have enough to my liking. I wished there was more variety. The drinks at the bar are also quite expensive, but I realize that comes with the territory when you go to a hotel bar.

My main criticism is the price. I was reimbursed by my company and booked through our company site (so I wasn't necessarily looking for 'deals' via a third party website), but altogether my stay was $474 (with taxes) for 2 nights. That seems astronomical to me for an Aloft. I feel like I could have gotten a nicer class of hotel for just a little bit more money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Mel_Garber, Manager at aloft Austin at the Domain, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear HappyTraveler3434,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about our hotel with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our location, clean rooms, and professional staff. We hope that you stay with us again the next time you’re visiting the area.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My friend and I met here for a girls weekend-- a good location next to a nice outdoor mall for some good shopping time, but also within easy driving distance of downtown. Rooms were fine, the staff was really friendly, and they had comfortable chairs near the pool. Compared to other hotels in the area it was a decent price the weekend I was there. Ask for a room that is not on the street side because we could hear a lot of loud voices from the restaurant next door late at night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mel T,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us about your stay. We are glad to hear that you and your friend had a great weekend. Thank you for complementing our staff, location, and comfortable amenities. The next time you’re in town for a shopping trip, we would love to have you stay with us.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Staff was great (especially helping me early one morning with internet access), room was well-equipped (in a kind of hipster sense) and one can get just about anything in the Domain within a 5-block walk.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mel_Garber, Starwood Hotels at aloft Austin at the Domain, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear PL911,

Thank you for your kind review. We are very happy to hear that you had a great stay and enjoyed our helpful staff, guest room features, and location. Thank you for staying with us here at Aloft and we hope to see you the next time you’re in Austin.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Though I have been a longtime Sheraton customer and stayed at many SPG properties, I've never stayed at an Aloft before so I gave it a try on my last trip. I have to say I don't like the concept--the hotel and rooms seem cheaply made and minimally furnished, all under the guise of trying to be trendy. But the club-style music that is perpetually in the air, and the bright color schemes can't hide the fact that at least this Aloft (and I assume all other Alofts) simply use clever marketing ploys to get Gen X-ers to pay more for these low-budget properties. The service was immature and unprofessional and the food, was little more than dressed-up McDonalds. But to it's credit, the hotel was clean and the bed was comfortable.

Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hotel is one of two in the Domain area (other being Westin). I didn't realize it until after I checked in, but apparently all aloft hotels look pretty much the same. That is, a room in the aloft Beijing looks pretty much the same as a room here in Austin.

Biggest gripe was that the towels in the room were dirty. Don't bother trying to seek recourse via their Twitter account. They pretend like they're there, but it's mostly scheduled tweets. Other pros/cons:

Cons:
- AC makes the room very cold when it's on, and the room is hot when it's off. It's also very loud.
- Parking lot isn't right next to the hotel. You have to park across the street and lug your stuff over.
- No HBO -- they have Showtime, but no HBO.
- Water pressure in the shower is really weak.
- Toilet's flush is VERY loud. Not so great when you have a sleeping toddler in the room.
- Bed/pillows aren't that comfortable.

Pros:
- Plenty of outlets.
- Location at the Domain mall is convenient. Also very close to the highway, making it about a 10 minute drive to downtown.
- There is a bar downstairs that looks pretty popular.

I wouldn't mind coming back here, but maybe I'll try the Westin next time. That said, not a bad choice for Austin at all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Frisco, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed at this Aloft a few times. It is in a great location with restaurants and shopping. The hotel is really nice and the staff is extremely helpful and accommodating. The rooms are standard Aloft rooms. If you are in the Domain area, stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Itravel328,

Thank you for being a loyal guest of ours. We are happy to hear that we could be helpful and accommodating during your stay. We would love to have you again the next time you’re visiting the Domain area.

Been to aloft Austin at the Domain? Share your experiences!