“Relaxation in Texas” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Austin Spa Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Austin
Save Saved
You added Lake Austin Spa Resort to your Saves list
1705 S Quinlan Park Rd, Austin, TX 78732   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 185 Hotels in Austin
“Relaxation in Texas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Wonderful experience at lake Austin spa. I Could return monthly! Extremely relaxing. Exercise classes were very easy to keep up with. The food is top notch. Wait staff and chef didn't have any problems with GF foods. Will return!

Room Tip: Lake view cottage was wonderful.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
lakeaustinspa, General Manager at Lake Austin Spa Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
We would be happy to arrange a monthly visit for you! (wink wink) All kidding aside, your review is like music to our ears. We're so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Lake Austin Spa Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Cumming, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Just returned from Lake Austin Spa. I've been on a "spa quest" with a few girlfriends the past few years and this was our second spa weekend. That being said, I have had many, many day spa experiences all over the country and feel pretty well qualified to compare (yep, lucky girl, for sure!). Lake Austin Spa was a pretty easy trek from the airport in Austin, so no complaints there. I like being able to get a feel for the local area and the drive did the trick--I want to go back and see more of Austin! Once we arrived, we went to the desk and had a very nice introduction in the lobby. We were given information packets and personalized water bottles. We were shown the dining room and gift shop and the information desk for activities. Then we were shown our room and given the option to upgrade to another room. We checked out our room and then took a quick look at the upgraded room. They were the same, size wise. The upgraded room did have an unobstructed lake view which was lovely and would have allowed us to sit on the chairs out front of every unit. It had been newly redecorated, but that was it. We didn't see the need to spend more for a (basically) identical room. If decoration and view are important to you, then book the lake view room. That being said, the whole spa kind of feels like your grandma's house. Not in a bad way--just think chintz and antiques. The blue room in the spa is similar. I would suggest they swap out some of the less comfy furniture for more of the chaise lounges with blankets (crochet blankets--there's the granny factor again). The treatment rooms and other areas of the spa are lovely. Comfy, well equipped and clean. Very Zen. I had several amazing treatments and was super pleased with all of them. Highly recommend the "Texas Starry Night" treatment for the evening you arrive. I slept like a baby! Cozy beds helped that too! I was lucky enough to have Elizabeth Scott for 3 treatments. Make sure you request her if you have any specific aches and pains. I told my friend about her and she lucked up and got her and knew who she was based on my description of her techniques (painless, but effective treatment of neck and shoulder woes). Remember to request Elizabeth--you won't be disappointed! Note to you-they have a great steam room and they do have lovely lavender iced hand towels, but they aren't near the steam shower. For some reason, the are by the regular shower. Would have been perfect to take into the steam, but I didn't see until after. Nit-picky, I know...
The outdoor pool near the spa building is perfect. Wouldn't change on thing. Ok, maybe I'd add some pool service and a smoothie bar. Nit-picky, I know. Didn't partake of the pool barn or the pool by the hotel area. It looked like it needed more shaded areas or umbrellas. We did take out a kayak and some paddle boards for a short spin on the lake. Fun was had by all! Just watch out for the wakeboard boats. The wake can be a killer--as can the loud (sometimes inappropriate) music they are known for. Kind of a bummer when you are looking for peace and quiet, but I guess it can't be helped on a public lake.
The food was very, very good. There are two restaurants available to overnight guests. The one near the rooms was very good. If you're hungry, you'd better order big. The portions are small--probably the correct size we should be eating, tho! We learned to order an appetizer (literally one or two bites), soup or salad and entree. Everything is fresh and healthy and there are plenty of choices. On the healthy side, they don't use salt (or very much). We automatically added a bit and the flavors were greatly enhanced. Better under-salted than over! We discovered the restaurant in the spa on the last day. It was absolutely fabulous! Would have eaten every meal there, if we could have. Highly recommend the Cajun Portobello Sandwich--devine!
Last of all, make sure you plan some time in one of the hammocks near the river. My personal fave is the red one near the boat house. Sheer perfection! The lake is a stone's throw away and you are under some giant, lovely trees (hopefully with a slight breeze). Perfect for napping or reading.
The staff are lovely and accommodating--they'll even pack up a lunch for you to take on the day you depart! My friend's luggage did not arrive until they day after she got there. She asked for a toothbrush at the desk and they did not have any. And I also forgot to pack one. Upon hearing this the next day, someone ran out and bought me one and delivered it to my room! Luckily, my friend's luggage showed up that evening or they would have gotten her one too! That being said, I can't think of a better place to not have your luggage! Where else can you literally wear nothing but a robe all day (even when dining!). You don't need make up either. Maybe a ponytail holder and some work out clothes. That's it. Having done this before, I still over packed. Maybe I'll learn for next time.
There are many activities to choose from. We kept it low key and did a foam roller class and a yoga class and a meditation class. All seemed to be geared for beginners (it looked like there were more intense options to choose) and at 30 minutes were a little short. There was a wine tasting and a cooking demo (gluten free), as well. Something for everyone....
Lake Austin was lovely and would recommend to anyone needing a time out.

Room Tip: See my review for room info.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Winborne4,
What a lovely review and thank you for taking the time to share your spa experience on Tripadvsor. We're happy to know that your "spa quest" was a success and that you identified your favorite hammock on the property. It sounds like you did a little bit of everything and there was something for everyone in your group, as you say. That makes us smile. Your comments are noted and will be shared with our team - we appreciate your time and hope to see you back at the lake again soon!
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Just returned from LASR and enjoyed every minute of it! What a peaceful, restful, restorative place. I especially loved that there are no cars coming and going on the property. Instead I was able to come and go from the main building without worrying about crossing the street and it simply added to the tranquility of the atmosphere. Such a hidden gem in the city of Austin! I arrived a busy, frantic, women with a long to-do list and I left calmed and soothed. The best way I can describe it is it softened me around the edges. 3 nights was perfect! And I’d recommend it for a girl’s get away or a couples retreat, or solo excursion.

Service: It is not the Four Seasons or St. Regis style of service where the staff addresses you by your last name. It is as if walking into a place you have been before and you are old friends. The staff members are outgoing and friendly. And I heard the casual term “y’all” from one of the waitresses. So it is a casual style of service, but they will go out of their way to make sure you have all you need. For example, a waitress was assisting us and had left to get our coffee as we discussed the breakfast menu. Somehow she had overheard my guest say how much she loved smoked salmon for breakfast. When the waitress returned to take our order, she took my order and then turned to my friend and said “would you like to have the smoked salmon for breakfast? What attention to detail! And then later she overheard us saying we were hungry after our workout and offered to make us trail mix to snack on. Now that’s customer service I appreciate! And I wish I had gotten her name. For LASR management, she is a mature woman with dark, medium length hairstyle and glasses. Give her our many thanks for making our stay so pleasant. Also, we greatly enjoyed visiting with the evening manager – the trim, blond, mature women, with short hair. She was such a great conversationalist and made us laugh many times. A positive, bright attitude that is welcoming and warm.
And that reminds me the only room for improvement was the attitudes of a couple of staff. The boat captain and my pedicurist (mature woman from NM) had a complaining attitude and could use a reminder that guests are here to unwind and re-energize and don’t want to hear people complain. If they could be coached on topics to talk about when with clients, it would be a better experience. Say maybe the history of the area or their fun experiences while being on staff.
But overall, the staff was fantastic, friendly and casual and made you feel at home. Many thanks to Cindy (pool fitness coach), Rudy and Ryan in the main dining room, and Flavia at the Spa Café. They were great!

The new updated Lakeview rooms are beautiful. Ours had 2 double beds beautifully adorned with luxury linens and plenty of pillows. I liked that the closet light came on automatically and was convenient for middle of the night bathroom visits. Helpful suggestions for future guests: A housekeeper comes by around 5:30pm to fill up the ice bucket and turn down the beds. She will also draw back the outside awning. Ask her to not draw it back, so in the morning, the chairs aren’t covered in dew or rain. Also leave your shoes outside the door. We tracked many pebbles into our room and when I asked housekeeping to clean them up, she didn’t understand English and took the extra roll of toilet paper out of the bathroom instead. LOL. Also, call the staff to light your outside candle. The mosquitoes were only thick at dawn and dusk. But the matches provided were too soggy from being kept outside that they wouldn’t light. Also the front desk had mosquito repellent and anti-itch cream in case needed.

Meals: They are delicious! Although the starter plate is the size of a silver dollar! But I learned to order a starter, salad, soup, meal and dessert. The food is simply amazing and there are daily specials. You won’t see many bread items or items overloaded with cheese. Just wonderful, unique culinary creations – some fresh from the garden! And don’t miss the goat cheese -truffle raviolis for dinner and the blue cheese dressing at the lunch salad bar. There is unlimited supply of sorbet or yogurt – also very tasty. And in the evening there are 3 dessert choices. These are not on any menu – so if not offered - be sure to ask! And we dined on the dock and outside a couple of times when the weather permitted. One couple had starters and wine in the library and then went to the dining room for dinner. Lots of options. And bread baquettes are available upon request. Espresso machine for lattes, etc… in main dining hall as well as coffee (which I thought tasted good), hot teas, green teas, water etc… For breakfast there is almond and soy milk along with regular milk and fresh squeezed grapefruit and oj.

Quiet spaces: Visit the Garden Library – I was the only one there many times, so if you need a quite space to read, it’s a great location. My friend and I also enjoyed starting our day with coffee in the library. So peaceful.

Spa: I enjoyed the Sweden to Tibet massage and the hydrating pedicure. Both are good, but the pedicure isn’t much of a spa experience in my opinion. People talk loudly inside the salon area and the music is rock. So in my opinion, I should have skipped it and booked a facial instead. But I really enjoyed the spa pool and locker room hot tub, steam room and outdoor shower. Razors, deodorant, makeup remover, lotion, qtips, shampoo, conditioner, and body wash provided. Curling iron and blow dryer too. Also, the Blue Room isn’t used when waiting for hair cuts and mani/pedi appointments – only for spa services. There is a nice boutique upstairs that has makeup, skincare, perfume, lotions, etc. for sale – next to the Blue Room. And there is hot tea or flavored water and nuts and dried fruit to snack on in that area. The café is beautifully decorated and the food is unique and delicious. My friend had the chicken club sandwich twice. I liked the bbq flatbread and portabella sandwich. Frozen sorbet and yogurt is also available there as well. Now, the menu will have prices on it, so let them know if you are in-house or a day visitor. If in-house, you will not be charged.

Attire: Robes are in fashion at the spa café. I rarely saw anyone dressed in regular clothing at that café during lunch. Yet in the main dining room, guests dressed business casual or a little dressy for dinner. Shorts and athletic wear for morning and lunch at main dining area. Also, I wished I had left my jewelry at home. There is a safe, so I used that, but it would have been simpler to leave it at home. I was too busy riding hydro bikes, hiking, going to cooking class, and spa treatments or swimming to wear jewelry.

And if you love to cook or need quick, healthy meals, go to the cooking demos. Both chefs were great and the meals were delightfully easy! But Chef Stepane was so very entertaining!!! One group booked him for a private demo and dinner one night. Very special experience!

The boat trip provides you with a fanny pack for keys and such and cool peppermint towels on the return trip. An easy 2 mile hike with little incline. Moderate physical fitness required for the rocky paths. Also a great way to meet fellow guests. I’d recommend doing this in the beginning of your trip to get to know fellow travelers. It was fun to run into each other at dinner and such after the excursion. But if you are seeking a solo, contemplative trip, there is always room service!

I wished the chakra balancing class was longer and we had done a more thorough balancing session. I’ve studied the chakras a little and knew about them, so this class was more about teaching them and not experiencing the benefits of a deeper meditation. My ideal would have been for him to teach them and then spent 15 or more minutes leading us through a deep meditation moving from one chakra to the other saying the mantra instead of stopping and starting to teach the color, symbol, mantra, etc...

I found the Tarot card experience fascinating. I did a 30 min. session. I asked about a specific subject on my mind. And his answers were very interesting. Along with helpful suggestions.

So all in all, it was a fantastic experience! One of the benefits I’ve already been aware of was during a stressful work situation today, I was able to take it all in, yet remain emotionally calm during the ordeal. And I’ll take that any day! Thanks LASR for restoring a deeper peace inside me!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
lakeaustinspa, General Manager at Lake Austin Spa Resort, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
What a wonderful review - and the title, "Sweet Serenity" is so fitting. Thank you for your comments about your visit to Lake Austin Spa Resort, we know it took awhile to write, and we've read every single word with care and will pass on your comments to our team. Mostly, you have put smiles on all of our faces when you say that your experience has restored a deeper peace inside of you. That's our wish for all of our guests, and we are so happy we could deliver that to you. We will look forward to your next visit and thank you again for taking the time to share.

Vero Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Went to this beautiful resort for a girls weekend on September 12. We had booked for massages and paid the resort fee to use the pools and relax after a hard travel day. First of all, the resort is so pretty and lots of spots to walk and explore. We were checked into the spa, changed into our robes and wow! We entered the Blue Room (relaxation room) and were blown away. This room is pure elegance and relaxation combined. I had booked an 80 minute aromatherapy massage with Cindy and it was perfect! She really knew what she was doing and I left feeling so relaxed. The only reason I did not give this resort 5 stars was I did not actually stay there so do not know how the rooms were. Lunch at the spa was good but service was slow. We sat outside for about 20 mins before anyone came out to take our order. Would certainly return!

Dear Shirley P,

We want to say "wow" right back at you for your terrific review and glowing remarks about your girls weekend. We're so happy you loved the Blue Room - it's one our guests' favorite spots at the resort. Thank you for the comments about the service on the day of your visit, we will follow up with our food & beverage department about this and we REALLY hope you will choose to stay the night on your next visit so that we can earn that 5th star from you.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2014

Fabulous. I loved every part of my stay - the spa treatments, the exercise classes and the gourmet cuisine. Everything exceeded my expectations! The staff could not have been more accommodating. Every need was immediately met with a smile. I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
lakeaustinspa, General Manager at Lake Austin Spa Resort, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
And we can't wait for your return either! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others - it means a lot to us and we'll be sure to share your gracious compliments with our staff.

Streator, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2014

Great place to relax and enjoy spa services. The food was great and staff very friendly. I was very disappointed in the accommodations. I don't consider the ranking anywhere near the 4.5 stars. I was more than ready to check out after 3 nights and waking up to a bug crawling on me.
I would never recommend this resort to anyone. I choose 4 spa services and only 2 were up to my expectations. The manicure was one of the worse I every had.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
lakeaustinspa, General Manager at Lake Austin Spa Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2014
Dear RitaW,

We’re so happy to hear that you were able to relax during your visit and that our staff and food were highlights of your visit. We are surprised to hear your comments about the accommodations and the manicure and would like to discuss the situation with you further. Please get in touch with us at info@lakeaustin.com so that we can understand where we fell short in meeting your expectations.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014

What a way to improve your mind, body and spirit. I was looking forward to lying down in green pastures (well, really one of the hammocks) along still waters, while God restoreth my soul. I had no idea I would be so busy paddle boarding, hydro biking, taking awesome classes and activities. The food far exceeded expectations--intriguing ingredient parings and layers of flavor with every dish. I felt like I was at the epitome of adult "camp"! Seemed everyone was a repeat guest and I can't wait to be one myself.

Room Tip: I loved the cabin I was in--15. I don't think it's necessary to get a lakeview room as you...
Dear MrsLifeofRiley,

We appreciate you spending the time to tell others about your experience at Lake Austin Spa Resort. I truly hope you were able to spend some "Swing Time" in the hammocks on our green pastures as we know that definitely contributes to improving the mind, body and spirit. It sounds like you spent a lot of time on Lake Austin participating in many of the activities, which in our opinion, are just as restorative. We look forward to welcoming you back to our shores soon.

Lake Austin Spa Resort

Been to Lake Austin Spa Resort? Share your experiences!