“Not worth the high price” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Not worth the high price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2008

I stayed with my husband and two children, ages 5 and 2 1/2. We booked a Lake View Suite which was incredibly expensive and expected a very elaborate room -- what we got was a very ordinary, no frills room, that was kind of small. I was absolutely sick to my stomach about the money we spent on this room thinking it was going to be luxurious (which it should have been for that price). That being said, everything else from the service to the amenities to the location was top notch. Absolutely fantastic -- we were all treated like celebrities! My recommendation would be to book a regular room at the hotel -- don't bother with a suite, it is definitely not worth the high price. And it was disappointing for a Four Seasons room. Next time we come to Austin, we probably stay at Barton springs resort which looks much nicer. Excellent stay -- but very very very disappointing room.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

We stayed at the Four Seasons-Austin over Memorial Day Weekend. The service (front desk, housekeeping, room service, pool service and concierge) was Four Seasons-quality all the way. The location is really great (close to downtown, the capital and the UT campus) and the lake/river view is quite nice.

However, for those of us fortunate enough to frequent Four Seasons properties, the facility itself does not measure up and is disappointing. In an absolute sense the hotel is well above average (probably 4 out of 5). Nonetheless, this property carries both the FS name and price tag, so I rate it a 3 out of 5 on that basis and frankly I’m being generous.

There is a musty smell throughout the hotel. The rooms, and the bathrooms in particular, are very small and the décor and furnishings are ordinary at best, tired at worst; in neither case would any of it be up to Four Seasons standards. The pool is small, the elevators are old and slow and the AC in the rooms struggle to keep up. There is no chance that FS actually built this; it must have been something else originally. We’ve stayed at many Four Seasons properties, resorts as well as urban locations. This is the most disappointing property we have visited and it is really not worth the premium they charge. As noted in other reviews, there is a major construction project (Four Seasons Residences) on the Northeast corner of the property. There was no activity over the holiday weekend, but we can imagine that rooms on the city view side will get significant noise during the week. Also, be ready for $25 per day for valet parking and $11 per day for internet access (the Ethernet connection did not work in our room, so we had to rely on Wi-Fi, which did work well but if you need Ethernet speed, beware). We had a $150 credit as part of our package so we did eat dinner in the restaurant. The food was fine but with so many great spots in Austin (many within an easy walk of the hotel), I would have preferred to pay less for the room and eat out. If you pay up for the River view, insist on a higher room (6th floor or above), lest the power lines intrude on your view of the river. We were on the 7th floor and it was fine.

Bottom line: We will not return to this property, which is something we can’t say about any other FS location we have visited.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

My husband and I stayed here in May for a friend's wedding at the property. We were simply blown away by this hotel, in particular the excellent service. We called in advance to alert the hotel that we were a late check-in, for which they thanked us. When we finally arrived, check-in was quick and hassle-free. We had a lake-view room which was beautiful. The room was very clean, and well-appointed. The bed and sheets were very comfortable and elegant. There was a great flat-screen TV, and the bathroom was fully stocked with L'Occitane bath products, and tons of fluffy towels. You are given a choice of several newspapers to be delivered to your room complimentary in the morning, including the New York Times. The restaurant downstairs was lovely for breakfast and lunch - both the buffet and a la carte menus were great, and there were several "healthy" choices available. Seating on the patio is really beautiful, with a view of the lake, and if it is chilly, there are heat lamps. All the staff really go out of their way to make you feel comfortable, and offer to accommodate any special requests you might have. There is a great biking/running/walking trail directly off the back of the hotel, that goes all along the lake. Fitness center was modern and well-equipped with personal TV's for each cardio machine. The pool area is a little small considering how popular it is, but is incredibly comfortable. The staff there is wonderful - taking drink and food orders, coming around with complimentary ice waters, and setting up the comfy chaise lounges with clean terry covers and fresh towels. The property is very beautiful and relaxing - there are several "nooks" around the lawn with comfy chairs or hammocks to curl up in and read, relax or daydream. The customer service continued even on our departure, with our valet escorting us into our car with bottles of water for the drive home. This really felt like a true "resort", and you feel very pampered staying here. We would definitely come back for a weekend getaway.

• Liked — The customer service, the natural setting, the pool
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

The hotel is in a great location, right on Town Lake within good walking distance to downtown, with shops and restaurants. The service was perfect from check-in, to the bar, restaurant and Concierge... just what you would expect from a Four Seasons..

That being said, the rooms could stand to be upgraded.. as one of my travel companions stated.. "it reminds me of Investment Banker circa 1990's".

All in all, it was a great experience though.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Room decr
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

I can't say enough wonderful things about this property. We stay here several times a year, especially during UT Football season. Last season Matthew McConaughey was in the lobby. The lobby bar is a great place to people watch. You never know what celebrity will be in the bar. We've also seen Robin Williams here.

This is the best property in Austin. Book a room with a view of Town Lake. The spa is amazing and staff over the top friendly and helpful. We've never had a bad experience at this hotel. There may be some construction now as they build the Four Seasons Tower next door but don't pass up this hotel. Sit by the pool, take a walk by Town Lake and enjoy Austin. I love how accommodating FS is with children. S'mores in the evening by the lake, dive in movies by the pool in the summer, chocolate chip cookies in the room with their names on the cookies and a glass of cold milk. Thank you Four Seasons-perfect in every way!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Memphis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

We were at the Four Seasons for four nights and five days in early April. I had some trepidation because of a negative write up on Trip Advisor. There IS a huge condo under construction on the north side of the hotel ("City" side), but we paid up for a room on the river side and were not disappointed. I actually paid an additional $35 for the balcony and it was worth the extra. I would advise getting on the 6th floor or aboce (though balconies are not available on every floor as I recall. there are a few power lines away from the building that very slightly mar the view, but you are sitting right above the river and it is very very beautiful. People rowing crew, etc. The hotel adjoins a great river trail and my wife and I had an excellent stay. No one was stuffy, unwilling to help, etc. Its a lot more expensive than the alternatives (I was originally booked at the Courtyard at $170 per night but cancelled after push back from my wife). LOTS of great places to eat within a block. We didn't think much of downtown Austin. It suffers from years of parking lot installations, but aside from the Domain, a new project further 6 miles north, would have prefered our location over all alternatives. Actually, if you are in a river front room, this is the best place from my view point in Austin.

• Liked — the river view
  • Disliked — not very attractive architecture. fairly generic
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Scottsdale, Az.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

I have never seen a more attentive staff. Everyone from the room attendant to the front desk staff to the telephone operation also was asked me if they could do more for mean and they sounded like the actually meant it. I was truly impressed.

The facility was great. Did not use the pool but did use the exercise room. Never had to wait for a cardio machine. They could have used a few more weightlifting machines. I prefer them to free weights, which they have plenty of.

I had a free morning and I used it to get a massage by one of the Spa staff. I was very pleased.

I liked the shoe shine service, and the choice of newspapers. Room was well appointed with a very comfortable bed and a great TV. They need to figure out a way to get Hi-Def into the room to take it a step further. I was a bit annoyed that at this price point you did not get free internet (it is $11 per day) but if you are paying that much what’s a few more bucks.

All in all I was very impressed and if ever in Austin again I will be back.

• Liked — Service level and attention to detail
  • Disliked — Internet Service should have been included
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Austin? Share your experiences!