“This was the most relaxing experience of my life.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Austin Spa Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Austin
Lake Austin Spa Resort
You added Lake Austin Spa Resort to your Saves list
1705 S Quinlan Park Rd, Austin, TX 78732   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 191 Hotels in Austin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Granbury
“This was the most relaxing experience of my life.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2009

There is something for everyone at Lake Austin Spa. The treatments that I received at the day spa were the best that I have ever had. The instructors for all of the classes are highly trained and knowledgable. The food and view of the lake are better than you can imagine, and not to mention the most comfortable bed that I have ever slept in. I didn't want to leave and I can't wait to return.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

I wanted to rejuvenate, unwind, relax, get healthy and be pampered…it all happened on my first day. This was an amazing experience. I’ve traveled the world, stayed in many five star hotels and resorts and Lake Austin Spa and resort is a flawless experience. Well worth your time. You have the awesome Austin atmosphere, the beautiful Lake you watch every day as you eat and play. The one thing that sets everything apart is the Lake Austin Spa and resort staff. The genuine feeling from the staff is far from what you can imagine. If you can have this experience I highly recommend it. One more important thing, the food is out of this world! I wish everyone an opportunity to stay at Lake Austin Spa and Resort!

• Liked — The food and the staff and the massages
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

So, I must admit, I have never stayed at a spa overnight before, and in fact, I have never even been to a day spa for a simple massage. That being said, this place was top notch. The room we stayed in was named after Lady Bird Johnson who has stayed there in the past. We had a private Hot Tub in an enclosed patio.

This was also my first massage. My girlfriend and I got the couples "Texas Starry Night" massage which was in the dark in a small enclosed area with private hot tub. This was my first massage and it was everything (and more) than I could have ever imagined. 80 minutes of bliss.

We also attended the Nautical Noodles class, a water work out with those floating noodles. Sandy, the instructor, was very nice and also lead the Boat/Hike the next morning.

Overall, the place is super friendly. The staff really seem to enjoy themselves here and love their jobs which is important at a place like this.

If my lady and I ever get the chance to experience a place like this again, I am sure we will return.

• Liked — The Massage and Sunday Super
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

A friend and I recently treated ourselves to a week at Lake Austin Spa. We had a fabulous experience and would highly recommend it to others looking for a destination spa. We greatly enjoyed the fitness classes, had wonderful spa treatments and attended many interesting and informative workshops on everything from organization, aromatherapy and managing stress. We chose lake Austin when we saw the pictures of the common areas on their web site ...they looked like someone's lake house living room that you would want to hang out in. And the experience definitely proved to be just that. We felt we were visiting a friend with a great place on the lake, with a great staff to help us be comfortable, and to give us lots of options for keeping active and enjoying our environment. The fitness classes were great, with enough variety throughout the day/week that you did not get bored and yet it was not overwhelming. We spent time on the lake as well, which was a lot of fun and I would highly recommend (kayaking, boat cruise). I loved the yoga and water classes (Nautical Noodles, Deep Water Workout, etc).
The rooms are not luxurious (we were in number #30, which I would recommend as well as any of the rooms above #27); decorated in a shabby chic style, they are quite comfortable and ours seemed to be set up perfectly for two women traveling together - large bathroom, two sinks, private area for toilet shower and large closet spaces for two. The bed was very comfy. The rooms are really quiet, you don't hear your neighbors at all. They had a nice TV, DVD player (with a nice choice of DVD's available at the front desk) and a clock radio with an iPod dock.

The grounds are lovely, beautiful flowers, garden full of herbs and vegies, and great hammocks hung along the lake to curl up in and soak in the relaxing atmosphere and watch the birdlife around the lake.

The staff was great, very helpful, very friendly, and knowledgeable. They really made you feel comfortable. And amazingly, they were right on top of things (in the spa, restaurant and grounds), but yet you did not feel like they were in the way of enjoying the resort (did a great job of keeping a low profile while providing great service).

The spa treatments were great, a little higher priced than other day spas I have been to, but in general they were worth it. The day spa facilities were wonderful and we felt like we were treated like royalty.

Last but not least the food at both the Aster Cafe and the main Restaurant was great. Tasty, interesting and yet low cal. We never felt hungry even though we were eating a lot less calories and smaller portions.

I would definitely go back and will recommend it highly to friends.

• Liked — Great atmosphere, very relaxing, yet lots of great things to do to get in shape and treat your body wonderfully!
  • Disliked — there was nothing I would complain about....
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

This was my second visit to the Resort and it was just as good as the first, everyone is friendly including the other quests who visit with you as you were family. I had trouble deciding what dates to go and Katrina in reservations was very patient with me and always was so accomodating. I attended a Fung Shei lecture and loved the speaker, I tried the Tarot cards just for kicks and the guy was very professional and focused. The only not so 5 star experience on the property was the spa, I had a problem with my massage and Chris the manager promptly handled it but when I went back to the spa, Chris was gone and a female manager was in charge and she did not honor what Chris had said. I had just dropped 500.00 at the spa and she was un accomodating. All in all, Lake Austin Spa Resort is the Bomb, it is a must do for every women who needs to rejuvinate!

I cannot wait to go back next June!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

The Lake Austin Spa Resort is an amazing place, to reconnect, to eat, to exercise. We were there in mid July and the timing was perfect. My wife and I celebrated a 15 year anniversary while the kids were in camp. Consider the Lake Austin Spa "adult camp" -- with healthy food, cool drinks and some interesting classes to get your body moving. The surroundings are beautiful, nestled on the Lake with spectacular herb gardens and wildflowers all over the place. It did feel a bit daunting with all the ladies around, for a few days it seemed like I was the only guy. But what a pleasure to be around so many women -- they come in all shapes and sizes! I was able to enjoy some kayak exploring, trail hiking and believe it or not "hip hop dancing". The food is healthy but not your typical "spa food" that leaves you wanting more. You can order as many items as you like and there were some great choices like buffalo burgers, turkey BBQ, Tex-Mex faves and plenty of meat and fish choices for dinner. The place is not cheap, but you get what you pay for -- personal attention, great food, and wonderful spa services. There was no attitude and it was all casual. We hope to get back for a recharge real soon!

• Liked — Casual coolness
  • Disliked — Expensive
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2008

The spa is set along a chunk of Lake Austin, and even in February it was just gorgeous. We stayed for two nights. The whole place is built around their gardens of herbs and greens and flowers, which they use in their restaurants. When you check in, you receive a schedule of classes and events (all of which are included) and a pair of very comfy spa sandals. They tell you that everyone's welcome to just wear their huge, squishy terry robes everywhere, which I disdained the first day and then totally embraced by the second evening. The setting is very pretty, and the walk from the rooms to the spa is just gorgeous.

All your food is included, and is actually incredibly tasty and good - since they list all the calorie counts, you can be good if you want to, or if you're more interested in experimenting than calorie-counting (we, sadly, fell into this category) there's a wonderful variety and array of dishes. My favorite cut-and-paste dinner would have been the manchego cheese flan (60 calories-less than a mini-snickers - gorgeous and creamy anyway),a fennel, orange, and frisee salad, and perfectly cooked lamb chops with a wild honey-orange-rosemary glaze. Even dessert was amazing - we were so shameless we had a second one sent to our room later with room service - there's both a blueberry cobbler and a mocha-glazed chocolate cake that I'm remembering fondly. Breakfast and lunch were good, too - my favorite lunch was a smoked pulled-turkey bbq sandwich with peach chutney, coleslaw, and vinegary sauce, and followed by swirled peach and vanilla frozen yogurt (not TCBY - made with local peaches and vanilla beans, mmm). Hors d'oeuvres are served at 3, and drinks (coffee, several variations on iced tea, etc) are available self-serve all the time. You also have the option to do room service most of the day if you just can't be bothered to go out.

There are tons and tons of exercise classes, with all kinds of styles - yoga and stretching all the way to hard-core marathon training, kickboxing, etc. They have kayaks and water-bikes for rent, and trips away from the site to hike or train. There are also a bunch of specialists around who will give you one-on-one training and workshops on other related topics, should you want to explore that option - or there's the option of doing nothing at all, which they also encourage: We failed to make our posture analysis session, for example, because we ended up falling asleep together in a double hammock by the river. And we took a great cooking class with the executive chef - the spa has published several cookbooks and we could see why.

There are reading rooms all over the place with a mix of "smart" and cheesy books, the best of which is in the spa itself, the "Blue Room". It's worth going an hour or two early for spa treatments just to hang out by the big fireplace in your robe on the various ridiculously comfortable chairs, chaises, and sofas. You need time to try out more than one... There are a couple of pools, two outdoor and one indoor, a hot tub, and lots of outdoor spa "rooms" where they can do any treatment if you ask ahead. The special treat is supposed to be the "Bamboo Room" designed for couples, but we missed that, sadly.

The staff is completely casual and friendly and anxious to please - they manage to convince you they'll do anything you ask without seeming sycophantic. And I appreciated that the fellow guests we were there with didn't seem to be overly concerned with "showing off" - everyone seemed to sincerely be there to relax, work out, and enjoy the pampering. We were there as a couple and never really talked to anyone else, but there was a "social table" for the people who were there on their own that seemed to be having a good time.

At the spa, I had an "Olive My Love" treatment, crazy decadence - you start with a ground-olive-pit scrub over your entire body, neck to toe, then shower off in an in-room shower. Then you're doused in gobs of warmed, scented olive oil and wrapped up in warm towels so that it all soaks in - when they wrapped me up, I was dripping in sauce, and when I came back out there wasn't a drop on me, so it had to go somewhere! As you're absorbing, the masseuse massages your scalp with olive oil - totally satisfying, she kind of pulls the roots of your hair as well as rubs the scalp, so soothing - then moves on to a gentle face massage. Then she unwraps you to give you a full-body massage for 50 minutes, using more scented olive oil. By that point, you're basically liquid...and as silky as anyone's ever going to be, everywhere. And a deep-tissue massage on another day was equally amazing, if not even better.

The one short spot was the room itself – the rooms are comfortable and the beds are great, there’s a shower as well as a deep tub with lots of their signature bath products to make you feel pampered, plenty of prep and closet space, but it’s a little dated and not as luxurious as I’d expected – kind of Texas shabby-chic, with handmade quilts on the wall and upholstered beds. We had a front porch area with chairs and a big soft ottoman (and an adopted cat, who liked our chairs as place to sleep at night). Big flat-screen TV (we watched the Oscars) but no wi-fi in the rooms, which stressed my husband out a little. And it was difficult to make the room really dark at night, due to the number of windows and use of venetian blinds (with wood slats, but still). Cute, but maybe not up to whatever the ridiculous price is for staying overnight. I’m a huge design critic, though, so don’t listen too much to me. The room functioned very well and the time we spent in the room, I wasn’t really critiquing…we were either dressing, sleeping, or being romantic, so obviously it couldn't have been too terrible!

I’ll give the spa six stars out of five, and the restaurant at least five out of five, and the rooms a 3.5 (though the beds were awesome, they’re a five, and I’m very picky). Would I spend $1500 a night for all of it, in-season? Not this week – but I don’t fault people who do. It was pretty amazing and soul-affirming.
It's crazy expensive to stay overnight, so even though it's incredible, I might not do that again, at least not often; but luckily, I live in Austin, so the day spa is absolutely a must in my life, now.

(Spa is $$$, about average spa cost for similar treatments but better value than most (and the treatments are more luxurious than most), resort is all-inclusive but still $$$$.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Lake Austin Spa Resort? Share your experiences!